DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Invisible Man got four stars from the Ebert site

Lawful, you have seen the Director's Cut of Nightbreed, right?

No, can't say that I have.  Didn't know there was one.  Very curious because Nightbreed seems like it got butchered in the editing room.

Saw The Invisible Man and really liked it. Some amazingly tense moments. I was in love with the first 3/4 of the movie and then because of one little thing those feelings changed quite a bit.

She slashes her fucking wrist and then she feels no ill effects from it?

• Like 1

I I also saw Invisible Man over the weekend and thought it was pretty awesome.

Spoiler

I thought it was cool that they had a somewhat practical and real world solution to how to achieve invisibility.  Saying anything more would ruin the plot.

15 hours ago, driver said:

Saw The Invisible Man and really liked it. Some amazingly tense moments. I was in love with the first 3/4 of the movie and then because of one little thing those feelings changed quite a bit.

Reveal hidden contents

She slashes her fucking wrist and then she feels no ill effects from it?

Yeah, but:

Spoiler

I'm not sure how bad that wrist wound really was since the whole point was for her to lure Adrian out into the open by convincing him that she was going to commit suicide.  I think she made the wound just nasty enough to draw blood but probably didn't slice anything major, and she only wounded herself on one arm.  I don't think she cut both of her wrists.

The trailers for Antlers and the new Candyman were attached to Invisible Man.  STOKED.

Edited by J.T.

Run, Sweetheart, Run, the Blumhouse joint that debuted at Sundance 2020 has a trailer now and a general release date of May 8th.

Also, The Hunt (the Blumhouse lowbrow political satire and modern adaptation of The Most Deadliest Game postponed after the mass shootings in Dayton, OH and El Paso, TX) has a release date of March 13th.  And you guessed it.  March 13th is a Friday.

Edited by J.T.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:50 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Let me know when they make decent movies out of The Great and Secret Show and Weaveworld.  Or remake Nightbreed (Cabal).  goddammit

I am not sure if the world is ready for The Magdalene, but it'd be nice for people to see that The Rake isn't a recent Creepypasta invention..

On 2/27/2020 at 10:08 AM, J.T. said:

Extended RED BAND trailer for Antlers.

So much for keeping things ambiguous since you can clearly hear the word "wendigo" in the beginning of the Native American chant going on in the trailer.

If you want to read Nick Antosca's The Quiet Boy before you go see Antlers, you can find it in the link below"

https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy//

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I I also saw Invisible Man over the weekend and thought it was pretty awesome.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was cool that they had a somewhat practical and real world solution to how to achieve invisibility.  Saying anything more would ruin the plot.

Yeah, but:

Hide contents

I'm not sure how bad that wrist wound really was since the whole point was for her to lure Adrian out into the open by convincing him that she was going to commit suicide.  I think she made the wound just nasty enough to draw blood but probably didn't slice anything major, and she only wounded herself on one arm.  I don't think she cut both of her wrists.

The trailers for Antlers and the new Candyman were attached to Invisible Man.  STOKED.

Came in during the previews and saw Candyman, but didn't see the one for Antlers.

I thought it was a pretty nasty cut as she went down the vein instead of across. It was just the left wrist. At least that was the one that was bandaged when she went to see him at the end. That would be one hell of a continuity error if they bandaged the wrong one. I still enjoyed the movie. At least that was the only issue I had with it, unlike Hunters that had me scratching my head as how old Jonah's mother was when she have birth to him.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay so I feel I need to see The Invisible Man now but it has no connection to Tom Cruise Mummy right? 

Nope.  It's a complete stand alone.  Hopefully this movie and Upgrade are the start of a second renaissance for director Leigh Whannell since he's done about all there is to do as a writer and producer.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully this movie and Upgrade are the start of a second renaissance for director Leigh Whannell since he's done about all there is to do as a writer and producer.

He is supposedly doing the Escape From New York remake

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3607570/candyman-director-bernard-rose-details-unmade-sequel-depth-ever-exclusive/

Bernard Rose on his unmade Candyman sequel. Interesting story. Incidentally I forgot he made Immortal Beloved (!) right after Candyman (which if you haven't seen it you should, btw. Immortal Beloved that is). 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I am digging the A21 style minimalist approach to the Antebellum trailers.   It looks awesome and I still have no idea what it's about.

Edited by J.T.

Watched Bliss on Shudder. 

It pretty much has one speed and all the characters have the same "Fuck you, you fuckin fuck" note, but apparently I was in the mood for a vapid hipster art rager on vampires. It's 80 minutes and has some nifty blood orgy visuals. If you need characters to be "relatable" then unless you're an asshole you probably won't enjoy it. Or maybe you will in a "I like to watch Jason kill dumb teenagers" kind of way. 

