DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

You know what this means ...

Anyone willing to do their Top Ten Criterion list?

Also, Eureka is going to slowly start selling blu-ray in North America through MVD.  I think I saw that the first two releases under this deal are "Cat and.the Canary" (d: Paul Leni) and "Black Mask".

• Like 1

Picnic is indeed a 4K re-release.  It's been in the catalog a while.

If I did a top 10, it could just about only be Kurosawa, and you could look at it and go, "Yeah, good list."  I don't know if it's unfair or lucky that one person did that much quality work.  And although I have the Bergman set, I literally have not opened it and haven't watched a second of anything inside in 10 years.  I think I watched Seventh Seal and Virgin Spring ages ago and didn't really appreciate either of them (not that there's a lot to 'appreciate' about the latter). 

But, you said, "Who's doing a list?" so here's your fucking list, 5 dead obvious picks off my shelf and 5 "I wish more people went to bat for them" picks...

1. Ikiru (duh)
  2. 8 1/2 (double duh)
  3. The Piano
  4. In the Mood for Love (my first ever Criterion, picked a doozy)
  5. Late Spring
  6. Videodrome
  7. Insomnia
  8. Diabolique
  9. Repo Man
  10. 45 Years

And, aside from the aforementioned Bergman, here's my top 10 Backlog of Shame discs sitting on my shelf (because evidently I'd rather watch shitty movies; no particular order):

• McCabe & Mrs. Miller
  • Nashville
  • Eraserhead
  • Topsy-Turvy
  • Paris, Texas
  • Au Hasard Balthazar
  • Throne of Blood
  • Stalker
  • The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice
  • The Human Condition

Obviously I hate myself.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

If I did a list, I would probably delineate between “best films in the collection” and “best criterion editions of a film.” 

If the latter, I would put the Beastie Boys set (#100 IIRC) on a list just because of how comprehensive it was and for the novelty factor. 

Speaking of LaserDiscs...

I was just catching up on this guy's youtube channel and he did a couple of videos about laserdisc preservation:

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 6:11 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I've seen five films off C's lists and three of them are in the unseen one

I know the 2 you've seen because we've talked about them.  I'm guessing the other three are Eraserhead; Stalker; and Paris, Texas?

I would be something to actually go through the entire collection to see both which numbers I have and or which I have seen in any format, Criterion or not. I'd think I've seen over half if not more. 

On 1/21/2024 at 7:09 PM, odessasteps said:

I still have my laserdiscs. 

I'm avid laserdisc collector thanks to Ebay. Only Criterion I have in LD form is Hard Boiled. I really wish they would reissue that all ready along some other old titles.

As for preservation, a vcr ripper will work for laserdiscs. It's all the same RGB hook up's.

Edited by Phantom Lord

My 10 Criterions, and honestly, I think I may pull my entire collection together and watch them all.  I've committed myself to watching at least one film a night out of my entire collection, so this might do me wonders to tackle my "to watch" pile.

1. Throne of Blood (Combines my two favorite things, Kurosawa samurai films and Macbeth);
2. Hausu (batshit, quasi-"Evil Dead" bonkers from the get-go);
3. Island of Lost Souls (a classic film, with Lugosi as the Sayer of Law);
4. Notorious (underrated Hitch);
5. Fantastic Planet;
6. Life of Brian;
7. Ministry of Fear;
8. Most Dangerous Game;
9. Man Bites Dog (actually one of my earliest DVD purchases);
10. Fiend Without a Face (guilty pleasure sci-fi).

ALSO

while we're talking about laserdiscs, I stumbled onto this blog a couple weeks ago called Bad Audio on Blu-Ray:

https://blah-ray.blogspot.com/p/what-isthis-revisited-my.html

The writer compares audio tracks over different formats of the same movie. Sometimes the laserdisc is the last great audio track of a movie. He also posts wave form pictures and it's amazing how much the wave form changes from release to release.

• Like 1

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Scream VI 4K steelbook. The kiddo wanted to get it for me for Christmas when it was something like $27, and then Amazon went and jacked up the price to $50 the week before the family planned on ordering gifts for each other.

Trying to distract myself from things. This was a nice way. Here's my ten best Criterions

In The Heat of the NIght
All About Eve
Wings of Desire
To Be or Not to Be
Female Trouble
Tokyo Drifter
Repo Man
The Killer
Midnight Cowboy
The In-Laws

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1