DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Well you know she had to be a villain.  All that foreshadowing for her to be an ally from the Doctor's past wouldn't have worked.

Oh, you're right.  Allies have never turned to villainy before...

Spoilered for speculation?

Rusty the Dalek to the rescue next week?

Great episode although I didn't really like the big reveal at the end.

I really wanted Missy to be the Gallifreyian form of Clara that lived on as a Time Lady and obviously went nuts. Instead, she's the Master. Ugh.

That would have been terrible. This whole season did a lot of work to transform Clara from a Manic Pixie Dream Girl into an actual character. Turning her into an even more sexist stereotype--the hysterical, evil jilted lover--would have been a massive step in the wrong direction.

Honestly, if they were really set on making the Master female, I would have been much happier if they went far, far away from Simm and leaned back towards a more classic master. Something more operatic and hammer horror. I think a female along those lines would have matched 12 better, actually.

I like Simm, i like the Master. But i didn't really take to Simm as the Master, especially the second version with superpowers.

Also, to go back to the ratings talk from a few days ago...

@DWMtweets: The final BARB rating for In the Forest of the Night was 6.92m, which includes all UK viewers who watched within one week of broadcast.

Honestly, if they were really set on making the Master female, I would have been much happier if they went far, far away from Simm and leaned back towards a more classic master. Something more operatic and hammer horror. I think a female along those lines would have matched 12 better, actually.

Maybe that's what Moffat wanted but Michelle didn't want to wear a goatee.

I really want to know what the Master's personal timeline is. We all tend to assume that Doctor/Master encounters take place in roughly chronological order for both of them, but why does it have to be that way? Unless there were whole lives between Delgado and Rotting Master, he's somehow managed to get back to being biologically a Time Lord after stealing a non-regenerating human body more than once. (If we count audio, there's also the huge wrench thrown into the works by Alex McQueen). Did the snot-snake Master survive dying as Bruce and possess a Time Lord the way he did first the Keeper and then Bruce? Or is his true and final "death" in San Francisco and the McQueen (if he counts)/Simm/Gomez versions are younger than Delgado/Husk/Ainley/Roberts? This is all ultimately irrelevant to the quality of the show, of course, but I always wonder why we as fans tend to assume that two characters in a time travel narrative are running parallel to one another unless (like River Song or the Great Intelligence) we're told specifically otherwise.

• Like 1

From IMBD trivia:

"Clara's Birthday is given as November 23rd. The Shows anniversary."

This supports my theory that Clara is meant to be a stand-in for (NuWho)fans. First falls in love with boyish Doctor, eventually checks him out at every point in his life (and perhaps adds continuity that wasn't really there), becomes skeptical about his morals on further investigation, etcetera

Edit: not claiming that this theory is particularly original or well thought out.

Well you know she had to be a villain.  All that foreshadowing for her to be an ally from the Doctor's past wouldn't have worked.

Spoilered for speculation?

Rusty the Dalek to the rescue next week?

In the leaked version, Rusty committed suicide which destroyed the Dalek ship. They may have taken it out because they plan on bringing him back, unless it was just too dark or something.

Shit, didn't Romana already have a heel run in the novels (which I have never read)?

Shit, didn't Romana already have a heel run in the novels (which I have never read)?

Yeah, in some of the 8th Doctor novels.  Romana II (the Lalla Ward version) regenerated and the new personality was closer to how the Time Lords are currently portrayed.  Romana III was pretty unsympathetic and fell out with the Doctor over a plan to use one of the Doctor's companions as a template/sperm donor/surrogate mother for sentient TARDISes

Also, lots of theories about what the doctor did or did not see in Space.

I don't know why there would be theories, it seemed pretty clear that:

The Master lied to The Doctor about knowing, and The Doctor was lying to Clara about seeing Gallifrey just as she was lying to him about Danny still being alive.

• Like 1

Pretty ambivalent about this finale. Liked the character beats for the Doctor, but there was a lot of overwrought human drama and a needlessly convoluted storyline. However, Michle Gomez and Peter Capaldi could make even the worst episode worth watching.