Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RIPPA

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Recommended Posts

Slave to the Grind was pretty good. The people that made it took a long time and got some thousand plus hours of footage so it almost feels like it could be a little longer, but what is there is great. My only real complaint is they give kinda short-shrift to Carcass, who only show up late in the documentary. One big surprise is the time they give to (of all bands) Anal Cunt. Tim Morse comes off very well which is a big surprise and there is a full analysis of the madness of Seth Putnam, including footage of the riot at the Dropdead gig. The only major talking head missing is Mick Harris from Napalm Death which is a sore loss. 

Is that black metal doc Until the Light Takes Us? It's on Shudder too, but the Rotten Tomatoes percentage doesn't move me to watch it.

EDIT: You know what? I HAVE seen Until the Light Takes Us. It's okay, at least for what Fenriz has to say. I'd rather watch that Damned doc though

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I decided to save Horror Noire for tonight or tomorrow I went ahead and watched King Cohen on Shudder. Talk about fun! Larry Cohen is a genius and this just underlines it with a big fat Sharpie. Probably the single funniest anecdote out of many is him sneaking Andy Kaufman into a NYC policeman's parade to march in uniform, then have him shoot somebody and get tackled by the cops surrounding... with no permit and no prior warning whatsoever, with the cops just playing along on the fly. You can see this at the beginning of God Told Me To. I have absolutely no idea how they all got away with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Slave to the Grind was pretty good. The people that made it took a long time and got some thousand plus hours of footage so it almost feels like it could be a little longer, but what is there is great. My only real complaint is they give kinda short-shrift to Carcass, who only show up late in the documentary. One big surprise is the time they give to (of all bands) Anal Cunt. Tim Morse comes off very well which is a big surprise and there is a full analysis of the madness of Seth Putnam, including footage of the riot at the Dropdead gig. The only major talking head missing is Mick Harris from Napalm Death which is a sore loss. 

Is that black metal doc Until the Light Takes Us? It's on Shudder too, but the Rotten Tomatoes percentage doesn't move me to watch it.

EDIT: You know what? I HAVE seen Until the Light Takes Us. It's okay, at least for what Fenriz has to say. I'd rather watch that Damned doc though

 

Yeah it’s that one. I will rry and catch the grind one at some point.

Hey, not a doc, but have you seen Bomb City?  I really liked it and you probably would. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Abducted In Plain Sight last night. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the Bomb City trailer, and yeah I need to see that ASAP. Good lookin out!

Some of the funnier things in the grind doc:

Spoiler

- Agathocles saying in the bonus features that they took broken cymbals and strings from music store dumpsters and even used bike cables for strings when they started

- Also in bonus, Pete Sandoval thanking God for helping him along 

- Seth from AxCx's favorite band was the Village People, who he saw upwards of 40 times

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't You Be My Neighbor? was just on PBS. All the tears. All the tears. 

I also found out that Bomb City is based on the Brian Deneke murder from a couple years back last night and now I really have to watch it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Won't You Be My Neighbor? was just on PBS. All the tears. All the tears. 

 

I just watched it on HBO. All the tears. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horror Noire is fucking great!

I will see if I can sit through the Mr. Rogers joint tomorrow evening.  Odds are I won't make it past the first twenty minutes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Horror Noire is fucking great!

I will see if I can sit through the Mr. Rogers joint tomorrow evening.  Odds are I won't make it past the first twenty minutes.

I dont remember how far into the movie the kid in the wheel chair is but I doubt you make it that far before welling up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just watched it on HBO. All the tears. 

Yeah, I just DVR'd it off HBO (West) because I missed it in the theaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I dont remember how far into the movie the kid in the wheel chair is but I doubt you make it that far before welling up. 

He was near the end. It is somewhat comforting knowing I'm not the only one. More often than not I feel like I'm too sensitive for this world, but I suppose that's a discussion better suited to have with my therapist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I dont remember how far into the movie the kid in the wheel chair is but I doubt you make it that far before welling up. 

I was gone way before that when Daniel was singing about whether he wondered whether he was a mistake. I had to stop the DVR because just because I couldn't control myself.  I am almost glad that I didn't see this at the movies because I would need a good minute or two after the show just to let it out. 

Two main things I got from this:

1.  The big reason for creating and continuing the show was his belief that television was doing a horrible job with children.  In the beginning he thought TV was being wasted on slapstick goofiness so he created the show.   He came back to the show in the late 70's because he heard about kids pretending to be Superman and injuring themselves and thought television wasn't doing enough to teach kids about what superheroes really were.   

