Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

The mac and cheese inside a Cheeto that Burger King is offering may be the most disgusting fast food item I've ever seen. Thought nothing could top the hamburger wrapped in a pizza offered by Boston Pizza but this did (and as an aside why is Boston Pizza only in Canada? Shouldn't there at least be one in Boston? And since when was Boston famous for it's pizza? They should've named it New Haven Pizza.). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The mac and cheese inside a Cheeto that Burger King is offering may be the most disgusting fast food item I've ever seen. Thought nothing could top the hamburger wrapped in a pizza offered by Boston Pizza but this did (and as an aside why is Boston Pizza only in Canada? Shouldn't there at least be one in Boston? And since when was Boston famous for it's pizza? They should've named it New Haven Pizza.). 

This is only tangentially related, but Pete's New Haven pizza is my favorite pizza on the planet.  If that is what New Haven style pizza is like, every pizza should be New Haven Pizza.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sabremike said:

The mac and cheese inside a Cheeto that Burger King is offering may be the most disgusting fast food item I've ever seen. Thought nothing could top the hamburger wrapped in a pizza offered by Boston Pizza but this did (and as an aside why is Boston Pizza only in Canada? Shouldn't there at least be one in Boston? And since when was Boston famous for it's pizza? They should've named it New Haven Pizza.). 

My wife's tempted by it and I'm not succeeding in convincing her otherwise.  It's something that if somebody wanted to go all "Screw you, Burger King!" they could probably make the real deal and put Cheetos dust on the outside.  I wonder if @supremebve would be up for the challenge.  As far as most disgusting as long as there is (was) things like The McRib then Mac and Cheetos are not top of the list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder on National Doughnut Day that Dunkin' is absolute trash and most of their locations do not bake fresh and have old doughnuts filled with artificial garbage shipped from offsite factories. There are so many awesome places to get fantastic doughnuts, do not waste your money on their garbage. Some of my favorites for my fellow NYC people: Dun-Well Doughnuts, Doughnut Plant, & Dough! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WholeFnMachine said:

Just a reminder on National Doughnut Day that Dunkin' is absolute trash and most of their locations do not bake fresh and have old doughnuts filled with artificial garbage shipped from offsite factories. There are so many awesome places to get fantastic doughnuts, do not waste your money on their garbage. Some of my favorites for my fellow NYC people: Dun-Well Doughnuts, Doughnut Plant, & Dough! 

There's a couple good places, one that's near my friend's house (hoping they're still open when I get there)  I'll admit to doing Dunkin' because it's nearby, it's to me the McDonald's of doughnut places.  But there's a helluva a difference between what they put out and what a legit place does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

There's a couple good places, one that's near my friend's house (hoping they're still open when I get there)  I'll admit to doing Dunkin' because it's nearby, it's to me the McDonald's of doughnut places.  But there's a helluva a difference between what they put out and what a legit place does.

I actually have a huge list of doughnut places in my phone, by borough for NYC & Long Island as well and then a list of shops in other states as well. Anytime we go on vacation I have to attempt to hit a local doughnut shop if there is one. LOVE doughnuts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Just a reminder on National Doughnut Day that Dunkin' is absolute trash and most of their locations do not bake fresh and have old doughnuts filled with artificial garbage shipped from offsite factories. There are so many awesome places to get fantastic doughnuts, do not waste your money on their garbage. Some of my favorites for my fellow NYC people: Dun-Well Doughnuts, Doughnut Plant, & Dough! 

That's all well and good but some of us don't have $4 to splurge on a single donut and the $1 D&D ones are perfectly adequate (Tims and Twin will also do the trick). And of course Krispy Kreme.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2017 at 4:42 PM, sabremike said:

That's all well and good but some of us don't have $4 to splurge on a single donut and the $1 D&D ones are perfectly adequate (Tims and Twin will also do the trick). And of course Krispy Kreme.

I hear you dude, but you get what you pay for if you know what I'm saying. Hey, I'm also an anti corporate chain guy, no fast food, no McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Five Guys etc. Once in a blue moon I make the White Castle exception, but hey, I'm kid from Queens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 8:02 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

Just a reminder on National Doughnut Day that Dunkin' is absolute trash and most of their locations do not bake fresh and have old doughnuts filled with artificial garbage shipped from offsite factories. There are so many awesome places to get fantastic doughnuts, do not waste your money on their garbage. Some of my favorites for my fellow NYC people: Dun-Well Doughnuts, Doughnut Plant, & Dough! 

You don't go Dunkin for donuts. You go there because its close and coffee of some variety is on sale or you have a coupon for said coffee. The only donut I usually get from Dunkin is the croissant donut, and that is too expensive to get often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Took me 3 tries, but I have finally gotten the hang of my sous vide circulator and attendant skills like pan searing without setting off the fire alarm.  For someone like me who has made it to 40 with only the most rudimentary cooking skills, producing an actual good bone-in lamb chop in the most foolproof method possible feels like a triumph.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Ordered a double salmon/double toro sashimi (my usual, sometimes with edamame) from my favorite local spot. So goddamn good. Can't beat an awesome Japanese joint. 

IMG_1146.jpg

I would so fucking kill for that. We have no decent Japanese places in Gallup, yeah, I can make sushi pretty good for an Irish kid from Seattle, but without decent ingredients to start with, what's the point.  There's a really good Asian market in Albuquerque, we just need to make the drive there every so often. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a decent Asian market here in the northern suburbs of Denver. I went once with my parents. It had all kinds of crazy-looking fruits and veggies, as well as fish with great big eyes. 

I got a whole fish (I forget what kind, but it was not a Colorado trout or catfish or anything like that). I baked with butter and garlic powder. It was delicious. But it had so many bones that I had to stand over the sink eating it (for easy bone-spittage).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Carrying on from the derailed gas station good talk a few weeks ago...

For a limited time, Royal Farms has ...

Chicken and Waffles. 

The chicken part will be great, but not certain about doing chicken and waffles from there.  I'd love to find out if any brave souls here try it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

McDonald's poutine is actually really great and needs to come to America. In fact I am going to run for president with my entire platform being negotionating an agreement with McDonald's to start serving poutine in America. I expect to win the election with 95% of the vote (The other 5% are people with dairy allergies).

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sabremike said:

Poutine is actually really great and needs to come to America. In fact I am going to run for president with my entire platform being negotionating an agreement  to start serving poutine in America. I expect to win the election with 95% of the vote (The other 5% are people with dairy allergies).

FTFY.  I'm now your campaign manager.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a Clark Burger that's not far from me and they do poutine right.  It's sooooo damn good and I'm surprised I haven't gotten this more.  Also really love their poutine burger and that's really good too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...