Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Recommended Posts

Finally have something to start this with

4 part series on Amazon Prime about Lorena Bobbit

Available Feb 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask Dr. Ruth

Will premiere at Sundance. No word when Hulu will start airing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the full trailer for the Fyre Festival documentary that was mentioned last month

Hits Netflix on Jan 18

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow I missed this back in '17 and just caught it. 

Not exactly recommended to watch at three in the morning because it will PISS. YOU. OFF. As it should. Just saw it snuck into the ad for the other Showtime docs (of which there are some other interesting ones coming up, though we probably don't need to hear any more about fucking Eric Clapton) so it's probably back in rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the Hulu version of the Fyre documentary is on the same level as the Netflix but holy shit this is something.  It just keeps getting worse and worse in the carny scam that this really was

There is part of me that wish every person who wants to start a wrestling promotion should watch this documentary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abducted in Plain Sight is a 2017 doc, but it's been newly released on Netflix. It's not a particularly well made film, but holy shit you'll be mouthing "what. the. fuck." as each detail unfolds. The subject matter is pretty grim but it's worth watching if you want to meet the most gullible parents in America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, hammerva said:

I don't know if the Hulu version of the Fyre documentary is on the same level as the Netflix but holy shit this is something.  It just keeps getting worse and worse in the carny scam that this really was

There is part of me that wish every person who wants to start a wrestling promotion should watch this documentary.  

So I just finished the Netflix documentary and started the Hulu one, which is apparently Billy's side of the story.  Oh man I'm so excited for this. 

edit: hahaha  ... 10 minutes in and this thing is 100% pure bullshit already.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, Swiftian said:

Abducted in Plain Sight is a 2017 doc, but it's been newly released on Netflix. It's not a particularly well made film, but holy shit you'll be mouthing "what. the. fuck." as each detail unfolds. The subject matter is pretty grim but it's worth watching if you want to meet the most gullible parents in America.

You are far more kind to the parents than I am. These people are so stupid and so self-involved, it's unfathomable. And the brother... Good Lord. All of these people need to burn in a fiery pit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished the Netflix Fyre documentary. Absolutely bonkers. Totally a must-watch. I do find myself wondering how Ja Rule skated on consequences. Dude is on tape admitting to fraud, excuse me "false advertising", and walks away scot-free. 

The good news is that the caterer featured has raised enough money via gofundme to cover her losses with more than $100k to spare. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Just finished the Netflix Fyre documentary. Absolutely bonkers. Totally a must-watch. I do find myself wondering how Ja Rule skated on consequences. Dude is on tape admitting to fraud, excuse me "false advertising", and walks away scot-free.

From the Hulu documentary, it very much seems like he paid off Billy to take all the blame - he goes out of his way to not implicate Ja in anything during that one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CSC said:

From the Hulu documentary, it very much seems like he paid off Billy to take all the blame - he goes out of his way to not implicate Ja in anything during that one. 

That would explain why Billy was living the high life while out on bail and supposedly broke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tabe said:

You are far more kind to the parents than I am. These people are so stupid and so self-involved, it's unfathomable. And the brother... Good Lord. All of these people need to burn in a fiery pit. 

To follow up on this, I've decided the parents aren't just naive and dumb, they're evil.

 

I mean, we're talking parents that:

- signed false affidavits that exonerated their daughter's kidnapper just because they were afraid of the father being outed as gay (or for having a "gay experience"

- they let the kidnapper back into their lives and home

- the mom HAD AN AFFAIR WITH THE GUY AFTER HE KIDNAPPED HER DAUGHTER, RAPED HER, AND TOOK HER TO MEXICO

Their behavior at every turn is just unconscionable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men

Oh @J.T.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Netflix Fyre doc and there was one under the radar part where all the festival goers are told they can go grab their tents (a free for all) and one guy seems really proud about him and his friends stealing shit out of the other tents and pissing on mattresses in other surrounding tents so they wouldn't have any people immediately around their tent.  It was as bad as anything the festival organizers did and this dude actually wanted to be in a documentary with that his only contribution.  The way people worship any type of fame or notoriety these days puzzles me greatly. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I watched the Netflix Fyre doc and there was one under the radar part where all the festival goers are told they can go grab their tents (a free for all) and one guy seems really proud about him and his friends stealing shit out of the other tents and pissing on mattresses in other surrounding tents so they wouldn't have any people immediately around their tent.  It was as bad as anything the festival organizers did and this dude actually wanted to be in a documentary with that his only contribution.  The way people worship any type of fame or notoriety these days puzzles me greatly. 

There was a part in the Hulu documentary with one of the female influencers who ended up actually having a villa and she was so fucking smug about the fact that she had this villa while everyone else had to run around like rats out there on the beach.  The fact that you BARELY feel bad for the people who got swindled by this tells you all you need to know about them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CSC said:

There was a part in the Hulu documentary with one of the female influencers who ended up actually having a villa and she was so fucking smug about the fact that she had this villa while everyone else had to run around like rats out there on the beach.  The fact that you BARELY feel bad for the people who got swindled by this tells you all you need to know about them.  

