DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Rock really isn't THAT familiar with Black Adam...

I'm going to go out on an even sturdier limb and say that the Rock is going to have a lot of input into anything doing with his image and at the very least already has knowledge of the outline of the story so he can put out that description with some confidence.    

8 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'm going to go out on an even sturdier limb and say that the Rock is going to have a lot of input into anything doing with his image and at the very least already has knowledge of the outline of the story so he can put out that description with some confidence.    

Oh, well that goes without saying.

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Black Adam was definitely an antihero for quite awhile in JSA.

It leads to 52, where he whiplashes from heelish to babyface to genocidal in one of the great stories of 21st century DC Comics.

Black Adam's character arc from JSA to 52 was fantastic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Just my opinion, but I find the idea for a solo Black Adam movie silly. He's not a character who justifies his own film.

I can't follow that at all, personally. He's one of the very few villains I think can carry a story. 

I mean, I highly doubt it ends up as successful of a movie, but there is a lot more story justification to a Black Adam movie than Venom or Joker. 

• Like 1

Guys, don’t look now, but I think THE SNYDER CUT is actually going to get released.

The JL cast has been using the hashtag campaign all day.  Reeks of a corporate viral marketing campaign to build to some kind of announcement.

45 minutes ago, EVA said:

Guys, don’t look now, but I think THE SNYDER CUT is actually going to get released.

The JL cast has been using the hashtag campaign all day.  Reeks of a corporate viral marketing campaign to build to some kind of announcement.

This remains the most insipid campaign in recent memory.

• Thanks 2

Well I can't see it being worse than the Justice League that was released but Snyder himself said that the real "Snyder Cut" was never filmed.  Yes, sure there are more scenes and things that were left out and replaced but what him and Terrio were setting up was going to span across two films. It was never filmed,  at best there is a beginning and a conclusion but it'll be like Game of Thrones season 8 where A travels to C and B is not fleshed out. 

Man of Steel is better than Whedon's entire existence.  Watchmen too. 

Edit:  and yes Buffy is awful television. I never understood why anyone would enjoy it but to each their own.  I understand I'm in the minority on this board, don't bother,  I've seen plenty of episodes,  it's not for me. 

Spare me on how it is supposedly a progressive show and themes and allegories that scholars say are present elevate it's standing. This is the same guy who felt the need to sexy up Wonder Woman in Justice League and put ass shots in there completely destroying everything that worked in Wonder Woman's own movie and if you don't believe me ask Patty Jenkins... she agrees. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Man of Steel is better than Whedon's entire existence. 

Better than Firefly / Serenity?  That's fucking crazy talk.

And yeah, despite his rep for having strong and complicated female characters, Whedon's real-life views on women are bordering on rutabaga.

I guess he only believes in equality for fictional women, maybe?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

? Never watched them but he wrote Toy Story,  there's some hyperbole in my post that is only there to match Fowler's disdain for all things Snyder.

Even the Dawn of the Dead reboot?  That shit was actually pretty good even if you fall on the "even if there were such things as zombies, there would be no such thing as a running zombie," side of the horror nerd debate.

My hatred of 300 has more to do with Frank Miller's glorification of the despotic Spartans rather than Snyder's work.

If Sucker Punch had only been made up of the dream sequences, it would've been the greatest thing ever filmed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I didn't like Sucker Punch too much,  300 was good for it's time..  it was a visual masterpiece but I have no desire to revisit.  I really like Dawn of the Dead and both Watchmen and Man of Steel are easily in my top 10-15 films based on comic book materials.   I don't know exactly where I'd place them but they are up there quite high. 

Sucker Punch was a good idea that never felt fully realized.   I admire him for wanting to make a Twain-eqsue satire where the misogyny is the joke, but satire of that nature fails when the targets of the joke (i.e. the male geek buffoons in the audience gawking over the female form) do not realize they're being made fun of.

300 was okay for what it was, but there is an inherent danger in revisionist history.  There is a reason why Spartan culture ultimately failed.

Watchmen was great.  I actually prefer Snyder's Dr. Manhattan swerve because I also believe that the alien squid plan from the CELEBRATED GRAPHIC NOVEL~! was really stupid.  Yes, I know that's blasphemy.

I do not blame Snyder for Man of Steel being shit.  WB execs were still enamored with the Nolan Batman template without realizing that Superman really doesn't work as a dark and brooding character.  Snyder and Cavill did the best they could with the mandate they were handed.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Watchmen was great.  I actually prefer Snyder's Dr. Manhattan swerve because I also believe that the alien squid plan from the CELEBRATED GRAPHIC NOVEL~! was really stupid.  Yes, I know that's blasphemy.

It was a dumb idea that I feel Lindelof has made 100% better with how he has presented in the television series and continues to present it....   but that's for the DC TV thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It was a dumb idea that I feel Lindelof has made 100% better with how he has presented in the television series and continues to present it....   but that's for the DC TV thread.

Yes, the phenomenal HBO show continues to make me revise my feelings about the graphic novel which is in no small way a credit to Lindelöf embracing the totality of Watchmen mythology and making it work.

• Like 1

If the Snyder cut removes all of creepy face Superman then I’d probably watch it. 

Otherwise having Batman’s suicidal intentions fleshed out and increasing the run time an extra hour by adding 50% more slow motion doesn’t interest me. 

3 hours ago, Zartan said:

Otherwise having Batman’s suicidal intentions fleshed out and increasing the run time an extra hour by adding 50% more slow motion doesn’t interest me. 

He hasn't done a lot of slow motion in years.  The action sequences in the DC movies and quite different than the action in 300 and Watchmen.

Thinking back to The Dark Knight Trilogy. Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008) are excellent. Batman Begins was the best ever comic book movie until The Dark Knight came along. Both still hold my top two spots years later and considering the amount of comic book films since then. I love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. It's unfortunate The Dark Knight Rises (2012) was a real drop off. It's hard to follow up two really great movies. The Dark Knight Rises would only place in my top fifteen, maybe lower.

Edited by The Natural