DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Couldn't go back to sleep this morning so I got a head start on the day and did some dishes while watching whatever was on Shudder TV. I make it a habbit to just flip it on and see what's what.

Caught the end of Friday the 13th 3. If it were a wrestling match it would have two many holy shit near falls for 2.999999. 

That lead into Friday the 13th part 4, which is one of the worst. The concept of Tommy is fucking rad. But this has to be one the shittiest, least interesting group of teenagers in the whole series. 

The Friday series is one that I think I like the aura or nostalgia of than the actual movies. 

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

But this has to be one the shittiest, least interesting group of teenagers in the whole series. 

I read an analysis of their individual character arcs someone wrote somewhere that said the exact opposite. And hey, Crispin Glover? And HE GETS LAID?! C'mon.

Crispin Glover dancing is the only redeemable element to the teens. On paper one could say it's an interesting "arc" but in execution it's not fun to watch happen.

Just finished watching the Director's Cut of Midsommar on Apple TV! 

I did not think the added footage would matter, but it definitely felt like a much more rounded story than the theatrical version. 

Even clocking in at nearly three hours, it didn't feel ponderous at all.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:08 AM, J.T. said:

I am a Brinke Stevens man, but Linnea is still the goods.

I wonder if I am the only poster here that can claim to have been kissed on the cheek by both lovely ladies. Sadly, I've never met Michelle Bauer so no completing the trifecta... ;-(

Brinke Stevens is every bit as cool as you might imagine. Not only is she stunningly beautiful, but she is a total comic book nerd.

• Like 2

TREMORS just got added to (Canadian) Netflix! Haven’t seen that since it was a new release (at which point I watched it a dozen times). Might try to make a double feature with THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE.

• Like 1

New Release Dates

Antebellum - August 21, 2020

Spiral (the next Saw movie that has Samuel L Jackson and Chris Rock) - May 21, 2021

Fatale (Michael Ealy, Hilary Swank) - it is marketed as a psychological thriller but its released date is now Halloween 2020 so I am putting it here

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

New Release Dates

Spiral (the next Saw movie that has Samuel L Jackson and Chris Rock) - May 21, 2021

Fatale (Michael Ealy, Hilary Swank) - it is marketed as a psychological thriller but its released date is now Halloween 2020 so I am putting it here

Damn.  Spiral got pushed back to next year.   I was hoping it would come out closer to Halloween.

Escape Room 2 will now be Oscar eligible as it has moved up a few days to Dec 30 2020

It was originally gonna come out on New Year’s Day

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

New Release Dates

They must be hoping that Wonder Woman 1984 is going to have a huge second week slump.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Escape Room 2 will now be Oscar eligible as it has moved up a few days to Dec 30 2020

It was originally gonna come out on New Year’s Day

My mom's birthday is New Year's Day and she loves scary movies, so I am bummed that I couldn't take her to see a dumb horror movie after taking her out to dinner... assuming that we're not back on coronavirus quarantine again during cold & flu season.

Had a game Friday night, so I missed Joe Bob live, but we fit in MANIAC last night. Every time I watch it I like it more. Tom Savini showed up and talked about the head explosion. I didn't know about his experience in Vietnam and how what he saw there informs his work. They touched briefly on his Night of the Living Dead remake and it sounds like they're going to line that up on a future episode.

I really don't know how Savini was able to internalize his Vietnam experiences and still come out on the other side seemingly stable, even fantastic in comparison to what you might think. There's a story in his doc about his platoon almost setting off a slaughter that is absolutely terrifying. The man seems to have a guardian angel or something.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really don't know how Savini was able to internalize his Vietnam experiences and still come out on the other side seemingly stable, even fantastic in comparison to what you might think. There's a story in his doc about his platoon almost setting off a slaughter that is absolutely terrifying. The man seems to have a guardian angel or something.

I met Savini at Detroit Comic-Con about ten years ago.  A really nice guy who is just as weird and lovable as you'd expect him to be.

I am not so sure he internalized his experience so much as he uses the horror of war as inspiration for his work.  It has certainly given him more appreciation for life.  I think he said "I love you guys!" like every other sentence and it did not seem strained or fake.

The world is a much better place with people like him in it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Someone really needs to release the early horror films of Michele Soavi. I've only seen CEMETERY MAN (DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE), and that's because I torrented it at some point.  It was great. Soavi is a protege of Dario Argento who has also done second unit director work for Terry Gilliam, and CEMETERY MAN, at least, definitely read as a combo of those two directors. Would love to see someone like Arrow or Scream Factory release DELERIA, THE CHURCH, and THE SECT.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:24 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Thought I'd leave this here instead of in any of the music threads. Could have easily just wound up in the metal thread

Claudio really does have a great band together right now. If you ever get an opportunity to see him and his band do a live play-along to one of the movies that Goblin contributed a score to, definitely do so. I saw them on the 2018 tour they did for the original SUSPERIA and it was great.

• Like 1

Yeah, it actually pissed me off when that special edition of The Sect came out not too long after the regular edition. No way was I double dipping for The Sect after buying the regular edition that came out first. The Sect is good. It has a version of the devil that is as freaky in its own way as the goat monster. It opens up with a flashback to some 60's Manson cult type stuff with "A Horse With No Name" playing.  Then it jumps forward to present day where this elaborate plot unfolds to have a teacher get pregnant with the antichrist. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

I loooooooove Brain Damage. It crushes Basket Case on all fronts. 

Speaking of Henenlotter, how were Bad Biology and his documentaries? The Mike Diana one looks particularly interesting. Frankenhooker I've seen part of and should finish sometime.