DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Finally pre-ordered the AEW game. I don't know if it will have long term playability for me or if I'll play it a lot in one day and then get distracted by something better, but it looks amusing enough to give a try. I don't care if its pretty as long as its fun, yea the collision animations aren't great and some of the models are a little iffy but as long as its fun I'm pretty forgiving.

• Like 1

30 person online battle royale called Stadium Stampede was datamined, along with a battle pass. That’s gonna be polarizing, I’m sure. But as someone who liked Rumbleverse, count me in.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's impressions of the game. I really want to pick it up but I'm going to wait a while because that is a very small roster considering what AEW has locked down. Once more people have been added and everything's been fleshed out, as long as y'all like it I think I'll hop aboard the train. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Casey said:

30 person online battle royale called Stadium Stampede was datamined, along with a battle pass. That’s gonna be polarizing, I’m sure. But as someone who liked Rumbleverse, count me in.

Spoiler

I think my one big concern with the game is how short matches seem to go. I can't recall how long my matches against the CPU went in No Mercy, but I know my matches against my friends would go so long that the timer would tick over to 60 minutes and then freeze there. We had so many epic matches. I don't even know how we didn't break any of our N64 controllers.

And those matches didn't go that long because we were fucking around or stalling. It was just always 4 of us in an all out fight. We would either play tornado tag or tag ladder match with KOs on. The mashing of buttons to recover from being KOd, to avoid being KOd, etc. was faster than anything we've ever done before. 

With Fight Forever, it seems like the matches are going to be much, much, much shorter even when playing against friends.

Yeah, I'll probably buy this to support what they're trying to do and have a play round with for a week, but with short matches, seemingly easy AI and limited single player content I expect to be parking it after a while and seeing what they update

There have been screenshots of per-character overall damage and per-finisher damage settings, which would allow roster-wide tweaks for balancing/match length purposes, but there's been no evidence they can actually be changed for non-Caw wrestlers as of the launch build

It seems a no-brainer to allow that, because with chain wrestling, 1-5 finishers with variable damage output per character, weight detection and at least some injury selling all in the game, it seems like a waste to have the matches be these condensed "2-3 minutes with the first finisher winning" sprints

I was able to play one match this morning. I liked it. I wrestled as Eddie against Miro. I mean, this is basically No Mercy and it plays like a No Mercy that wasn't so bogged down by the N64. I could see my friends and I having a ton of fun with this.

The AI isn't anything to write home about. It's basically a glorified punching bag. But the game plays well enough and in my one match nothing was buggy, no one t-posed, no models started spasming or anything. I'm looking forward to digging into this more when I have some more time later today.

• Like 3

I will also add that review wise, I expected this to get 6s and 7s and that looks to be what it's getting. That makes sense. To put things another way, this is a way, way, way better start to a wrestling game franchise than how AKI started with WCW vs the World on the PS1. Hell, it's better than AKI's first go on the N64 and nearly, nearly as good as WCW/nWo Revenge. To me that's a hell of a start, so you have to go in knowing that that's what this is, a start. No one should have been expecting something to rival the 2K series massive suite of customization and modes, but I also think it plays better than that game.

So right now, if the thought was in two years of releasing a sequel, they have the game engine down. Do some tweaking to the game engine, work on the AI, work on the creation suite, work on the match types, and just keep going. This isn't like the TNA game. This is essentially reliving the AKI team starting out making wrestling games, but ahead of where they were at when they started the first time and that's good enough for me.

Do I think the price should be $60? Probably not. I think $40 to $50 would have been the sweet spot to charge for this as a new release. I'm also not sour and don't feel like a dope for spending $70 on the Elite version of the game.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 7

I don’t know if the storylines are always the same or whatever, but I started Road to Elite with Punk and I’m immediately put into a tag team storyline with Hangman. 😂😂 I lost the title match against Best Friends, who STEAMROLLED me. For context, I’ve been on hard difficulty, having 6ish minute matches. I beat Sting & Paul Wight pretty handily. But Chuck & Trent were beasts. I think there might be buffs or something for teams, so if it’s a makeshift team vs an established one, you’re going to have a bad time.

Now I’m doing some online matches, and hey, this shit is actually fun. It’s not dopes spamming stuff - I lost, but my first one was Danielson (me) versus Miro and it was a fun little match.

I’m not mad I spent $80 for the Elite version. It’s weird that you have to manually make the teams for the Hardys and FTR, but whatever. A few months from now, with updates, this’ll be really good IMO. Tweak the AI, add more CAW and existing roster customization, more modes… hell yeah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got in a couple matches this morning before heading to work then getting a notification that no one was going in because of the smoke so I just got back home. It plays like a slightly faster version of the old AKI engine which makes sense. Should be fun but there's room for improvement. And yeah the AI isn't the best right now I played on normal and just dominated my opponents which is in comparison to WWE2K where I think the AI counters too much.

• Like 1

I don't like how the arcadey play looks, but hey, Attitude/momentum bars are back!

The reviews read like "wait for a few patches, a price drop, and some DLC" is the best play for me.

It's fine. Not a fan of punch and kick being on two buttons, I'd rather have them be like the older game where it's based on distance. Controls will take a bit of getting used to but nothing too bad.

I like shorter matches in a video game. I don't need to be there for an hour playing one match like when I was playing the N64 games because I was a teenager back then with way more time on my hands. As long as the matches are fun (and so far they are) then that's all that matters to me.

I don't want to be mean but people complaining about the graphics are dorks. OH NO I CAN'T SEE INDIVIDUAL SWEAT DROPLETS, whatever. The visuals are fine, nothing looks broken or glitchy, good deal.

Haven't messed with the creative suite in too much depth but it reminds me a lot of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy where you don't have a lot of visual options but you have a ton of move options. Pretty true to form there.

All in all, if you wanted a No Mercy, this is a perfectly cromulent dupe. I'm pretty satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

How are y'all playing today, I thought it was out tomorrow?

If you preordered the Elite edition then you can play today starting at 9 am est. Also, apparently Walmart has had it on store shelves for the last couple days.

4 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

It's fine. Not a fan of punch and kick being on two buttons, I'd rather have them be like the older game where it's based on distance. Controls will take a bit of getting used to but nothing too bad.

Yeah, that's one thing I don't care for, with the punch and kick being on different buttons. After all of these years, the perfect control system is light and strong strikes on separate buttons, light and strong grapples on separate buttons. In the one match I played I don't even think I used the kick button all that much. Or, stick with just one button for strikes, but use the stick direction to modify the type of strike that's thrown and light press is for light strikes and long press is for strong strikes. That's 10 different strikes you can assign to a wrestler right there.