DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

Well the '14 soccer game demos are out now and I'll probably only be buying one this year.  So these demos are farily important to me.  I've only downloaded the PES one so far and played about 3 matches.

The demo includes 6 or so national teams who I can't remember, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Santos, Boca Juniors, and Colo Colo.  Apparently PES has been built from the ground up this year and isn't just a few tweaks from the previous iteration.

Early impressions of PES:

The Good -

Player models are really good. 

• The sound (crowd reaction, oohs and aahs, that sort of thing) and overall atmosphere is much improved. 
  • Gameplay is sound so far, players behave off the ball as one would expect them to. 
  • Defenders no longer turn into Carl Lewis if you get ahead of them with the ball.
  • Keepers are improved.
  • Animations are class. 
  • Tactics and passing are more important than fancy tricks in creating scoring chances. 

The Bad -

• Jon Champion again?  How many years straight now for this guy.  They need to freshen the commentary up with someone new.
  • Ref gave a yellow for a perfect tackle, can't tell yet if they are card happy necessarily for a limited sample size.
  • Crowd animation could be better. 
  • Slow motion replays are still so slow.  Highlights at half and end of game should include some full speed replays. 
  • Menus aren't awful, but could be better.  Not digging that mouse icon at all.

The Amazing Thing that Brought a Solitary Tear to my Eye -

• Very little in soccer games from the dawn of time has bugged me more than throw-ins and how they all do a screen refresh and all the opponent players are all of a sudden in their defensive positions and your players are all standing there like tools as well, delaying the match until the ref blows his stupid whistle which then allows you to finally throw the ball into play.  The first throw-in in this game, my player went and retrieved the ball (he RAN, he actually RAN and got the ball) a few yards away out of bounds and I was able to throw it in immediately while their defense was still fairly out of position.  It all happened in real time without a ridiculous screen refresh.  It was GLORIOUS. THANK YOU, Konami. 

I'll try and download the FIFA demo sometime this weekend...hopefully they've gotten rid of the ice skating and is good on the gameplay side of things.

FIFA is more of the same, shockingly. I pre-ordered it for PS4 and the ignite engine will hopefully make it a little more worthwhile.

Gonna check the PES demo out sharpish. Are the defenders do that PES thing where they pick a spot to converge for mid-afternoon tea?

Oh, and FIFA's had that throw-in stuff for a few years, hasn't it?

I also have downloaded the two soccer demos but haven't tried either one yet.  I know very little about soccer though so I won't have any great insights but can at least tell you if I find them fun :)

Played a bunch more NHL 14 tonight.  Finding the game very frustrating.  Moved up from Rookie to Pro and tweaked the sliders - moved faceoff difficulty all the way down, turned down penalties on myself, and turned up penalties on the AI.  Also bumped up my goalie's sliders a bit.  Didn't help.  Won about 5% of the faceoffs.  Did manage to get a power play, which was nice, but still had a bunch against me.  The opponent's skill level goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up on power plays while your goalie's drops like a rock.  The AI is scoring on probably 80% or more of the power plays against me which obviously is ridiculous.  I got a 5-minute major against me tonight - which, in itself, was pretty cool - and the computer scored 3 goals on that power play in a span of abour 45 seconds, 2 of which were 50-footers.  Your goalie gives those up way too easily.  So, yeah, a frustrating night.  Tired of losing faceoffs constantly, that's for sure.

Guest The Magnificent 7

FIFA is more of the same, shockingly. I pre-ordered it for PS4 and the ignite engine will hopefully make it a little more worthwhile.

Gonna check the PES demo out sharpish. Are the defenders do that PES thing where they pick a spot to converge for mid-afternoon tea?

I'm fairly certain last year's FIFA did the screen refresh unless they did an update or something in a patch.  This is the first soccer game I've ever seen it done.  If the ball is booted into the stands, it does do a refresh still.  But if it's still in the vicinity where a player can get to it, they get the ball and players move about without teleporting. 

Most people won't care, but I think it's awesome.

I'm fairly certain last year's FIFA did the screen refresh unless they did an update or something in a patch.  This is the first soccer game I've ever seen it done.  If the ball is booted into the stands, it does do a refresh still.  But if it's still in the vicinity where a player can get to it, they get the ball and players move about without teleporting. 

