DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

wild_bunch_ver2_xlg

53) THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

Director: Sam Peckinpah

485 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, Execproducer, WNBB, Caley, JH, Magnificent 7

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #9 (60s)

therrien_thing

52) THE THING (1982)

Director: John Carpenter

487 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: DFA, KLOS, Magnificent 7, New Blood, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #16 (80s)

00aac3f6f94d2c02f2872d7c5ce456ab

51) MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (1975)

Director: Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones

489 Points (7 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTES: Tbarrie & Chaos (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: DFA, Execproducer, Matt D, Paco, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION; RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (90)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #14 (70s)

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

56) IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)

Director: Frank Capra

467 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Tbarrie, Chaos, JT, Hobo Joe, Sublime, JH

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

This is my go-to favourite movie.  It just always makes me feel good.  I want to watch it right now, but don't want to dig through the Christmas decorations to find it.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

55) REAR WINDOW (1954)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

471 Points (8 Votes + 1HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Matt D, WNBB, JT, Lacelle, Caley, JH, Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #12 (50s)

My #29.  For a while it was my favourite Hitchcock, but sometimes I just prefer the visceral thrill of 'Psycho'.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

54) THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (1962)

Director: John Ford

475 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Ed (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, DFA, Execproducer, WNBB, (BP), Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (60s)

I had this at #7.  My second favourite Western.  Everything about it is perfect.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

53) THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

Director: Sam Peckinpah

485 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, Execproducer, WNBB, Caley, JH, Magnificent 7

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #9 (60s)

My #73.  This would probably be higher on my ballot but the last time I watched it, I noticed a horse on the bridge when it blows up and that kinda stuff really bothers me, so I've found myself unable to re-watch it.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

52) THE THING (1982)

Director: John Carpenter

487 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: DFA, KLOS, Magnificent 7, New Blood, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #16 (80s)

My #51.  I watched the remake/sequel not too long ago and was surprised at how the updated special effects were infinitely less effective and gruesome than the original.  I love the story about people asking Keith David years later which of them 

was the alien at the end and David simply replied 

"Well, I don't know about (Kurt Russell), but it sure as hell wasn't me."

60) A Clockwork Orange. Disturbing film. One of the best openings to a movie. #92.

59) City of God. I managed to watch this back for the project and that helped it's placement coming in at #38.

57) Ghostbusters. Watched Ghostbusters for the first time in years and it reminded me how good this supernatural comedy is. Seeing where it placed on my ballot, #71, it needed moving up some. The theme song is so catchy.

It's A Wonderful Life - 2 months after I proposed to Janice (aka The Wife) we were trying to pick a movie to see on Christmas Day since the theater was going to be empty and I'm Jewish (yes we had Chinese for lunch even though she is technically Roman Catholic). There was very little we wanted to see at the theater that day but then I saw there was a showing of It's A Wonderful Life and Janice had never seen it before (try to remember that The Wife and have a 17 year age difference). She agreed that we should see it. The fac the first time she saw it was on the big screen was even better. This was almost 3 years ago now. Last night we were in our shared office at home and she turned to me and said "Baby, when we have the family we want, can we watch It's Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve every year?".

I almost broke down crying from the beauty of that question

James

• Like 2

City of God is so fucking awesome and heartbreaking.  Another movie like Schindler's List that I think is really great but I'd never sit down and say, "Hey, I think I'll watch City of God, today!"

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's a different kind of heartbreaking. Schindler's List is truly a short list of films you'd never watch again entry (I did a thread for those in here one time). City of God, I liked so much I bought it. 

Oh, I bought it on DVD too after seeing it on IFC and I have only watched it once.  I am surprised I had the courage to take it out of the plastic.

I love City of God and I agree that there is a very heartbreaking aspect to the movie I find it very easy to revisit and do so atleast once a year. Of course I was the high vote and it was my number 2 movie so it is obvious that I think very high of it. On the other hand I have never watched Schindlers List, having seen so much real footage from WW2 I've never been able to decide to sit down and watch a dramatized version of what happened or really and desire to revisit the historical footage very much either it's all too heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

erwin-the-wizard-of-oz

50) THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

Director: Victor Fleming

503 Points (9 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTES: JT (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Ed, Chaos, Raziel, CSC, (BP), Sublime, JH - HONORABLE MENTION: Execproducer, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%) : METACRITIC (100)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: N/A

charlton-heston-janet-leigh-poster-touch-of-evil-1958-bnwcjc

48) TOUCH OF EVIL (1958)

Director: Orson Welles

519 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTES: RIPPA (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Ed, WNBB, Execproducer, JT, Matt D, (BP), New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #10 (50s)

00bfe420477623.5604281dcff6b

47) FULL METAL JACKET (1987)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

523 Points (9 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: WNBB (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Raziel, Z, Magnificent 7, Lacelle, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Cyanide, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: DFA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (78)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #7 (80s)

Maltese Falcon was our last 6 vote movie

Network was our last 7 vote movie

Everything from here on out appeared on at least 8 ballots

And for a frame of reference of how well Maltese Falcon did - it's lowest vote was 28