DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Sidebar: There was an episode of Memphis wrestling I watched when Savage was in, and he had a match with Dutch at the Mid-South Coliseum. The shit they were doing wouldn't out of place if it happened today. The only thing being is EVERYTHING was executed perfectly as far as the highspots went. Nothing looked see through. I saw that Dutch has had some criticism of at least AEW's product. However, I wonder if Dutch has ever been approached or was ever interested in being a trainer/agent instead of in creative or talent like he usually has been. If his complaint is people botching things, why not lend a hand in assisting them not to do that?

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/DirtyDMantell/status/1583300046941847552?t=5WrGoziWw6ng4NwAyIjeGA&s=19

Guys I am not picking on @AEW. Believe me I want them to be the best they can be. What I can’t believe is @tonykhan apparently not utilizing some of the greatest “coaches” in the business. @RealBillyGunn @itsjerrylynn @TheArnShow @sonjaydutterson That’s an ALL STAR team.

• Like 2

Just now, odessasteps said:

I dunno about the other guys, but I believe Arn would like to stay as talent. After his WWE experience and sort of getting the short end of the stick a lot of times, I think his days as an agent are over. 

That was absolutely tremendous. I missed the first 5-10 minutes or so but everything else was the best thing Vice has done with wrestling. That could be for me because I don't think I've heard the Bob Roop/Steve Keirn story but hey. I could watch about ten hours of Kevin Sullivan. 

EDIT: I also have to admit that the story of Eddie Graham... hurts. Bad. And I'll leave it at that. 

EDIT II: And Steve Keirn's dad! What the fuck! That could have been my granddad, who was in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

This series is repeatedly validating Jim Cornette's phobia about flights (although Cornette's problem was more about not being able to see the cockpit on the larger flights, so he was able to cope on the Crockett flights)

Thin Abdullah looks like Ernest the Cat Miller playing Randy the Ram's retired archnemesis.

Bret Hart being the youngest wrestler on the Stampede panel probably doesn't surprise you, but I just found that Bret Hart is just 2 years younger than David Schultz. Schultz torched his career in the WWF before he turned 30. He wasn't even 30 when all that stuff was filmed but he had Arn Andersonitis of looking much older than you'd think.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the unofficial theme of this show is "it's a surprise that wrestlers didn't crash planes more often"

You have to be fucked up as hell to fly one of those small ass planes RIGHT INTO a Disney Fireworks display and tell the son of a Vietnam POW that it is like a war flashback.   

As bat shit crazy the Kevin Sullivan darkness angle was, a little surprised the main thing they focus on was the "week long fight" that happened in 2 weeks at a house show against Mulligan.   Could probably do a full hour on that shit.  

If you are going to have Bob Roop for these shows, it would be really interesting if they mentioned the Plan B stuff on the series.    But hard to put that in one "group" 

Edited by hammerva

You couldn't pay me enough money to let prime Bob Roop stretch me. Fuck that shit. 

EDIT: Or honestly, old-ass Bob Roop right now. 

DOUBLE-EDIT: Brisco looks like the Midwestern hick Dollar Tree version of Bret Hart, tbh. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

On 10/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, odessasteps said:

Can anyone explain this to me? Is AEW not using those guys as coaches/producers?

Sounds like Dirty Ditch is making bad faith arguments as he often does.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Can anyone explain this to me? Is AEW not using those guys as coaches/producers?

Sounds like Dirty Ditch is making bad faith arguments as he often does.

I can't speak for Billy, Lynn or Arn but Dutt was specifically put in a creative coaching role recently. Same time they brought in Madison Rayne for the women.

20 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I can't speak for Billy, Lynn or Arn but Dutt was specifically put in a creative coaching role recently. Same time they brought in Madison Rayne for the women.

Lynn is apparently a producer and coach, and I recall Billy Gunn was specifically signed to AEW in that capacity, so whatever point Dirty Ditch was making is lost on me.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, porksweats said:

As I said above, Arn wants to be just a talent. I think just like JR though if someone wants some advice, he is willing to offer some. However, he isn't contracted to do that because he doesn't want to.

• Like 1