DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

FIFA 14 update -

Leeds opened the season away to Tottenham and nearly came away with something to show for the trip.  After weathering a few close calls, a beautiful counterattack resulted in a shock goal for the away side, Adam LeFondre playing a perfectly weighted pass across to Ross McCormack who slotted home before the keeper could reach it.  We managed to get to half time ahead 1-0 and itching to start the season with 3 points.  In the second half, though, Eriksen leveled in the 83rd minute with a great individual effort.  To add to the misery, FIFA 14 shenanigans reared its ugly head and in the 90th minute the dreaded over the top chip to a streaking Soldado ended up with the ball in the net.  2-1 Spurs, nothing to show for a good effort.  EA and that perfectly weighted chip over the top of the defense is silly.  Happens all the time on the higher difficulty levels.  Oh well.

Next up was a home match against Stoke City.  Two goals in the first half from Adam LeFondre, both goals were of the predator variety with him slotting home in the six yard box after the initial shot was deflected or came off the post.  We were cruising until the 68th minute when Stoke broke the glass in case of emergency and threw on Liverpool Legend Charlie Adam.  Unfortunately for Stoke, the bold Charlie had that one in a million match where his inch perfect long passes did not routinely find a teammate.  So we ran out 3-0 winners after Luke Murphy wrapped up the points late on.  MOTM - LeFondre

Two matches played = 3 points. 

There was, but it merged with this because there hasn't been a huge jump with FM mechanics in a long time, outside of no one figured out how to exploit the engine yet.

Guest The Magnificent 7

FIFA 14 update -

It's the end of November, and Leeds are sitting midtable with 21 points or so.  The last four matches went like this:

Wigan 2-1 Leeds    Maloney tore us up

Leeds 0 - 0 Arsenal    Played Arsenal off the park but great saves and some poor finishing meant it finished a draw

Leeds 2 - 0  Manchester United    Adam LeFondre destroyed Moyes boys.  2 class goals.

Southampton 3 - 2  Leeds     Down 2 at half, clawed one back through Jordi Gomez left foot strike, screwed up by having Lonbantsev run out of goal to try and stop a break away 10 yards away from the 18 yard box, he missed the tackle and the Southampton player made it 3-1.  LeFondre scored a nice late header. 

In off the pitch news, Sam Byram turned down an extension to his contract despite meeting his demands.  He has a year and 8 months left, so I transfer listed him since he's having his head turned by someone else. 

At the top of the table, Man City are in the lead followed by Spurs, Chelsea, and Liverpool.

LeFondre is 1 behind Rooney in the scoring chart on 9 goals. 

There are some interesting jobs I can apply for now, since I'm a decent manager.  In the PL, I can apply for the Arsenal gig, West Ham, Norwich, Wigan, Stoke, and one other I can't remember.  I'd rather stay with Leeds if I stay in England, but there are some Italian jobs I may apply for.  Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina, Torino, and Hellas Verona are available to apply for. 

I'm thinking of applying for the Hellas Verona job or the Fiorentina job (I want a club where I don't have a huge transfer budget, want to progress more slowly / realistically).  I think you don't find out until the end of the season or something, so if I can get Leeds comortably mid-table I won't feel bad about leaving.  I'd like some Bundesliga jobs to come open so I can apply for those.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Mag 7, would you recommend FIFA to someone who hasn't played a soccer game since an early Winning Eleven on the PS2?

Yeah.  I've always been a Winning Eleven / PES guy so I'm not a FIFA acolyte or anything.  It has its faults, and I kind of regret getting it over PES this year because I think PES is the better playing title, but it's not a huge gulf or anything.  FIFA just has so many damn leagues and teams.  I haven't gotten into the editor one single time, and I used to spend ages tinkering around with PES getting kits right, players, teams, crests, etc.  Part of me misses that, as it was kind of a yearly ritual, but a large part of me doesn't miss trying to get Legia Warsaw's crest pixel perfect, you know? 

FIFA 14 is a pretty good game all told.  Beyond some gameplay concerns the only stuff I really hate is the Windows 8 menu design, and hearing the same licensed music crap over and over.  It does a lot right, though, in presentation and all that once you are playing a match. 