Most people won't care, but I think it's awesome.

This was definitely already in FIFA 13, sans patch.  If the ball goes into touch within a certain distance, the player will hustle to get it and you can take a quick throw in.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I played a few matches of FIFA 14 today. 

It looks great, and plays great.  I'm usually not impressed with EA's efforts with FIFA, but they've really done a good job with this one.  This is going to be a really tough choice as both games look like they'll be very good. 

The change of fortunes for Pro Evolution Soccer and FIFA is really something. On the PlayStaton 2, PES was the choice for football fans as it was the better game. I played Pro Evolution 3 all the way to 6 having great fun playing with and against my Dad. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 was my favourite out of the four I played.

Going onto this generation of consoles when I was on the wii for a year and a half, I read that FIFA was now the game of choice. I traded in my Wii to get a brand new Xbox 360 Elite in early September 2009 and FIFA '10 was my first ever FIFA. I thought it was good but still preferred the PES games from my PS2 days. I got a magazine with a FIFA '12 demo and couldn't stop playing it so bought the full game and is probably the best football game I've played. I played the PES 2013 demo and it didn't do it for me.

Now in the past two years, it sounds like PES is back. One of the main gaming websites I use, GameCentral gave it an 8/10 today saying it's the best one this generation. Here's a sample of it:

Nevertheless PES 2014 opens up clear daylight between Pro Evo and FIFA. We’re prevented from saying anything about FIFA 14 until the embargo lifts next week but it seems fair to say that PES is going for the more realistic simulation and EA for the crowd-pleasing mainstream action game. Both approaches are perfectly valid, but what’s changed from recent years is that it’s now a choice between too equally good but purposefully different games.

Well, we say equal. Even compared to FIFA 13 the presentation in PES 2014 is still woefully inferior and of course Konami has very few official licences of any importance – and all the transfers are laughably out of date. But that’s how PES has always been and it shouldn’t affect your buying decision now any more than it did in the series’ PlayStation 2 heyday.

Konami’s marketing pitch for PES 2014 is that it’s the ‘dawn of a new era’, which sounds like the sort of meaningless marketing spiel you’d get for any sequel. But here it’s true. This is the point at which PES breaks back into the top flight and if it continues to improve in the next generation then its best days may no longer be behind it.

In Short: The best Pro Evo has been all generation and, for players looking for a more in-depth and grounded game of football, a genuine alternative to FIFA.

Pros: Excellent new graphics and physics engine makes for arguably the best simulation of the beautiful game so far. Nuanced controls, but plenty of assist options for newcomers.

Cons: Defensive artificial intelligence is unreliable and prone to mistakes, as are the refs. Poor presentation and little improvement in terms of game modes.

Score: 8/10

Credit: metro.co.uk/gamecentral

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

I will want to be playing the FIFA's with some of you dudes down the road (in case you haven't gotten it yet).  Don't know if you have 360 or PS3 version, Zheroen, but you sound like a regular player from past posts, so my gamertag is Celtic FC 1967 if you ever want to play.  Anyone else who gets it feel free to friend me on Xbox Live.

Eh, yet another sports game ad/trailer that features no actual gameplay footage. What I find funny is that they've for all these awesome models like Lebron or Harden, who look amazing, and then you've Kobe. Kobe has always looked like some weird mutant in games and this one is no different, LOL.

Agreed. It's weird how awful Kobe looks, yet he's all over the trailer. The video is of gameplay, is it not? "Actual Playstation 4 NBA 2K14 game footage with variable camera angles." 

Also, is LeBron's headband thick enough? And all the new emotions in facial reactions are for not if we don't get two things. Technical fouls and Rasheed Wallace technical fouls.

Yeah, I know they called it gameplay but c'mon. That ain't what the game will look like when anybody is actually playing it. It looks like a bunch of replays to me - the dead giveaway being no scores or clocks - or anything else - on the screen during this "gameplay".

So, has anyone else picked up FM14? Might be good to get a netgame going..

This is the first year I'm skipping since I started playing back in '05 (relative newb). With PS4, practicum, and other good shit out there, I'm set.

Let us know how it is.