DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

I still have to see Ready or Not but before I looked up the cast, I mistook Andie MacDowell for Shawnee Smith based off the trailers. 

I've never been a big fan of MacDowell, but she was surprisingly good in Ready or Not.

Really fun, kick ass movie

• Like 1

I didn't really have an opinion of her one way or the other but her character ended up being one of the best in the movie.

Spoiler

She's one of the only family members that seems likable. You want her to end up resisting the family like the brother finally does, but instead she reveals her horrible narcissism with that great line, "You could have been the new me!" (or something close to that) It's a mean little twist that serves to underline the depravity of these people. 

Looks like 3 From Hell is up on Shudder. Daniel Isn't Real is coming soon. And, if you're a real sicko... The Golden Glove is now on there. I'm not gonna tell you what it is, you can look it up on your own. Everything I've read about it makes Henry or Maniac look like a warm-up in comparison.

• Like 1

Alright, finally saw Ready or Not and the ending was fricking awesome. That ending and little throwaway lines like "the rich really are different" definitely gave off a Society vibe. Also the story of the game box reminded me of how the puzzle box in Hellraiser was always acquired.

It was between Ready or Not and VFW for my rental choice, but I'm hoping that VFW will be on Shudder sooner than later, especially since the director's other movie, Bliss, was recently added. Bliss was pretty wild but I had taken some medication before watching it and started dozing off during the second half of the movie, which might have actually enhanced the experience with how wild it got. 

Yeah, I watched The Golden Glove trailer and it looks like some truly depraved filth. Speaking of Henry comparisons, I've still never gotten around to watching Angst on Shudder. Never mind, it's gone, but it's on Amazon Prime now. Reading the description on Amazon, it seems pretty bleak. Say what you want about Henry but the movie had a certain sadistic charm. I just looked up the real life serial killer The Golden Glove is based on, and they do a pretty good job of making the main actor look like the odd looking Fritz Honka.  I don't know when I'll feel up (or down) to watching The Golden Glove. Probably when I'm drinking along with the killer.

I recently watched Confessions of a Serial Killer again, and Robert A. Burns (TCM art director, who created all the gnarly bone furniture) is a pretty close facsimile of the real Henry Lee Lucas, as a simple-minded, puny looking little guy that women didn't know whether to pity or be frightened of when he offered them a ride. The actual movie doesn't really show much and is pretty tame, with the worst scene being a woman's implied fate (not shown) after she makes the mistake of letting Hawkins (the movie's version of Lucas) and Moon (Otis) into her home to take a look at her air conditioner late one night. It's definitely closer to the real-life capture and tall tales of Lucas (although scenes in this suggest the killer isn't just jerking the local police around).  This isn't anywhere near as good as Henry, and more or less takes a similar matter of fact approach to a TV movie. Also the Otis fill-in Moon is just a chubby guy, and is nowhere near as scary or oddly funny as Tom Towles in Henry. 

The actual movie starts at around 13:30 as the uploader put movie trailers in front of it. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

More Shudder premiers: Seoul Station, the animated prequel to Train to Busan (!), is on there as is Return of the Living Dead 3 (dunno if it's R or Unrated). 

I saw that before leaving for work today.  I nearly lost my shit.  I still can't believe I totally blew it in the Summer Blockbuster Pool where Seoul Station was one of the prizes.

Train of Busan is still available on Netflix right now.  Seoul Station is available on Netflix Japan but not Netflix America.  Go figure.  I know you can change your region, but I don't want to fuck up my sister's account.   God knows what she'd do to my Disney+ in retaliation.

Edited by J.T.

Watched 3 From Hell.

It's not Zombie's best but it may be the most....i dunno softest? Yeah it's got the gore and the sadism, but it feels like it's just searching for a happy ending. Or searching for connections. I thought the Dee Wallace stuff was great, and kinda wish he just made a prison movie with Sheri and Dee trying to mind fuck each other.

I will say it has maybe one of Zombie's greatest shots, which is a dog gnawing on a bone sticking out of a grave. You might miss it, it happens kinda fast, but I loved it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

My girlfriend and I love bad horror movies, so I bought her this as part of her Valentine's Day based on no other reason than the tagline:

Boar-Cover.png

When I was stationed in the former West Germany back in the 80's, whenever we were out in the field there were always wild boars trying to scavange our positions so this would probably scare the shit out of me. I'M BUYING IT!!!!

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

When I was stationed in the former West Germany back in the 80's, whenever we were out in the field there were always wild boars trying to scavange our positions so this would probably scare the shit out of me. I'M BUYING IT!!!!

10 bucks at Walmart

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jae I feel you about 3 From Hell. Maybe it's the sense of loss that Sid dying hangs over it, I dunno. 

It feels like a second choice movie. I imagine he wrote it for Haig to have one last ride, and when he found out he couldn't have that he made this movie. I don't want to say his heart wasn't in it because it's more complicated than that. It's probably really hard to make a movie knowing the whole time you can't make the one you want literally because your friend is dying. 

It was tough seeing Sid as sick as he was, but man when he started delivering his lines and you could see the fire in his eyes - I got pretty hyped. CAPTAIN SPAULDING FOREVER MOTHER FUCKER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 7:31 AM, J.T. said:

I saw that before leaving for work today.  I nearly lost my shit.  I still can't believe I totally blew it in the Summer Blockbuster Pool where Seoul Station was one of the prizes.

Technically you blew it twice since you missed on the Train to Busan year too

I don't know if I'd quality VFW as horror but it was really good. If you enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13 and Green Room you'll like this, with the antagonist being the leader of a mob of crazed junkies. There's a lot of gore and surprisingly well developed characters featuring an impressive character actor ensemble of Fred Williamson (and his son?), William Sadler, Stephen Lang, David Patrick Kelly, and Martin Kove. The cinematography and art direction is also quality, though in a number of scenes it's almost too dark.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Technically you blew it twice since you missed on the Train to Busan year too

I hate you.

And I watched Seoul Station on Saturday.  It was pretty awesome.  

I totally forgot that Annabelle Comes Home debuted on HBO on Saturday night, or maybe it was me subconsciously not wanting to patronize the Warrens in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by J.T.