DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

Phoenix wants to do a sequel as well, was asking about possible ideas before this opened.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Weren't those successful? 

Commercially, part II was. III saw a massive drop off iirc.

Critically, they were both savaged

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Joker (2019) with an R-rating, a origin about the greatest villain in comic book history, a small budget and without China is going to make a billion at the box office. Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT.Holy shit!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Joker (2019) with an R-rating, a origin about the greatest villain in comic book history, a small budget and without China is going to make a billion at the box office. Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT.Holy shit!

EH45dQaXUAIpUDH?format=jpg&name=900x900

Just think, Joker might make even more with a re-release as part of a for your consideration campaign in awards season.

Edited by The Natural

Here's something else I found interesting.  @The Natural    The other day Deadline ran a rough estimate (this was before this weekend's numbers) and they believe Joker will end up being as profitable as Avengers Infinity War and more profitable than nearly every comic book movie ever.  Think about that... insane. 

Link to article: https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-profit-global-box-office-avengers-1202767490/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Here's something else I found interesting.  @The Natural    The other day Deadline ran a rough estimate (this was before this weekend's numbers) and they believe Joker will end up being as profitable as Avengers Infinity War and more profitable than nearly every comic book movie ever.  Think about that... insane. 

Link to article: https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-profit-global-box-office-avengers-1202767490/

I think it will benefit from the Titanic Effect meaning that it will run in theaters for much longer than Infinity War did and steadily make good money the entire time.

See also:  Black Panther.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I mean, it helps that WB didn't spend $200M making Mark Ruffalo look green and sad for 3 hours.  

And while I agree with Vile that a sequel should probably fill you with trepidation...  a movie they made for (what in modern days passes for) a shoestring budget is about to make a fucking billion dollars... You simply do not let that opportunity pass.   

That's just the modern studio system, for better or worse. 

Depending on what happens in The Batman, I could easily see this Joker becoming part of the DC film universe. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Depending on what happens in The Batman, I could easily see this Joker becoming part of the DC film universe. 

With other Batman villains being re-relaunched in this proposed sequel, the retcon / merging is already in.

I imagine Jared Leto's agent was smart enough to have included a good severance clause in his contract.

The question is do you want an actor with as questionable of a work history as Joaquin Phoenix to be the cornerstone of your new franchise?  He turns in magnificent performances, but he really does live the life of the tortured artist. 

I love the fact that money does not really appear to motivate him, but that can problematic for something like this.

What happens when Joaquin is no longer feeling the role?

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ugh.  Adding more villains to the Joker sequel basically means they’d be making an R-rated GOTHAM film series.  No thanks.

Damn you, EVA.  I was about to make that point although it looks like it will be the mission of the Joker sequel to invalidate / retcon both Gotham and Suicide Squad Joker.

Edited by J.T.

Late to the party on Joker, finally saw it last night. My three sentence review -Phoenix is great in the role, I liked the film, I LOVED the last 30-40 minutes. 

I honestly think that everything from the fridge scene onwards is some of the best scenes I’ve seen in cinema in a long long time. The uneasiness, the edge you feel watching Arthur delve more into the madness just grips you and when he has that dance on the cop car you can’t help but smile. 

• Like 2

I was watching the new season of Bojack Horseman this weekend (great stuff!) and there was this quote from Todd: “Assistants are like Deadpool movies! I couldn’t just stop at one, even though I probably should have."  Replace Deadpool with Joker, and that's how I feel.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Log said:

I was watching the new season of Bojack Horseman this weekend (great stuff!) and there was this quote from Todd: “Assistants are like Deadpool movies! I couldn’t just stop at one, even though I probably should have."  Replace Deadpool with Joker, and that's how I feel.

My thoughts now are that I'd be good with just the one Joker movie and Joaquim Phoenix Joker should remain in a vacuum. 

Then again, I hate the Jared Leto DCEU Joker and hope that Phoenix's Joker will be the standard going forward so why not use a sequel to set the groundwork for the Pattenson Batman joints?  Let all DCEU Batman content ride Joker's coat tails to awesomeness.

Learn from the success of the MCU.  Once you've got something good going, keep doing it and find smart ways to keep from doing it to death.

The OST of Deadpool 2 alone justifies its existence.  I think I enjoyed it more than the first.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My thoughts now are that I'd be good with just the one Joker movie.

The OST of Deadpool 2 alone justifies its existence.  I think I enjoyed it more than the first.

Yeah, I like DP2 a lot, too.  I just thought the quote fit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Yeah, I like DP2 a lot, too.  I just thought the quote fit.

It absolutely does.

I was skeptical about a second Deadpool movie until the day it came out in theaters, especially when Disney got the IP back.

They managed not to ruin it in spite of themselves.

Edited by J.T.

Deadpool 2 disappointed me. I enjoyed Deadpool a lot more, felt it was leaner and funnier. Deadpool made my top 20 comic book movies released in cinemas. I'm not sure if Deadpool 2 would place in a top 40 iteration.

Edited by The Natural

Joker's Academy Award campaign has just begun by Warner Bros:

EIFp7I3UUAEvDKE.jpg

EIGBmzBXkAEXWi0.jpg

I think Joaquin Phoenix is a lock for a Best Actor nomination. Like to think Joker has a shout for Best Cinematography, Best Original Score and Best Picture nods. If I had to guess, I think it'll miss out on those.