That's what makes this thing so fascinating - the perception is that 90% of the people who got swindled are...uh...what's the word I'm looking for here...uh...unsympathetic?  Yeah, let's go with that.  It's all vapid celebrities and vapid followers of vapid celebrities and vapid people who blog about vapid celebrities and their vapid followers.  I mean the whole thing can be summed up with "Kendall Jenner was paid $250,000 to post a single tweet" and it generated massive buzz among this subset of people and turned into a $40m cluster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:52 AM, Tabe said:

That's what makes this thing so fascinating - the perception is that 90% of the people who got swindled are...uh...what's the word I'm looking for here...uh...unsympathetic?  Yeah, let's go with that.  It's all vapid celebrities and vapid followers of vapid celebrities and vapid people who blog about vapid celebrities and their vapid followers.  I mean the whole thing can be summed up with "Kendall Jenner was paid $250,000 to post a single tweet" and it generated massive buzz among this subset of people and turned into a $40m cluster.

One of the actual solid lessons coming out of the movie, though, was the tendency of modern culture to disdain realism or mild pessimism in projects.  I have been on projects in my career where the train has left the station and if you actually do point out risks and pitfalls you aren't being "positive" and this is how these things can happen.  People don't want to speak up because you've dis-incentivized people having some situational awareness and doing their jobs properly in identifying risks before they bite you.  Leadership that is pie in the sky nonsense kills me.  We had this one leader at one of my companies that closed every big meeting with something like "Be open to a vision of which you cannot possibly achieve."  This actually translates into we know you don't have the investment, tools, budget, or the manpower but continue to run yourself into the ground for us.  The self-help industry is killing actual good leadership in business.  When I go into someone's office and they prominently display their books in there and it's all self-help / leadership stuff I question whether they know only platitudes or can use solid logic in their decisions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a guy on one series of The Apprentice (UK) who literally couldn't speak without using cliched jargon. It was psychologically impossible for him to use plain English ever. They challenged him to describe himself without using a cliche, and he said "I'm like Ronseal, I do exactly what it says on the tin".

And on the tin, it said "You're fired".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 5:23 AM, The Magnificent 7 said:

One of the actual solid lessons coming out of the movie, though, was the tendency of modern culture to disdain realism or mild pessimism in projects.  I have been on projects in my career where the train has left the station and if you actually do point out risks and pitfalls you aren't being "positive" and this is how these things can happen.  People don't want to speak up because you've dis-incentivized people having some situational awareness and doing their jobs properly in identifying risks before they bite you.  Leadership that is pie in the sky nonsense kills me.  We had this one leader at one of my companies that closed every big meeting with something like "Be open to a vision of which you cannot possibly achieve."  This actually translates into we know you don't have the investment, tools, budget, or the manpower but continue to run yourself into the ground for us.  The self-help industry is killing actual good leadership in business.  When I go into someone's office and they prominently display their books in there and it's all self-help / leadership stuff I question whether they know only platitudes or can use solid logic in their decisions.

I worked in a sales office some years back run by a Sales Director that worshipped the business guru industry. He would start every weekly sales meeting by making us watch 5-minute videos by his favorite guru.

One day the guru was going on about the importance of a welcoming voicemail greeting that isnt just a generic "leave a message". So after the video our sales director decided to call the guru's office on speakerphone to see if we can get to his own voicemail greeting.

The guru's secretary picked up. We asked if we can call back and the secretary can let the phone go to voicemail so we can hear the guru's greeting.

The secretary's reply: "Oh he doesn't have voicemail, I take his messages."

My skepticism of the business and motivational guru industry was never more beautifully validated than that moment. And we never had to watch the guru's videos again.

But the sad thing is, despite his methods being exposed, despite it being 100 percent clear that Billy is a fucking sociopath, you know damn we will be hearing about him pulling cons and stunts for the next 30 years and people will keep falling for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ReMastered: The Two Killings of Sam Cooke

It is a documentary series but I am not sure how many episodes it is going to be

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Keep forgetting this came in the mail the other day

That looks like it could be good. I recently watched the Death doc and it was missing alot. I did enjoy the interviews with Reinert, DiGiorgio, and Butler. I also started a doc on The Damned but haven’t finished it. Prime also has a black metal doc that is on my watch list. Let me know if this was good, please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked here and the upcoming thread and didn't see it yet. If I missed it, forgive me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, RIPPA said:

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men

Oh @J.T.

I finally saw trailers for this on Showtime Beyond and it has a tentative May 2019 debut date.

I CANNOT WAIT~!

My boo and I watched the Fyre Festival doc not too long ago and it was fascinating.

We are also hooked on the Friday night documentary series on 80's crimes that ABC's 20/20 news magazine is broadcasting.  The episode on the Bobbitt Trials was king sized!

During the documentary. I caught myself ogling the swimsuit photo of Lorena Bobbitt from that shoot she did for Vanity Fair. 

lorena-fiound-here.jpg

At first I was like, "Damn, she was kinda cute back in the day," and then I reminded myself what she suffered through and that she went batshit insane and cut a man's dick off.

Not that John Bobbitt didn't deserve exactly what he got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...