DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I don't think you guys realize how desperate the Mariners are. Attendance is plummeting year after year after year and this city is starting to care less and less. I honestly think if you surveyed people up here right now, over 70% would not give a shit if the franchise were to move. The soccer team up here is more popular than the Mariners are. 

Report is that Seattle was told by Cano's people that 9/225 would get it done, then when they sat down, Jay-Z insisted on 10/252 and Seattle's owner told him to fuck off. Jay-Z just fucked Cano out of $60 million.

Scott Boras is a smart fucking man - I've heard him do numerous non-scrum interviews, and the guy clearly knows what he's doing and has the ability to twist stats in his favor.

Boras is a shark in the best way; if he's on your side you love him, and you hate him if he's against you.

If Seattle is really done with dealing with Jay-Z, I don't see anyone else wanting to deal with him, and Cano's only other offer is the 7/175 that the Yankees still have on the table.  

It boggles my mind that Cano hasn't fired Jay-Z yet for costing him that much money.

I know it's my team and it's the only reason why I'm saying it, but I could see Theo and Jed stepping up to sign Cano, especially if this fiasco drives down Cano's price.

December, the hottest of hot stove months.

Just for context for folks - it ties Pujols' deal for 3rd largest in MLB history.

Yeah... and that is already working out well for the Angels

EDIT - Oh and

Cano's enormous sum is just $2MM more than the combined $238MM that the Yankees paid to sign Brian McCann (five years, $85MM) and Jacoby Ellsbury (seven years, $153MM).

I'm wondering how many shitty FA contracts teams are going to have to do before they realize that they're fucking themselves constantly?

Has there been a big money FA contract on these long term huge money deals that didn't hurt the team making them in the long run?