DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

There is already talk of a short list.

1. Ben Whishaw
  2. Richard Ayoade
  3. Rory Kinnear

Same names you saw before Capaldi took over.

So, was the Doctor Donna from Journey's End a litmus test to see if fans would latch onto a female Doctor, or was that just more Moffat silliness for an episode where your brain was saying "This is pure garbage...." but your heart was saying 'GREATEST EPISODE OF ALL TIMES"?

I see no reason why Moffat couldn't line up a new show gig after he wraps up Doctor Who.

Also J.T., I know Moffat was already a writer at that point, but Journey's End was written by Russell T. Davies, and that was when he was still in charge of Doctor WHo.

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Also J.T., I know Moffat was already a writer at that point, but Journey's End was written by Russell T. Davies, and that was when he was still in charge of Doctor WHo.

I suppose my point was there have always been not so subtle nudges like the Doctor Donna or the General's regeneration or characters like River Song to gently massage in the idea that maybe it is time that a female was cast as The Doctor, or at least that is the way some people interpret it.

I'm good with the Doctor remaining an Anglo male since the character is an alien and the idea of Gallifreyan regeneration is already established, but the idea of a woman playing The Doctor is still a popular idea.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I suppose my point was there have always been not so subtle nudges like the Doctor Donna and characters like River Song to gently massage in the idea that maybe it is time that a female was cast as The Doctor.

I'm good with the Doctor remaining an Anglo male since the character is an alien and the idea of Gallifreyan regeneration is already established, but the idea of a woman playing The Doctor is still a popular idea.

It never really clicked in my head that Donna and River Song were maybe beta tests for female Doctor, but that's an interesting point.  They've established that Gallifreyans can regenerate into females.   Like they've made a specific point of this two separate times under Moffat's tenure.  So why constantly establish and hint at that unless it will happen at some point down the line to the Doctor.

Honestly, I'm staying away from the whole who they should cast thing.  I'll let the bloggers, Tumblr and social media addicts hash that out. 

Yeah, I totally brain farted on The General's regeneration where he switched gender.

More cobblestones on the road to a female Doctor.

I suppose I am somewhat resistant to the idea since I've been watching the series off and on since the late 70's and am just another snooty traditionalist..

Mark and I are very very old.... and stubborn..

It was rough dealing with a younger incarnation of the Doctor (it just seemed faddish). My brain is ready for a woman to assume the role, but I am not sure that my heart is.

• Like 1

I can't hate on Capaldi's run too much.  Season 9 brought back the Zygons of all enemies. 

I always felt that the Fourth Doctor episode Terror Of The Zygons (1975??) was an underappreciated episode even with the questionable looking Loch Ness Monster alien thingie. 

It was good to see the Zygon menace alive and well in the present day. 

If Chris really wants to make me happy, he'll bring back Sutekh, even though Matt Jones kinda sorta brought Sutekh back in the form of The Beast (The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit) during the Tenth Doctor run.

Given that a) Eddie Redmayne recently won an Oscar, and b) actors pretty much have to put their lives on hold to play the lead in Doctor Who, I think we all need to put Eddie Redmayne out of our thoughts. Given that I am sure the BBC will apply pressure to boost ratings, I am thinking conservative choice : youngish, unconventionally good-looking, white male Doctor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rainmakerrtv said:

Given that a) Eddie Redmayne recently won an Oscar, and b) actors pretty much have to put their lives on hold to play the lead in Doctor Who, I think we all need to put Eddie Redmayne out of our thoughts. Given that I am sure the BBC will apply pressure to boost ratings, I am thinking conservative choice : youngish, unconventionally good-looking, white male Doctor.

Carey Mulligan's recent miracle motion picture run has guaranteed that she'll never reprise her role as Sally Sparrow.

I think we all realize that Eddie taking the role of the Doctor is a pipe dream. :)

I was close to being right when i said the new companion would be young British POC. I just thought she would be East Asian, not black. (Not sure we officially know her diegetic ethnicity yet.)

If she stays as a bridge companion, i doubt they would have both main characters be minorities.  I would prob bet unknown instead of well known.

• Like 2

I forgot how glorious that Comic Relief bit was.  The look of disappointment on the Companion's face is priceless when The Doctor regenerates into less than attractive incarnations and her heart sinks when he changes gender. :)

Holy SHIT this is the craziest thing you'll read today.  From the Curse of Fatal Death page on Wikipedia:

A week after the special aired, Doctor Who writer Lawrence Miles contacted BBC Books editor Stephen Cole with an idea for a novel sequel focusing on Joanna Lumley's Thirteenth Doctor; Cole had already received a different Thirteenth Doctor pitch from David A. McIntee that weekend. Titled The War, Miles's novel would have taken place during the time war alluded to in Miles's Eighth Doctor Adventures novels. Miles planned to take advantage of the BBC's catalogue of characters, mostly those from 1970s and 1980s sitcoms: with the war causing alternative timelines to overlap, the Doctor would have found herself in a concentration camp on Earth along with strays from other realities, such as Norman Stanley Fletcher from Porridge. In a pastiche of war story clichés, the heroes would have been betrayed by "Mrs. Slocombe's pussy", a running joke in Are You Being Served? which would have been revealed as a conceptual entity working for the Enemy, the Time Lords' unseen opponents. At the story's climax, the Doctor and Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army would have led a suicidal "Light Brigade"-style assault on the Enemy's base. Cole never replied, which Miles has attributed to Cole mistaking the submission for a joke.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was hoping Capaldi would last at least one more season after Moffat was gone so I'm a bit disappointed.

Same.

I'm game for a female Doctor or black Doctor. I hope the best person gets it for their talent than ticky boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit came on back to back this past Friday on BBC America.  Still as awesome and frightening as I remember them.

Funny how the BBC America reruns of Doctor Who recently are either classic Doctors or Smith / Tennant episodes. 

Poor poor Christopher Eccelston.

A Whovian hear where I work seems to believe that Jonny Lee Miller might make for a decent post Capaldi Doctor Who especially since Elementary seems to be on wobbly legs.