DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

On 8/9/2017 at 4:10 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

The bout agreements for Bisping vs. GSP have been signed so that is officially the main event of UFC 217.

As a result, that pretty much pushes a potential Cyborg vs. Holm fight to UFC 219 because Cyborg doesn't want to share Jason Parillo doing double duty cornering Bisping. So if there is a third title fight slotted for that show, it's probably going to be Joanna vs. Rose or maybe Ferguson/Khabib for an interim LW title.

Update: The interim LW title fight is actually Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee at UFC 216 in Vegas. Khabib isn't ready yet coming off surgery.

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Diego Sanchez vs. Matt Brown has been added to the Fight Night card in Norfolk.

I will probably be attending this card if the tickets aren't too crazy.  The fight is on the 11th and my  birthday is on the 10th.  I will be in Williamsburg that weekend for some dumb time share meeting thing.

Hey, it was a three night stay on the house and all I had to do was listen to some schpiel I was going to say no to anyway.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This gap between shows feels like an eternity for current day UFC, when was the last time four weeks passed between events? Then they have four events in September?

Sat the 19th was to be a PPV but those plans got nixed in June. 

Next Friday does have a Bellator show on Free TV. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This gap between shows feels like an eternity for current day UFC, when was the last time four weeks passed between events? Then they have four events in September?

The answer would be the gap between Hunt vs. Mir and Rothwell vs. JDS last year. Then, they had four straight weeks of fight cards including that show.

Sakakibara tweeted this poster yesterday for the upcoming RIZIN event in October:

DHe_c7iUwAAP1GY.jpg:large

They also announced some more fights. Miyuu Yamamoto vs. Irene Rivera AKA Irene Cabello from Spain, Alyssa Garcia (she fought at one of the past events where she beat Kanna Asakura) vs. Maria Oliveira Mota and the winner of the upcoming fight between Saori Ishioka/Kanna Asakura at DEEP JEWELS 17 will vs. Sylwia Juśkiewicz in the women's super atomweight tournament.

Plus Shintaro Ishiwatari vs. Akhmed Musakaev and Erson Yamamoto vs. Manel Kape in the bantamweight tournament.

For those of you unaware, Miyuu Yamamoto is KID Yamamoto's older sister who has a background in wrestling and has fought on a couple of past RIZIN events and Erson Yamamoto is her son and KID Yamamoto's nephew who's also fought in RIZIN and most recently in KOTC.

According to RIZIN Tatsuya Kawajiri, Tenshin Nasukawa and Shinju Nozawa Auclair will also be fighting on this card.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:47 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Materla is a big pickup for the local audience.

Looks like Materla decided to stay in KSW. Marreta is now facing Jack Hermansson on the Machida vs. Brunson card in Sao Paulo.