DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

I thought that the last THQ published UFC game was pretty good, but you may be able to find EA MMA for dirt cheap and I would suggest getting that. I really liked the career mode for it and there are Vale Tudo, Pride-ish and Strikeforce promotions you can fight for.

No matter how I pump my stats up in NBA 2k14, I still fucking suck at it. I haven't cracked a C+ in any game on MyPlayer.

Set picks.  Lots and lots of picks.

Don't spam the 'A' or 'X' button (not sure which console) during cut scenes. You will get punished for it.

Also, you get a better grade for doing fundamental stuff, rather than scoring.  Rebounds, assists, steals and drawing fouls will net you the biggest bonus.

which is the best UFC and/or boxing game to get for PS3?

I was gonna pick up the UFC game that has PRIDE rules on it simply for that reason but wasn't sure if it held up. As for boxing I know Fight Night is pretty much the only thing on the market and the story mode almost always sucks so which is the best of the worst haha?

I thought Fight Night Champion was really good.  The story mode was fun, and the actual gameplay felt like a reasonable improvement over Round 4.

which is the best UFC and/or boxing game to get for PS3?

I was gonna pick up the UFC game that has PRIDE rules on it simply for that reason but wasn't sure if it held up. As for boxing I know Fight Night is pretty much the only thing on the market and the story mode almost always sucks so which is the best of the worst haha?

I thought Fight Night Champion was really good.  The story mode was fun, and the actual gameplay felt like a reasonable improvement over Round 4.

I really like Champion too. Although, Champion is best if you are playing with a couple of friends. I keep debating picking it up. It occasionally pops up on an XBL Flash sale for like $4.99. I would maybe try to grab it under that premise if I were you.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, but does EA usually allow for such customization? They seem pretty rigid when it comes to that kind of stuff.

How the game handles injuries sounds awesome (certain body parts more susceptible, early retirements, easing back from injuries, adding player gear to go along with injuries like knee braces). 2K usually does a great job with bells and whistles and I was disappointed with that part of 2K14, particularly the menu system and the fact you couldn't save files to your HDD but had to upload them and then download them every time you used them. The interview states that you save the league mode to your HDD, so that's a start.

EA is going to probably allow for less customization with each passing year.

They indicated as much during interviews with their team for EA UFC.

The O'Bannon case has really spooked them to where they are slowly going to kill custom file sharing through stuff like EA Locker.

MyLeague pretty much just sounds like Association, with some obvious improvements.  Everyone is acting like it's some incredible new feature, when it's really just Association.  I like the improvements(thought I likely won't see any of them on the PS3), but I'm not doing a backflip over "no VC" when Association has never cost VC.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I was playing FIFA over the weekend and was thinking while it's cool that reporters break in to your match to talk about a penalty or something at another ground, wouldn't it be great at halftime (and FT) if there were highlights from other matches around the league. 

In other words, we're 10 years removed from NFL 2K5 and these sports game dev clowns can't reproduce that kind of greatness. 

And they can throw Kay Murray in there to do the highlights to make it even better.

• 1 month later...

So it appears that they overhauled the ratings system on NBA 2K this year.  Only 4 people above 90.  Seems like they are going for a more realistic approach and addressing the concerns of people being over/underrated.  Not really seen anything on what the new criteria are, but I like what I saw.

Apparently, EA decided to gut NHL 15 this year.  No season mode, for one thing.  Tons of features removed.  From the demo I played, the on-ice action seems good but that was limited interaction.  EA is promising to restore some features via free updates (a la UFC) but it's sounding like "wait til next year" if you're a hockey fan.  That's a bummer.

Dude I'm so excited.  I can't afford a PS4, but my hand was forced and I have to buy a new computer.  The one I'm getting is fairly high powered, and the PC version of NBA 2K is the next gen.  Will be getting 2K on the PC for the first time ever.

I enjoyed the FIFA 15 demo on PC and am very glad to see the current gen graphics make their way to my computer. I was most impressed with the presentation at Anfield, with all of the trademark songs being sung and some really neat highlight videos and replays. The emotions after a penalty is given is a cool touch too, with some players begrudgingly accepting and others getting angry. Next year they need to enable the Chelsea/Barcelona mode where the entire team swarms the referee during key decisions and if you input the Konami code during this sequence you unlock the following:

gif5.gif

The mods will make a good game great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been good with the hardware side of things on a PC.  I'm looking at getting the PC version of 2K15, and I meet the minimum requirements, but I'm concerned about not getting the full performance out of it.  I have a AMD A10-6700 processor, Radeon HD 8670D graphics card and 12gb of RAM.  Should I be ok with this hardware running the game?

Your CPU might be okay, I'm not an expert - the more I read the less I'm thinking it'll do on medium-to-high settings. Check out the review of it playing the likes of Skyrim and Tomb Raider. 30fps on the lowest settings at 1920x1080 with Tomb Raider. You'll defo need a better graphics card if you want to play on decent settings though. 2K's recommended AMD card is the Radeon R7 260. Amazon has it for around $120. I mean, you could probably get by on low settings well enough. The alternatives would be to spend $270-350 on upgrades (you may need a new mobo to support the new CPU) or purchase a PS4 or Xbone. It seems all but confirmed that WWE 2K15 will eventually be out on PC as well. Think of the modding possibilities, bruh! With NBA 2K14 on PC, you have a mod that has every season's rosters with draft classes dating back to the 1970s or '60s (it's been a while since I last checked). Think of how rad a WWE game with mods will be. FIFA too, now that it has the current gen graphics, is a good bet for the PC. If you decide to supe up your machine, check out Tom's Hardware for the most cost efficient options.

Just as a general note, I would weep for joy if computer components adopted a more logical, easy to follow numbering policy. Trying to determine what you have and what that means when you are looking at parts is a complete fucking chore.

There's a reason car models are just listed by year, you know?

• Like 1

That seems to be issue.  Nobody ever has any good info if the AMD products work or not.  I get a question mark everytime.  I'm beginning to feel like I may need to stick with PS3 version this year.  It would help if they had a demo, then I would have a better idea before I dropped the money on it.  Might have to "try before I buy" if you know what I mean.