DVDVR Message Board

Raw is El Hijo De Nick Patrick! - 2/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Fun show to be at. Took my nephew, who is not super familiar with wrestling but managed to drop his teenage grumpiness to get into a few matches, especially Rollins/Ford and the post-main brawl. One disappointment was that the women didn't get a match. In my wrestling crash course texts in the lead up to the show, I really pushed how the women have generally been the best, most interesting parts of the show for the last couple years. It was fun seeing Danny Duggan as one of the security goons breaking up the brawl, though.

After the show went off the air, Drew McIntyre came down to help out Owens and that turned into McIntyre/Rollins. Mostly an extended squash, with some fun house show stooging from Rollins. Drew goaded Rollins into the ring by claiming he has "tiny balls" and getting the crowd to chant "tiny balls" at him (he's definitely turning into a McMahon face). Rollins responded during the match by doing the Sam Cassell big balls taunt. Probably the high point of a pretty decent night.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, elizium said:

Fun show to be at. Took my nephew, who is not super familiar with wrestling but managed to drop his teenage grumpiness to get into a few matches, especially Rollins/Ford and the post-main brawl. One disappointment was that the women didn't get a match. In my wrestling crash course texts in the lead up to the show, I really pushed how the women have generally been the best, most interesting parts of the show for the last couple years. It was fun seeing Danny Duggan as one of the security goons breaking up the brawl, though.

After the show went off the air, Drew McIntyre came down to help out Owens and that turned into McIntyre/Rollins. Mostly an extended squash, with some fun house show stooging from Rollins. Drew goaded Rollins into the ring by claiming he has "tiny balls" and getting the crowd to chant "tiny balls" at him (he's definitely turning into a McMahon face). Rollins responded during the match by doing the Sam Cassell big balls taunt. Probably the high point of a pretty decent night.

I wanted to take my six year old nephew, who apparently knows who Braun Strowman is, but there's no way he would last on a Monday night. Next house show that is here, I am definitely taking him for some chicken nuggets and wrestling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

See, this is the mentality I really hate sometimes.

Not a shot at you personally by any means but wrestling needs these guys. Big, scary looking dudes, who can win a midcard title every now and then but who otherwise provide a physical roadblock for the rising hero.

Too often nowdays we are quick to write guys off as 'main event/upper mid carder or bust'.

Just like the forever debate we had about comedy acts like Santino and Breezango, the world needs it's Godwinns, Gunns and Gangrels...

It could use some George Souths and Barry Horowitzes, too, but I'm going to guess that's not coming back anytime soon.

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

It could use some George Souths and Barry Horowitzes, too, but I'm going to guess that's not coming back anytime soon.

That's a huge and underrated part of how midcarders and JTTS stayed over back in the day (and how signature moves and finishers got established)

I miss squash matches so much. You never could've convinced 14 year old me that WCW and Nitro killing squashes was going to end up making me sad.

They sort of tried to protect Rowan by needing two Black Mass kicks to go down, and with a sort of distraction on the rematch - but this is the usual 'squeezed between the sides' booking around Wrestlemania where if you're not going to be on the main card then you're cannon fodder. Especially from the individual brand perspective, as there's a decent chance he'll get traded shortly after Mania anyway.

I sort of agree with @L_W_P - Rowan isn't really a main-eventer in waiting and has limited babyface potential. As such, yeah he's going to do jobs for the people who might be top guys one day. 'Having said that', the audience has spent a lot of time watching these squash matches, and following the cage angle, and for him to lose to a guy he's not even really feuding with does seem like a poor payoff for the investment. The 'mystery' of what is in the cage lives, I guess, but if he's a jobber then does anybody really care?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Straight Edge Society ripoff.

The Straight Edge Society was *ten years ago*.  There are a ton of viewers who weren't alive when it happened. 

I know there's a lot of hate for Seth on this board, but honestly, this ain't it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Straight Edge Society was *ten years ago*.  There are a ton of viewers who weren't alive when it happened. 

I know there's a lot of hate for Seth on this board, but honestly, this ain't it. 

I'm aware of that, it's still a crappy cover.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

According to the Book of Cornette- you have a 7 year wait u till you can rehash an angle.

He also based that on the territory days, so I'm not sure if it still applies. I know there are a lot of spots that I wish would stay gone for far longer than seven years (the superheavyweight superplex making the ring collapse, for example).

16 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

He also based that on the territory days, so I'm not sure if it still applies. I know there are a lot of spots that I wish would stay gone for far longer than seven years (the superheavyweight superplex making the ring collapse, for example).

How often has that one been done? I recall Brock/Show, Henry/Show, and I think Braun/Show. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dewar said:

I wanted to take my six year old nephew, who apparently knows who Braun Strowman is, but there's no way he would last on a Monday night. Next house show that is here, I am definitely taking him for some chicken nuggets and wrestling.

There was a dad and his kid in front of us. Don't know how old the kid was, 4 to 6 something like that. Surprisingly he stayed interested and engaged the whole way through. That seems like a rarity though. Even I was zoning out sometime around Black/Rowan.

Edited by elizium