DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

So I may be doing a cooking stream with an acquaintance sometime during the summer.

I mod his twitch channel and he said he didnt know how to cook anything, but loves food. So I said i'd cook for him.

Beefburgers, cajun spiced chips, beer battered onion rings and barbecue sauce. Should be a laugh and a half.

Details closer to the time. I'd appreciate you dropping by and throwing random abuse at me (u/n mikey_bt) and Cy (u/n cyanideplaysgames)

• Like 1

What the fuck have you done??? You're supposed to batter the onion rings, not commit assault and battery on them!!! Are you seriously contemplating putting barbecue sauce on the onion rings instead of tartar sauce? That's like piling shit on top of shit and serving it up with a big side of shit!!! Just practicing... ;-)

1 hour ago, steve said:

Loving the blog my dude... one thing I noticed though, in your chicken recipe, you listed the internal temp of your bird at 265. Might be a tad dry :P

Thanks, I'm glad yo caught that.  I would have probably never noticed.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, supremebve said:

Anyone like lamb kabobs?  I sure do...http://ontheeatenpath.com/2017/03/27/lamb-kabobs/

I live in the middle of the Navajo Nation, you don't survive these parts without a taste for mutton. (Yes, lamb is much less of a shock to the city folks tastebuds than mutton, but both are great for kabobs). I'm the odd man out in my family in that I haven't a clue as to how to butcher a sheep. For folk in these parts that's like learning to ride a bicycle. I would assume that you begin by hitting the subject over the head with a baseball bat or similar, or perhaps just go directly to the throat-cutting part, after that it gets a little dicey.

Last Friday I drove down to Cincinnati to visit Jungle Jim's(one of my Fuck It List items) and to meet up with a buddy I hadn't seen in years. We went to a place called BJ's Brewhouse and I had a Brisket Bacon Burger. It was so freaking good. Probably the best burger I've ever had.

22 hours ago, driver said:

Last Friday I drove down to Cincinnati to visit Jungle Jim's(one of my Fuck It List items) and to meet up with a buddy I hadn't seen in years. We went to a place called BJ's Brewhouse and I had a Brisket Bacon Burger. It was so freaking good. Probably the best burger I've ever had.

If it's the one I'm thinking of there's one that's not far from here.  I don't recall seeing that on the menu last time there but I'll have to check that out next time.  But they do have some pretty good food there.

Yeah, I remember the menu being pretty big.  We would normally get appetizers so I can't comment on main dishes there (though the chips and guacamole are pretty great)  For a chain restaurant/bar they brew some pretty good beers.  I particularly liked the winter seasonal ones they have, though the names escape me.

I'm a graduate with high honors of the Institute of Culinary Education's Pastry & Baking Arts Program. I have my own business which I was forced to turn into a "hardly ever have time to take orders" side job because I just didn't have enough clients. I work as an office manager as a profession because bakers make $6-8 off the books in NY and my family life isn't really conducive to being a pastry chef in a restaurant. When I do bake I post photos on either my business page https://www.facebook.com/PutItInYourFace or my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/huntingforjoy/ feel free to enjoy! 

Stupid question:

I followed a recipe last night to roast some chicken legs and vegetables.  Nothing fancy, but it turned out well.

The recipe had me cut a lemon in half and put it on the baking sheet with the chicken and vegetables.  Like I'm not squeezing lemon juice over anything, it's just two halves of a lemon sitting there in the oven.  What is that supposed to do to the food?

2 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Stupid question:

I followed a recipe last night to roast some chicken legs and vegetables.  Nothing fancy, but it turned out well.

The recipe had me cut a lemon in half and put it on the baking sheet with the chicken and vegetables.  Like I'm not squeezing lemon juice over anything, it's just two halves of a lemon sitting there in the oven.  What is that supposed to do to the food?

Lemons are aromatic, so it will probably give a light lemon flavor.  It is kind of like garlic.  If you use whole garlic cloves, it will perfume your dish with garlic.  If you slice the garlic it will be a little bit more garlic flavor.  If you mince the garlic, it will be maximum garlic flavor.  If you want a lot of lemon flavor use the zest, juice will give you a little less, but if you just want something perfumed with lemon flavor roast it with halved lemons.  

When I was trying to figure out my Chicken Tikka recipe, a lot of the recipes I found asked for lemon juice.  The juice was just too acidic for what I wanted.  I chose to use zest, which gave me a lot of lemon flavor, but cut down on the harsh acidity.  It doesn't seem like a lot, but the flavor of the dish was significantly different.  Aromatic ingredients like onions, garlic, ginger, herbs, etc. can really make a huge difference based on how your final dish tastes depending on how you use them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Learn how to reverse sear a steak.  http://ontheeatenpath.com/2017/04/07/reverse-sear-steak/  I really need to figure out how to light my pics, because this was perfectly medium-rare.  No matter what I did the meat looked closer to medium-well once I snapped the pic.

DSC_0818.jpg?w=1620

Medium-well, medium-rare, who cares? I'd eat that in a NY minute.

• Like 1