DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think an argument can be made, but we'll see how this plays out.  But playing devil's advocate, should we really believe the old guard of fighters were all on the straight and narrow and not taking things they shouldn't?

That is used in baseball too, but personally I am not going to judge someone off assumptions. And while I am sure back in the 90s they were on stuff, the testing isn't new. I don't think most  people still rank the Shamrocks or Royces in the 'best fighter's ever' list simply because MMA was so different back then, anyone in UFC in 2017 could walk onto any early UFC card and beat everyone on the show back to back all night with energy to spare.

But I mean, even the likes of Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Hughes were using TRT for years.  TRT was allowed by the athletic commissions, but many still consider TRT a performance enhancer.  When you see the results with Vitor, it's hard to argue against that.

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

An article on  mmafighting mentioned Jon Jones as being one of the best fighters ever. After all these suspensions, can that really still be said? I don't doubt his natural ability and skill at all, but he is about to be stripped of a title for the third time in three years and only has three official wins since 2014. I think he could go down as the biggest wasted opportunity for sure, but even though he was dominating in UFC from 2009 to 2014 I don't think its enough to put him on that level, especially not knowing what drugs he was on (I don't believe he never did steroids in his life and suddenly did last summer). Not sure how he will be viewed in ten years, assuming either he is done now or when he does fight again he isn't at the elite level anymore if he gets a four year suspension.

I get where you're coming from, but Jon Jones is the best MMA fighter who has ever lived.  I don't think it is even close at this point.  He's only had one hard fight in his entire career.  His only loss was from kicking too much ass.  He's a terrible person, but he's absolutely the best MMA fighter we've ever seen.  

• Like 1

I don't see anyone who could beat Valentina through a few episodes so far of this season of TUF.

To be fair, it is a difficult environment to evaluate talent (we knew Rose would become a better fighter as time went on for example) and the finishes have been convincing. However, Valentina offers a very tough style matchup.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't see anyone who could beat Valentina through a few episodes so far of this season of TUF.

To be fair, it is a difficult environment to evaluate talent (we knew Rose would become a better fighter as time went on for example) and the finishes have been convincing. However, Valentina offers a very tough style matchup.

Isn't Roxanne Modaferri the #1 seed?

I haven't been following MMA closely aside  from RIZIN recently, but Modaferri was awful when I was following closely. She may have some of the worse stand up I've ever seen and her grappling was nothing special either.

Barb Honchak was also pretty good and just skimming through the list of fighters on the show, she seems like the best one imo.

Valentina beats both either way.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Isn't Roxanne Modaferri the #1 seed?

I haven't been following MMA closely aside  from RIZIN recently, but Modaferri was awful when I was following closely. She may have some of the worse stand up I've ever seen and her grappling was nothing special either.

Barb Honchak was also pretty good and just skimming through the list of fighters on the show, she seems like the best one imo.

Valentina beats both either way.

I don't know if she should be the number 1 seed, but she is way better since moving to Las Vegas and training with John Wood and Syndicate MMA. Her standup is still nothing to write home about, but on the ground she seems to be more well versed than in the past. It just isn't random stuff to score points. If she gets your back or gets an advantageous position on top, she's working to finish. On the show, she seems to be very realistic that she was bad in those areas (FWIW she even said she was awful on the 1st or 2nd episode of this season) and that's why her run on the previous season of TUF she was on didn't go well. 

I'm not saying I got her to win the show and ultimately be the first champion, but her being in the finals is certainly not out of the realm of the possibility. She's still not a great athlete, but I would lying if I said leaving Japan and training stateside didn't help her immensely. At the very worst, if she ends up on the roster, she will be a high level gatekeeper. That's a better outlook than what would have happened had she stayed in Japan and stayed on roster for awhile after the bantamweight TUF season. She would have got murked going against a Germaine de Randamie or a Cat Zingano because her game was still early WMMA/ NHB years level.

On 9/14/2017 at 5:01 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if she should be the number 1 seed, but she is way better since moving to Las Vegas and training with John Wood and Syndicate MMA. Her standup is still nothing to write home about, but on the ground she seems to be more well versed than in the past. It just isn't random stuff to score points. If she gets your back or gets an advantageous position on top, she's working to finish. On the show, she seems to be very realistic that she was bad in those areas (FWIW she even said she was awful on the 1st or 2nd episode of this season) and that's why her run on the previous season of TUF she was on didn't go well. 

I'm not saying I got her to win the show and ultimately be the first champion, but her being in the finals is certainly not out of the realm of the possibility. She's still not a great athlete, but I would lying if I said leaving Japan and training stateside didn't help her immensely. At the very worst, if she ends up on the roster, she will be a high level gatekeeper. That's a better outlook than what would have happened had she stayed in Japan and stayed on roster for awhile after the bantamweight TUF season. She would have got murked going against a Germaine de Randamie or a Cat Zingano because her game was still early WMMA/ NHB years level.

From what I understood, she had never had an actual full training camp until coming to Syndicate.