DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else get the cartoonized "Power of the Daleks" recorded Sunday or watch it?  I had completely forgotten I'd set the DVR til I was getting ready to watch the Christmas special; now I'm really excited to have several hours of new-to-my-generation Troughton to enjoy.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Did anyone else get the cartoonized "Power of the Daleks" recorded Sunday or watch it?  I had completely forgotten I'd set the DVR til I was getting ready to watch the Christmas special; now I'm really excited to have several hours of new-to-my-generation Troughton to enjoy.

It is the best thing ever.  Also totally available in your On Demand queue for BBC America.

The smart bastards at Verizon FiOS allow you to skip ahead and watch unaired episodes for a modest fee.

Totally enjoyed the Power of the Daleks. They managed to do some really expressive stuff using that flash animation.

And after the X-mas special, I want to see Moffat do a full on superhero deconstruction (Cabin in the Woods style). There was a lil bit of Irredeemable in the story.

I liked the Christmas special whenever Matt Lucas was onscreen.  Whenever it switched back to the generic alien plot, the show dragggeeeddddd for me.  Honestly, the plot was paper thin, so I'm not sure why they bothered having aliens other than it's not a Doctor Who Christmas special without aliens.

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend, Big Finish put the season of 4th Doctor with Baker and Mary Tamm as Romana on sale. The season premiere, "Auntie Matters" is best described as "What if 4 and Romana wandered into a Wodehouse story, only Bertie's aunt was an alien body snatcher?" It is every bit as amazing as that sounds.

I'm tired of the Doctor running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Let him sit and watch his plans unfold again. I say this because I want Brian Blessed to be the Doctor and don't want him to have a heart attack

James

Generally, I feel like 3 seasons is the perfect length for a Doctor's tenure, but Capaldi's first season was so ramshackle and the year hiatus was so momentum-killing that I really wanted him to stick around so we could potentially get two good seasons in two years.  Oh well, hopefully he'll have time for a Big Finish boxset every year.

Speaking of, it's a bit early yet but I'm curious to see what their plans for 8 are after the Time War set this fall.  Doom Coalition has turned out to be an entirely different animal than the hype cycle and V1 made it seem to be, and honestly if we're going to get 8 eps a year I'd just as soon not see 16-episode arcs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Not surprisingly, this will be Capaldi's last season (which starts April 15). 

My best friend texted me last night to let me know. Only properly watched Doctor Who since Davud Tennant's Doctor. Fun speculating on the new Doctor. Will we get a black Doctor? Will we get a female Doctor?

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Generally, I feel like 3 seasons is the perfect length for a Doctor's tenure, but Capaldi's first season was so ramshackle and the year hiatus was so momentum-killing that I really wanted him to stick around so we could potentially get two good seasons in two years.  Oh well, hopefully he'll have time for a Big Finish boxset every year.

Speaking of, it's a bit early yet but I'm curious to see what their plans for 8 are after the Time War set this fall.  Doom Coalition has turned out to be an entirely different animal than the hype cycle and V1 made it seem to be, and honestly if we're going to get 8 eps a year I'd just as soon not see 16-episode arcs.

Good post. I was very happy with Peter Capaldi's casting. Peter's first season sucked. Heaven Sent was the definitive episode of his run and one of the best ever episodes. Legitimacy got chills down me thinking back to it. Also liked the second part, Hell Bent.

Capaldi's departure works out well for Chris Chibnall. 

Moffat is also leaving the show, so that gives Chris a clean slate and a chance to set a new course with a new Doctor.

Moffat has always said that he thinks there should be a female doctor or an ethnic doctor but I dunno how I feel about Gallifreyans changing gender or "race" when they regenerate.. 

I know Haley Atwell has been chomping at the bit to be the first female Doctor and the We Want Lennie James movement is gaining steam, but I am good with the Doctor remaining a white guy as aliens don't necessarily have to follow earthy gender or race roles.

Since Peter Capaldi's first season was so problematic, I think Chris needs to abandon the relatively unknown actor formula and pick a fairly well known actor to be the next Doctor, especially one that has a solid fan base that can get people excited about the show again.  I have no idea who that should be.

The John Hurt (RIP) War Doctor went over huge, so maybe you go with a Rupert Grint or a Michael Sheen or that dude who was Mordred in BBC's Merlin?

Like JH said, I've seen talk on a lot of Whovian boards that most fans want to see a more cerebral Doctor as opposed to the borderline action heroes of late, so I assume that it will be a while before Gallifrey's last son regenerates into a younger form and Chris may go with another elder statesman Doctor.

If that is the case then yea, Brian mother fucking Blessed is the right answer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zev said:

I know Eddie Redmayne's been mentioned as replacement, but is Eddie Izzard available?

Depends on how British election cycles are, I guess. Last I heard, Eddie was going to run for office in 2020.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zev said:

I know Eddie Redmayne's been mentioned as replacement, but is Eddie Izzard available?

The hero / villain chemistry in Fantastic Beasts was pretty awesome, so I think I can only accept an Eddie Redmayne run as The Doctor if it is accompanied by a Colin Farrell run as The Master.

• Like 1