DVDVR Message Board

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

On 3/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, supremebve said:

I honestly don't understand what made people believe in this woman.  Everything about her seems fraudulent.  Everything from her voice, her affect, to the fact that she is a Steve Jobs cosplayer, nothing about her seems authentic in any way...She doesn't even comb her damn hair.  

Young blonde white woman reasons. If that creepy stare met my eyes I'd probably run, personally. 

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Young blonde white woman reasons. If that creepy stare met my eyes I'd probably run, personally. 

I kind of understand why people gave money to the Fyre Fest guy, he was at least selling something possible.  She was selling something that didn't exist, is most likely will never exist, and did it with an obviously put on voice, a closet full of the same exact outfit, and a blank look on her face...and people gave her over $400,000,000.00.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I kind of understand why people gave money to the Fyre Fest guy, he was at least selling something possible.  She was selling something that didn't exist, is most likely will never exist, and did it with an obviously put on voice, a closet full of the same exact outfit, and a blank look on her face...and people gave her over $400,000,000.00.

Yeah, scientifically, it's both real and not real.  I mean, obviously, machines like this already exist and are all over the world: they're called 'cells'. 

But anyone who got duped by the notion of technological feasibility was going to get duped by something.  I didn't even know what her deal even was, or what her BS company tried to do, until I watched that trailer, but given the snake oil she was peddling, whoever lost money deserved to lose it, as far as I'm concerned.  Ask literally even one scientist and they'd say, "This isn't fucking Star Trek" or, "Pull your head out of your ass and tell her to do the same."

37 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Yeah, scientifically, it's both real and not real.  I mean, obviously, machines like this already exist and are all over the world: they're called 'cells'. 

But anyone who got duped by the notion of technological feasibility was going to get duped by something.  I didn't even know what her deal even was, or what her BS company tried to do, until I watched that trailer, but given the snake oil she was peddling, whoever lost money deserved to lose it, as far as I'm concerned.  Ask literally even one scientist and they'd say, "This isn't fucking Star Trek" or, "Pull your head out of your ass and tell her to do the same."

Machines like this exist, but that specific machine did not, does not, and probably never will.  She sold a technology that isn't possible as she described it.  Her entire premise was that she could do full batteries of blood tests with one drop of blood and for a fraction of the price of that kind of diagnostic blood work.  The thing that kills me is the fact that no one realized that the price of these tests wouldn't cover the price of the research and discovery it would take to create a piece of technology.  If that technology existed, which people had to realize that it didn't, I can see it being cheaper than current tests...but they had to create it out of nothing.  If it was that easy and or cheap to create a life-changing medical technology, someone would have done it already.  She had no medical background, no business background, she just had a black turtleneck and a fucked up hairdo, and people trusted her to invent a medical technology that could diagnose every disease known to mankind with a single drop of blood.  I don't get it, she wouldn't have gotten a dime from me.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, supremebve said:

Machines like this exist, but that specific machine did not, does not, and probably never will.  She sold a technology that isn't possible as she described it.  Her entire premise was that she could do full batteries of blood tests with one drop of blood and for a fraction of the price of that kind of diagnostic blood work.  The thing that kills me is the fact that no one realized that the price of these tests wouldn't cover the price of the research and discovery it would take to create a piece of technology.  If that technology existed, which people had to realize that it didn't, I can see it being cheaper than current tests...but they had to create it out of nothing.  If it was that easy and or cheap to create a life-changing medical technology, someone would have done it already.  She had no medical background, no business background, she just had a black turtleneck and a fucked up hairdo, and people trusted her to invent a medical technology that could diagnose every disease known to mankind with a single drop of blood.  I don't get it, she wouldn't have gotten a dime from me.

I loved the one engineer who was like, "I had to point out that what she wanted in something so small wasn't possible because...it violates the law of thermodynamics." I laughed my ass off for that until he said that she then told him that Theranos wasn't the place for him.

I mean, when you have an engineer that has to explain something like the law of thermodynamics to you, you might want to listen.

I'll just say this - She was very ambitious and had an incredible idea and was able to sell people on that idea. It makes me think about all of the wacky ideas I've had and if I could have raised as much money for them had I been that ambitious.

And her hair may have bugged me more than her voice. It's at least a tie.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I loved the one engineer who was like, "I had to point out that what she wanted in something so small wasn't possible because...it violates the law of thermodynamics." I laughed my ass off for that until he said that she then told him that Theranos wasn't the place for him.

I mean, when you have an engineer that has to explain something like the law of thermodynamics to you, you might want to listen.

I'll just say this - She was very ambitious and had an incredible idea and was able to sell people on that idea. It makes me think about all of the wacky ideas I've had and if I could have raised as much money for them had I been that ambitious.