FIFA is a good choice for a point of re-entry into soccer gaming, especially if you've lapsed since Winning Eleven/PES heyday of the PS2.  However, this year's version definitely has chinks in its armor that will surface after a few hours of gaming that become unavoidable and irritating.  I just sold my FIFA 14 on eBay (somehow managed to net $46.00 for a used copy) after having acquired PES 2013 for free from a workplace rewards points redemption program, and I don't regret the decision at all.  There's the necessary evil of hunting down option files with updated rosters/names/etc. at first, and then subsequent editing of those to my perfectionist standards, but in a way...that's part of the fun (as Mag7 alluded to in his post).

So  we are forever without an NCAA football game?!!!

What's the news on the streets, I was on holiday and everything went to hell in a matter of just a few days, I'm so behind on catching up on the news I missed out on it's been like a damned 40 hour week job just getting back to par.

I heard about the lawsuit and such but I'd also heard of other possible ways to create a another game.
Any news?

Please forgive my dumbassedness

Mag 7, would you recommend FIFA to someone who hasn't played a soccer game since an early Winning Eleven on the PS2?

Yeah.  I've always been a Winning Eleven / PES guy so I'm not a FIFA acolyte or anything.  It has its faults, and I kind of regret getting it over PES this year because I think PES is the better playing title, but it's not a huge gulf or anything.  FIFA just has so many damn leagues and teams.  I haven't gotten into the editor one single time, and I used to spend ages tinkering around with PES getting kits right, players, teams, crests, etc.  Part of me misses that, as it was kind of a yearly ritual, but a large part of me doesn't miss trying to get Legia Warsaw's crest pixel perfect, you know? 

FIFA 14 is a pretty good game all told.  Beyond some gameplay concerns the only stuff I really hate is the Windows 8 menu design, and hearing the same licensed music crap over and over.  It does a lot right, though, in presentation and all that once you are playing a match. 

FIFA is probably the one series I buy year after year now that NCAA Football is no longer an option. I think my biggest frustration with this year's game is the way it allows the AI to find ways to pull off last second scoring goals.

It looks like from Mag 7's posts that there's a pretty good career/franchise type mode in FIFA. Is that correct?

I really enjoy the career mode, and I am actually doing the same thing that Mags is doing with fighting to earn promotion for Leeds.

For whatever reason, I never use the big clubs in career mode. I either go the MLS route or do what I am doing now.

I guess it just feels to easy to play through Barclays or whatever.

I have PES since it was free a couple of months ago.  I haven't played a game because it looked so overwhelming.  I don't have even the most basic knowledge of the teams, or the leagues or any of that.  I feel like I would have fun with it if I understood it at all.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Post up your current Leeds team, Chaos. 

I made some transfers in the January window, selling Sam Byram because he wouldn't sign his new deal.  So I brought in Kiril Kombarov from Spartak Moscow as replacement at right back for a cool 1 million.  I then spent the rest of the warchest (and by warchest I mean back of the couch money compared to the other PL clubs) I was allocated by the board on Nikola Maksimovic from Torino.  Malioukas is over 30 and he's asking for a wage hike, so I wanted to be proactive at CB there since Pearce is the only other decent CB. 

Unfortunately I only got to see the new faces play 1 match, because Fiorentina offered me the manager position (I had applied for it) and I really couldn't turn it down.  Although I was building a pretty decent team with Leeds, and left them in 7th or 8th place, I was going to be working with players of the caliber of Rossi, Aquilani, Wolski, and Cuadrado.  They are in 7th place and the goal is to win the Serie A title, so I'll have my work cut out for me to achieve that. 

I saved under a different file once I made the move, so I may go back to play with Leeds in the future.  I'll miss LeFondre and Melikson, two really tidy players.

Guest The Magnificent 7

It looks like from Mag 7's posts that there's a pretty good career/franchise type mode in FIFA. Is that correct?

It's pretty good.  I like that the announcers comment during matches if a player of yours is having his head turned by other clubs or other speculation.  Makes it feel like the "story" stuff isn't in a vacuum.  When we played Reading, the announcers would say shit about LeFondre wanting to show his old club what they were missing, etc.

Given that I do not follow soccer as much as I would like, I probably do not understand the "who should I use" outside of the top tier guys. I have made a few minor changes, but I did not make a lot of changes in the opening transfer window. I am closing in on the January window, and I am working my way up the table. I have fought back into mid-table with Leeds.

I will post my team when I have a second to get back on the game. You can maybe offer me some suggestions. I know that Diouf in both FIFA 13 and FIFA 14 has proved to be my best scorer with Leeds..