Funny you should have just watched that as I finally caught The Addiction last night. It was almost over on Encore and had no more showings so I used the On Demand to snatch it. Edie Falco and Michael Imperioli were both in it which must've made them showing up on The Sopranos a funny coincidence for them ("hey, I remember you from that weird Ferrara movie!"). Christopher Walken also shows up to do a pitch perfect Walken Cameo where he has a whole pile of dialogue then promptly disappears from the movie. It's not as hipster as Bliss I imagine, rather more intellectual with its focus on a philosophy student. There's lots of name-dropping and terminology that is gonna make me ask my published professor friend if he's seen it yet. And as expected it is hyper Catholic in that guilty-ass Ferrara manner. Pretty good, and I think I have a thing for Lili Taylor now... at least in black and white, and covered in blood.

• Like 2

This Friday the 13th, Joe Bob and Darcy will be live tweeting while watching FRIDAY THE 13th, THE FINAL CHAPTER, starting at 9pm EST. NOTE: This is NOT a Shudder event and it's NOT on Shudder: it's just something JBB and Darcy are doing for fun.
For more details, go to: https://www.mutantfam.com/joebob

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, jaedmc said:

Watched Bliss on Shudder. 

It pretty much has one speed and all the characters have the same "Fuck you, you fuckin fuck" note, but apparently I was in the mood for a vapid hipster art rager on vampires. It's 80 minutes and has some nifty blood orgy visuals. If you need characters to be "relatable" then unless you're an asshole you probably won't enjoy it. Or maybe you will in a "I like to watch Jason kill dumb teenagers" kind of way. 

I need to watch Bliss again because I am not sure if the movie is overstuffed with symbolism or if I'm just trying to ascribe meaning to something that isn't necessarily symbolic.

Was Begos trying to equate substance abuse with vampirism or were the blood orgy transitions to Dezzy's renewed artistic fervor representative of the spiritual cost of forced creativity?  There's a lot of shit going on in that movie and I may be an idiot for assuming that some or all of it has some sort of philosophical context. 

The shit may simply be about a drug that turns people into flesh eating blood freaks..

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I need to watch Bliss again because I am not sure if the movie is overstuffed with symbolism or if I'm just trying to ascribe meaning to something that isn't necessarily symbolic.

Was Begos trying to equate substance abuse with vampirism or were the blood orgy transitions to Dezzy's renewed artistic fervor representative of the spiritual cost of forced creativity?  There's a lot of shit going on in that movie and I may be an idiot for assuming that some of all of it has some sort of philosophical context. 

The shit may simply be about a drug that turns people into flesh eating blood freaks..

I think it's a combination. I wanna say Begos was responding to inactivity. I think it was four years between Bliss and his last movie, and for Bliss he was like "Fuck it I have to make something anything." instead of waiting for Hollywood to support him(which it wasn't). You can see a lot of that with the revelation that none of her paintings are selling and her agent has no faith(nor should he, I suppose). The frustration of trying to create something that works commercially has stifled the artist.

But there's no safety net of friends or community. Her boyfriend is exploiting her. Her drug dealer says he's her best friend but he's a you know her drug dealer. And her gal pal made her into a blood sucking vampire. Everyone is sucking the life out of everyone in Los Angeles. It's built on an industry that does just that, so of course the people on the lowest level of the pyramid do it to each other. 

The drugs are perhaps a red herring for the character. The moment she says something like- "Hey just tell me what I need to take to level this out." was humorous bit of dramatic irony. But drugs are both apart of the problem and a mask to keep people from realizing "you're a fucking vampire bro".

------TOPIC CHANGE------

BY THE WAY.

GINGER SNAPS was on Shudder this morning and I realized now that it opened at the Munich Fantasy Filmfest in August of 2000. So 20 years old this year. 19 if you'd rather count it's wide release.

If it weren't for pop culture I don't think I'd ever feel old.

• Like 1

I don't post a lot here because I have a podcast for this shit and letterboxd and twitter and all of that garbage where I talk about horror movies but goddamn The Color Out of Space was fucking great and you should all see it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I don't post a lot here because I have a podcast for this shit and letterboxd and twitter and all of that garbage where I talk about horror movies but goddamn The Color Out of Space was fucking great and you should all see it.

You have a podcast where you talk about horror and you haven't asked us for our expert opinions?  I am offended.... 

…. not really since I have horrible opinions.....

And yeah, I've heard good things about The Colour Out of Space so I'll have to check it out for myself.