There's a podcast put together by ABC News called "The Drop Out" about her that goes into far more detail, and she's clearly a sociopath.  The way she treated her employees was draconian at best, evil at worst.  She hired a bunch of scientists, and instead of listening to them when they told her something didn't work, she'd demote them to janitor or building services to humiliate them.  So the people who could have possibly made this invention work were sweeping floors instead of working on science.  

Another thing that struck me as incredible about this story is how many people who believed her lies more than their own family members.  There was a guy who worked for Walgreens who asked, "Can we take a test on your machine and then compare it to a test we do in the Stanford labs?"  She said no, Walgreens still bought in on her scam.  He quit because he didn't want to go down with the bullshit.  She ended up on the cover of Time magazine, and his wife looked him dead in the face and said, "Don't you think it's about time you admitted you were wrong about her?"  I would have divorced her on the spot.

I could have sworn this was posted already but I don't see it in looking back in the thread

Hail Satan?

Focused on Satanism (well the Temple of Satan) and more specifically the activist nature of modern Satanists

Is supposedly getting a theatrical release April 19

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I had been avoiding this for how angry it is going to make me

The Brink

It comes out tomorrow

You know that part near the end of the Sum of All Fears where Liev Schreiber goes on a murderous rampage to get revenge against the neo Nazis? That really awesome scene where Liev looks super badass?

Yeah, I could use that right about now, starting with Bannon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Everything about Elizabeth Holmes bugged me. She was like a cult leader. It's amazing to me how people like her are able to suck people into what they're pushing.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I could have sworn this was posted already but I don't see it in looking back in the thread

Hail Satan?

Focused on Satanism (well the Temple of Satan) and more specifically the activist nature of modern Satanists

Is supposedly getting a theatrical release April 19

I'll go see this if it gets a theatrical release. Even if it doesn't, I'm going to seek it out.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Everything about Elizabeth Holmes bugged me. She was like a cult leader. It's amazing to me how people like her are able to suck people into what they're pushing.

Listening to this podcast, I'm getting the impression that people think that she convinced some of these people based on her looks. . . what?!?!?!  She looks like the drawing of an attractive woman that was drawn by a kid who can't draw. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Listening to this podcast, I'm getting the impression that people think that she convinced some of these people based on her looks. . . what?!?!?!  She looks like the drawing of an attractive woman that was drawn by a kid who can't draw. 

She was incredibly smart targeting investors that didn't have science backgrounds. I still can't decide if I believe she got into with the best intentions and hoped everything would get figured out along the way or if her plan was to steal as much money as she could and live the high life for as long as she could.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

She was incredibly smart targeting investors that didn't have science backgrounds. I still can't decide if I believe she got into with the best intentions and hoped everything would get figured out along the way or if her plan was to steal as much money as she could and live the high life for as long as she could.

You need to listen to the podcast, it's six-parts and much more thorough than the documentary.  The documentary didn't make it clear that everyone with any scientific background immediately saw through her bullshit.  One of the investors legitimately said, "Her great-grandfather was an entrepreneur and her great uncle has a hospital named after him, she has both."  I heard that and thought, "My great grandfather was blind, but somehow I'm able to see.  What the fuck does any of that have to do with her?"  The people who gave her money didn't ask a single question about how any of her bullshit was supposed to work.  Everyone who asked questions, was either fired, demoted, or ignored. 

It would be one thing if this was just a fraud where she became a billionaire because of this nonsense, but it was much more serious than that.  There is a breast cancer survivor who took a Theranos test, and the results came back that she had crazy levels of estrogen (300 something or others), which would only exist if she had another tumor.  It turned out once her blood was tested on a regular old test, her estrogen levels were zero...like none at all.  Those tests could have literally killed someone.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

My goodness.

I want to put a bullet between the eyes of anybody that dyes their pet's fur. Some dyes are toxic for animals, plus the stress and anxiety it causes them. There's so much more I want to say, but I can't articulate my thoughts well enough. It makes me that angry. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Thought it would lighten the mood a little, but I guess not!

Sorry, it's just me being an insane animal lover. To quote George Costanza, "It's not you, it's me.".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Contentious C said:

The other big takeaway from this film is due to Leonardo DiCaprio's involvement/financing of it: I had no idea his father was a comic book artist in that scene, but HOLY SHIT is George DiCaprio a seriously unattractive man (or had quite possibly the worst aging process in the Western world...or tried his hand at being a homeless person in Baltimore for a year for the experience).  Leo got *each and every single one* of his momma's genes except for that Y chromosome.  Holy shit snacks.

Actually, it's kinda unusual to see a kid who looks like both of their parents:

444ee605689e8aaa980ebf41bee16381.jpg