DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2020: OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

So Arkansas already had the toughest schedule in the country

Today the SEC added Georgia and Florida

For context - Alabama got Missouri and Kentucky

Unfortunately, it looks like @Tabe‘s alma mater won’t be getting a crack at Notre Dame after all.

Not a great surprise.  These MAC programs operate on razor thin budgets as it is.  Without all those paycheck games to make their budgets, this seasons was going to be a huge money loser.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Sun Belt and CUSA follow suit, honestly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So Arkansas already had the toughest schedule in the country

Today the SEC added Georgia and Florida

For context - Alabama got Missouri and Kentucky

As someone who lives within earshot of Fayetteville, I feel like this is the program's version of, "LOL like we're going to play all those games anyway."

FTR This week both the Sun Belt and CUSA announces their steadfast commitment to plat a FULL 12 GAME SCHEDULE this season.  However, with fewer and fewer options to fill out their non-conferences slates and their conference games typically being money-losers comparable to the MAC, I think you’re going to see that change now that the MAC bit the bullet and opted out.  Nobody wanted to be first.

Which is a bummer, because Southern Miss and South Alabama were set to play on September 3rd, and I was looking forward to that.

Lots of players tweeting that they want to play including Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.  Lawrence really does make a good argument for playing.   The problem with his argument that he would be safer in a controlled environment then at home is:

1.  They are allowing students in the school so nothing is really controlled.  They are the people to be worried about.  If college football is extremely important then maybe they should just bubble all of the players and shield them from every one else.  Just use them as they really are and not treat them as student

2.  You have a coach who is in complete Jesus mode who either believes the virus is crap or that it is serious and you could pray it away

• Like 2

Granted this isn't official but I would take Dan Patrick over 80% of the other people reporting

I can understand Nebraska and Iowa.  They weren't hit as hard as the other states on the virus and besides maybe West Virginia I can't think of a state that is more dependent on their football then them

28 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Am I too cynical in thinking the college football season will be cancelled more to squash players organizing than health concerns?

I think the NCAA and the schools are absolutely more worried about the players organizing than they are about COVID.  

That said, I don't think cancelling the season helps them much in that regard.  The players will have fewer distractions without full practice/game schedules, so I expect they'll have a better chance to get organized. 

Not playing this year also will require the NCAA to actually  be flexible on eligibility requirements for once.  They'll have to figure out how to handle this year's seniors, junior eligible guys in next year's draft and the incoming recruiting class.  Presumably they'll also have to increase scholarship numbers for next year.

Also, this kinda works like a lockout where the players still get "paid", at least at the big schools.  SEC schools aren't gonna cut back their football budgets - they're too afraid of losing recruits, so the players aren't looking at losing much they're already receiving, outside of exposure.  The schools, however, are going to be losing huge amounts of money this year with the football and basketball cash cows gone.

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Guarantee somebody will blame the season being cancelled on George Floyd

Somebody that resides in Washington DC, and has a vacation place in Florida?

1 minute ago, Robert C said:

I think the NCAA and the schools are absolutely more worried about the players organizing than they are about COVID.  

That said, I don't think cancelling the season helps them much in that regard.  The players will have fewer distractions without full practice/game schedules, so I expect they'll have a better chance to get organized. 

Not playing this year also will require the NCAA to actually  be flexible on eligibility requirements for once.  They'll have to figure out how to handle this year's seniors, junior eligible guys in next year's draft and the incoming recruiting class.  Presumably they'll also have to increase scholarship numbers for next year.

Also, this kinda works like a lockout where the players still get "paid", at least at the big schools.  SEC schools aren't gonna cut back their football budgets - they're too afraid of losing recruits, so the players aren't looking at losing much they're already receiving, outside of exposure.  The schools, however, are going to be losing huge amounts of money this year with the football and basketball cash cows gone.

Somebody that resides in Washington DC, and has a vacation place in Florida?

Nah, that guy will blame it on Obama. 

If the SEC is the only game in town and pulls in, say, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Iowa for scheduling to set up a 16 team format this season, this will get extremely interesting extremely quickly. For the NCAA, for tv money, the P5/G5 split, the whole thing. 

Most likely, however, is the entire thing getting canceled. 

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Am I too cynical in thinking the college football season will be cancelled more to squash players organizing than health concerns?

A number of reporters have quoted anonymous sources who have said as much, so, yes, it’s definitley a factor in at least some members’ decision making.

That’s why a bubble approach isn’t happening.  The moment you move the players off campus (the only way you could do it), you’re acknowledging that they aren’t really student athletes, and the facade of amateurism really starts to crumble.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently the ACC is claiming they will play no matter what the other conferences do

Ugh, as a Pitt fan things like this from the All Carolina Conference makes me yearn for the days of the old Big East football/basketball mishmash. 

• Like 1

Whether you agree that the season should be cancelled or not, the reactionary wishywashiness of the B1G is truly a sight to behold.  They were the first to break ranks with the rest of the P5 and announce a schedule, and now they’re the first to want to cancel.  And they’re doing it because they want to be perceived as “leaders” lol.