DVDVR Message Board

Raw Goes 2 Sleep - 12/18/2017

Dolfan in NYC

One thing that was really fucking stupid.  All the women are completely fed up with Absolution.  So they are all brawling and it's this blood feud and shit but then Steph's music hits and they all stop like the fucking high school principal just showed up and threatened suspension.  

Terrible. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Also, I'm very much enjoying Samoa Joe playing the role of final boss in a martial arts movie who's killed all of the heroes family and/or friends, so they all fight each other to get to him. 

Then he escapes in a puff of smoke.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm intrigued by it.  I wonder if it will be 30 women and same length as the men's match.  Also, will they go over the top rope?

They can easily do 30 if they have a few legends return and maybe an NXT call up or two.  

If they wanted to do 30, it'd have to be more than a "few" legends and one or two NXT call ups. Take out the two womens champions on either brand, maybe Carmella since she still has the MITB briefcase, Nikki is... injured? and Lana is a manager. That's 18 women on the main roster for this match, they could make it 20 if the last two I mentioned are in it (or replace one with Carmella).

To get to 30, they'd need 10 (or more depending on the above scenario) women to debut or make returns. That's... a lot.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

If they wanted to do 30, it'd have to be more than a "few" legends and one or two NXT call ups. Take out the two womens champions on either brand, maybe Carmella since she still has the MITB briefcase, Nikki is... injured? and Lana is a manager. That's 18 women on the main roster for this match, they could make it 20 if the last two I mentioned are in it (or replace one with Carmella).

To get to 30, they'd need 10 (or more depending on the above scenario) women to debut or make returns. That's... a lot.

If they really tried to do 30 women and then 30 men, the crowd is going to be DEAD halfway through the main event.  They'll never do it, but if they are doing two Rumbles, they just need to cut the dead weight filler and have 20 women in a match and 20 men in a match.  While I'm all for a women's Royal Rumble, two full hours of battle royal is going to be brutal to sit through.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

They are on good terms with quite a few women from the previous era like Eve Torres and Kelly Kelly.  Trish is probably most definitely going to make a return.  They can do a qualifier down in NXT and have someone like Peyton Royce be in it.  

Also,  I agree that two Royal Rumbles is a lot but this PPV is 4 hours long. They need to fill time somehow. 

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One thing that was really fucking stupid.  All the women are completely fed up with Absolution.  So they are all brawling and it's this blood feud and shit but then Steph's music hits and they all stop like the fucking high school principal just showed up and threatened suspension.  

Terrible. 

It wouldn't be a McMahon segment without that moment, would it?

It's not about the women in the match. It's about Stephanie McMahon, being the trailblazing woman in a man's world giving women beneath her an opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure how many of the women have taken a spill over the top rope,  I fear for a couple of the rookies but they deserve the chance to perform.   

Most of the battle royals in NXT have been over the top rope so there shouldn't be that big a problem.

• Like 1

Getting it up to 30 participants wouldn't be that tough between bringing in a few names from the past and a handful from NXT (perhaps with the caveat that they get an NXT title shot or maybe a shot at the main roster title of their choice?) but I agree with the sentiment that such a match would deflate the crowd.  Cap it at 20 and let it open the show.  If people aren't interested they can just take their time getting to the arena.

The Revival's return was my high point of the show.  Really looking forward to a match with The Bar.

Was this the first time Itami has been on the main roster save for his ATGBR appearance?  For a minute I was thinking they were going to bypass the whole 205 live idea and just put him on the main roster.

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Not including current champions Alexa Bliss and Charlotte, there are 19 women on the main roster. The Bellas take it to 21, with the Icons making it 23. That leaves only 7 spots to fill, easily done with 2-3 legends and a couple more NXT callups. Capping it at 20 is highly unlikely.

So does that mean that's the only women's match on the show?  I feel like there would be title defenses.  You still have an undercard to fill.  To me 20 is just right (making it :60 would be an insult though.)  I think they are taking a chance throwing a number of no-names that could get the "boring" chants going.  Unless you have Nia or Asuka just murder them one by one.