DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

The PES 15 demo rips off FIFA's head and shits down its neck, IMO.  It may not have all the bells and whistles presentation-wise, but it delivers with gameplay.  FIFA has embraced the run-and-gun "hold sprint and take advantage of the shit defensive AI" mentality of Ultimate Team way beyond my tolerance with this edition.

That's the case with all NBA 2K games. Right now I'm using these sliders to decent effect having both games I played (GSW/LAC and OKC/SAS) come down to last second shots. The sliders fix some of the default issues such as offensive boards but create a batch of new problems, so for now I recommend just using that guy's offensive board numbers (55 human, 42 CPU) on the default sim sliders. Still a really fun game even though the servers are dreadful.

With the new offensive sets and playing the Spurs, there are some moments when you just can't do a damn thing but laugh at how good they are. Just like in real life.

Yeah, that was my biggest takeaway.  Teams and players seem more more true to life in their play.  This is the first game where the Spurs feel like the Spurs, or that I can dominate a game with Dirk.  Bunch of little things like that that most people won't notice, and will write it off as the "same old game".

I went off on the Spurs with KD in the first half and had a 15 point lead by the middle of the second quarter. Then they got back to doing Spurs things, KD went cold after they doubled him up, and they won by one with sweet big man passing in the 2nd half kicking my ass. I've only played three games at a friend's but I think I'll get it myself on Steam with birthday moneys.

Three point shooters have new animations of getting into position including a stepback gather on receiving passes that looks badass. Also, a tonne of new collision animations are neat lookin', particularly the ones in the air on dunk/layup attempts. I'm really impressed.

This may not be new, but if it's a old feature I've not noticed it before. If the home team's getting blown out, the arena empties out during the fourth quarter. Little things like that are pretty great.

One thing I've noticed.  If you are using a bad defensive team, you are going to get murdered in the paint.  In the older games, you could kind of get around that with a good defensive center.  You kinda can this year, but the AI is good at using their big to draw yours away from the hoop.  I use the Mavs, obvi, and the Blazers were just destroying me by having Lopez leak out and Lillard attacked the rim.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

Might be stupid since I haver played much basketball but couldn't you counter that with eitherc a) a zone or B) letting him leak but keeping the center low?

A zone is for pussies.  Syracuse, NY is full of pussies.

Re: EA Quality Control

Friend of mine borrows NHL 15 from the library. You can do that now. Fires it up. Finds this:

B0vi_hNCcAAGPoT.jpg

Says fuck this, is done with game.

I have a couple of theories about this:

a) The pic was obviously taken during Wayne Gretzky Day.

b) Hornqvist's got 99 problems, but his jersey ain't one

I got nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered last night that the Timberwolves might be the most fun team to use in 2K.  No one on the team is individually great, but the style of play, and everyone's specialty really compliments each other.  Also, they made Pekovic a straight beast.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Got NHL 15 for 360.  Sucks that on Rookie I win 8-1 and on Pro I lose 6-1.  Anybody know where I can get some decent sliders so it isn't these two extremes for just a solid player?

The folks over at OOTP developments are working on an American football sim. Their baseball game is second only to football manager, while their hockey game felt a bit incomplete and rushed but they'll eventually turn the corner if given time and resources. I think the football game is borrowing more from OOTP than the hockey game did.