2.  I didn't really know that people actually blame Mr Rogers for today's generation.   You are telling people that they are special just the way you are and it feeds this entitlement and then resentment and hatred because it isn't reality.   Guarantee you these people never watch that show because that was definitely NOT what he was preaching.  The story about his funeral and seeing kids forced to join those groups of "GOD HATES FAGS" idiots and that person realizing there wasn't much he could do was heartbreaking as well

Everyone should watch it once.  And watch this not the one PBS did with Michael Keaton a few years ago.  It was good but was more about the show and less about the man himself

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came in halfway through and didn't last five minutes on the crying front. 

Horror Noire was, of course, really really good. The Candyman stuff was interesting; maybe it's me being a blinkered white guy but I didn't have any idea it was problematic to people. And I'll be fucked if I let the Ernie Ladd Memorial continue without somebody watching Tales from the Hood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to check out Horror Noire. 

I read about the Brian Deneke murder based on seeing Bomb City mentioned, just so fucked up. There was a similar case in England where two goths had their heads stomped in because of their appearance.

I tried the GG Allin doc, but I couldn't make it past Merle's shit art. Nothing grosses me out like another person's feces. In my field, nothing makes me gag more than having to remove a decedent's diaper or pants and they're filled with shit. Close behind is when full catheters and bags aren't removed by hospital and nursing home staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Won't You Be My Neighbor when I got off work on Sunday morning and pretty much cried myself to sleep.

What a great movie.  I hate you all for making me watch it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey now, you were warned! 

If you've already seen Hated you don't really need to see the new GG doc, the only real difference is the addition of his mom. One thing she does a good job of underlying is that, at least to her, there was a Kevin and a GG, as if he had a split personality. The comparison with Seth from AxCx in the grind doc is pretty clear, now that I think about it. Tim Morse talked about there being a Seth that would sit around, eat Chinese food with him and watch The Simpsons -- and then there was the other Seth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not discussing the Ted Bundy tapes in here?  I had no freaking clue how crazy all that shit was. I was trying to imagine how big of a deal this was as it was happening,  I think maybe because they didn't know all this shit was connected the stories were more localized?  Not sure, but I'm glad I watched it.. I can't believe how that played out and talk about a fucking psycho and narcissist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll have to check out Horror Noire. 

I read about the Brian Deneke murder based on seeing Bomb City mentioned, just so fucked up. There was a similar case in England where two goths had their heads stomped in because of their appearance.

I tried the GG Allin doc, but I couldn't make past Merle's shit art. Nothing grosses me out like another person's feces. In my field, nothing makes me gag more than having to remove a decedent's diaper or pants and they're filled with shit. Close behind is when full catheters and bags aren't removed by hospital and nursing home staff.

I think GG Allin is my line, period.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably should have watched the Fyre doc after "Won't You Be My Neighbor?". That would have cheered me up. Too many documentaries to watch and just not enough time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We're not discussing the Ted Bundy tapes in here?  I had no freaking clue how crazy all that shit was. I was trying to imagine how big of a deal this was as it was happening,  I think maybe because they didn't know all this shit was connected the stories were more localized?  Not sure, but I'm glad I watched it.. I can't believe how that played out and talk about a fucking psycho and narcissist. 

I watched it last night. I asked my parents about it, but given that they were like, not even preteens yet, they don't have much to say about it beyond "back then you didn't hear about that kind of stuff as much as you do now". Which isn't very helpful when trying to put yourself in that time period and imagine what it was like. That's why I talked to my grandparents about stuff like that (mostly old political stuff that I have a deep interest in). I should ask them the next time I see them, if I remember.

What baffles me about the Ted Bundy stuff is the cult of personality around him, which seemed to be focused on his "good looks". Uhhhh, he's not that good looking to me. He looks like a normal dude, sure. But anyone on Twitter or wherever saying he's "hot" or whatever needs their head checked.

I was wondering where the Zac Efron movie got its title from, and the judge says it after Bundy got his first life sentence (right?). Unless I missed it, and I might have because I passed out a few times, they didn't touch on the fact that he beheaded some of his victims and kept their heads in his apartment. That seems like a big detail to gloss over, but I'm sure they mentioned it during one of the times I fell asleep.

One last thing - never heard of Bundy's political aspirations and various jobs within the (local to him) Republican Party until this documentary. That's... fuckin' nuts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE BIGGEST LITTLE FARM

Saw the preview for this playing this weekend at Alamo.  Looks cute, though I'm positive I could do roughly 1x10^6 snarky takes on this whole thing if I were a cynic. (If...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What channel was the Bundy tapes thing on? I recall seeing a preview for it but forgot all about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on Netflix.  It's decent.  Makes me wonder 1) if there's going to be a second season of Mindhunter and 2) if that would be part of the focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...