DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I believe that there is a three letter answer to #3. We may not like the results, but it is there.

Clue me in.

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

fuck outta here with that. Mir hasn't had a win in two years. and who's clamoring for a Fedor/Mir fight?

Clearly you don't follow Bellator. Who was clamoring for Kimbo/Dada 5000 and Shamrock/Gracie? Who was clamoring for Ortiz/Sonnen? Rampage/Lawal the rematch? Wins clearly don't matter to Bellator's business model and those are their biggest fights. Mousasi vs. either Manhoef or Carvalho might crack 750k avg. The corpses of Fedor vs. Mir are going to do over a million based on the promotional effort Bellator is going to put forth and nostalgia, which is the only thing Bellator has going when it comes to their so called tentpole events. So whatever problem you have with those fights, you gotta take up with Scott Coker and the fans who regularly watch those shitshows.

He's won five straight with four finishes. 

Those wins don't roll over to Bellator. He is automatically better than Rafael Carvalho, and I don't think it matters who he beat if he isn't a top draw (TV or PPV). 

Is the UFC going to live? of course.

That's all that matters especially if their competition hasn't been able to really profit off the free agents they have signed already. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I believe that there is a three letter answer to #3. We may not like the results, but it is there.

Clue me in

Okay, second clue is that it's in the realm of fake-fighting and said figurehead of this organization frequently abbreviates his name to two initials, and they're exactly the same!

If we're talking about the folks in Stamford, CT, I don't think it's fair to compare a publicly traded company that runs profitable live events to a privately owned subsidiary that scaled down their # of events to still run quarterly cards in Thackerville, Oklahoma.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Frank Mir hasn't been a relevant heavyweight in like five years.

Chael Sonnen and Vanderlai Silva hasn't been relevant except for the drug or mouth issues for close to 7 and they main evented their first PPV.  

It is all about the freak show factor concerning Fedor fights.  Hell if Coker can figure out how to get a Bob Sapp in Bellator he would have done it years ago.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Chael Sonnen and Vanderlai Silva hasn't been relevant except for the drug or mouth issues for close to 7 and they main evented their first PPV.  

It is all about the freak show factor concerning Fedor fights.  Hell if Coker can figure out how to get a Bob Sapp in Bellator he would have done it years ago.

How hard is it for people to understand this concept? Relevancy and ratings don't exactly correlate especially in MMA. 

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

True but have we gotten information on the buy rates on the PPV to prove that argument.  Nobody is expecting them to get UFC number but wondering if it is even got Ring of Honor or TNA numbers.

Would a PPV headlined by Mousasi, draw bigger numbers?  I like Mousasi, I think he's a top 5 Middleweight, and I wish he was still in the UFC.  The UFC will not miss him, his drawing power, or lose a dime because he is gone.  The UFC is what people are paying for first and foremost, and then certain individual fighters.  Mousasi isn't one of those fighters.  I don't think there is a single fighter on the roster who can leave and do any long term damage to the UFC machine.  GSP left, nothing really happened.  Lesnar left, nothing really happened.  McGregor probably won't fight this year, and nothing is going to happen.  Ronda is probably done, nothing much is going to happen.  Their buyrates will ebb and flow, but one monkey don't stop this show.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

True but have we gotten information on the buy rates on the PPV to prove that argument.  Nobody is expecting them to get UFC number but wondering if it is even got Ring of Honor or TNA numbers.

Rumor is 50-75k on the NYC show but they were hoping for mid 200s  which is crazy considering the highest non UFC MMA PPV number is 100k. I said the highest they could hope for is a little over 100k. The fact that there isn't any early estimate coming up on 3 weeks after the show is telling.

But yeah, I was agreeing with you. Nobody has to explain to me of all people what Gegard Mousasi or anybody's else CV is. I'm telling you if it came down to Mousasi vs. Carvalho or Fedor vs. Mir on the same show for Bellator, the latter is headlining the show without any hesitation. Bellator isn't about legitimacy as much as recycling old stars of the past. Even though Mousasi's track record dates back to PRIDE and the mid 2000s Western Europe MMA scene, he isn't a casual MMA fan's fighter like a Frank Mir or Fedor Emelianenko. They're familiar with those guys and not what Gegard Mousasi did on a Fight Night card. That's who Bellator is trying to go after even though it's proving futile.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So, will either of these dudes try to defend or are they just going to walk into the center of the cage and start throwing haymakers at each other?  The two fighters who care the least about defense are going to fight, and it is going to be glorious.  

Just now, supremebve said:

So, will either of these dudes try to defend or are they just going to walk into the center of the cage and start throwing haymakers at each other?  The two fighters who care the least about defense are going to fight, and it is going to be glorious.  

What's funny is...it looks like Kevin Lee and Alvarez both had offers to be coaches and according to Lee on Twitter, Eddie turned it down. Lee then challenged Gaethje to accept the coaching spot. Now it's magically Alvarez and Gaethje. I'm guessing they went to Alvarez and asked who he wanted to fight. 

Max Holloway is hinting at a possible doubleheader on the 11/4 MSG PPV of Holloway/Edgar and Garbrandt/Dillashaw. It may just be him fucking around, but Brett Okamoto doesn't seem to be denying that is what is in the works. Okamoto stated that Khabib wants to fight Ferguson on the MSG card as well.