DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

UFC 215 cancellation is more proof the UFC needs to start cutting shows.  They don't have enough quality fighters to fill these cards and they definitely don't have enough PPV draws.  I'm not saying cut them in half, but cut two PPVs off the schedule.  Cut like 10 Fight Night events. Good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

UFC 215 cancellation is more proof the UFC needs to start cutting shows.  They don't have enough quality fighters to fill these cards and they definitely don't have enough PPV draws.  I'm not saying cut them in half, but cut two PPVs off the schedule.  Cut like 10 Fight Night events. Good.

Well, UFC 215 (the Seattle one, not the Edmonton one that's now 215) was cancelled because Mayweather/McGregor was the week after. They're probably going to add a PPV (or a Fight Night) somewhere after that in the fall/winter to make up for that.

Anyway, the new UFC 215 has JDS/Ngannou and Tyson Pedro vs. Illir Latifi.

Also, due to a minor injury, Cerrone vs. Lawler is likely to moved to UFC 214. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, UFC 215 (the Seattle one, not the Edmonton one that's now 215) was cancelled because Mayweather/McGregor was the week after. They're probably going to add a PPV (or a Fight Night) somewhere after that in the fall/winter to make up for that.

Anyway, the new UFC 215 has JDS/Ngannou and Tyson Pedro vs. Illir Latifi.

Also, due to a minor injury, Cerrone vs. Lawler is likely to moved to UFC 214. 

The roster and what stars they do have been spread fairly thin.  They can stand to cut some events to give them some breathing room while they create new draws.  They can't afford another 2014. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The roster and what stars they do have been spread fairly thin.  They can stand to cut some events to give them some breathing room while they create new draws.  They can't afford another 2014. 

I don't even really disagree with you, but a lot of it is contractual obligations. Best scenario is all the fights that they were planning for Seattle go to Edmonton and a card to be named later. However, the end result of that is the fights (not including fights with locals and those from close by obviously) that were planned for Edmonton and the other show need to go somewhere. So it's probably going to be a weird looking card after those shows where you get some notable fights actually intended for that card up top and a bunch of mismatch stuff on the prelims. That's happened on a few occasions over the last 3 or 4 years.

Also, with UFC 214, getting a piece of Mayweather vs. McGregor, and perhaps a McGregor fight in December, it certainly won't be as bad as 2014. Not a great year by any means (compared to 15 and 16), but certainly better than 2014 if all that pans out. 

Cerrone vs. Lawler is pretty much off altogether. Dana says Cerrone has several injuries as well as a staph infection. Looks like the infection is the true dealbreaker based on Cerrone's IG post.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Randa Markos vs. Alexa Grasso has been added to the UFC Fight Night 114 card in Mexico City. That's is a pretty good fight.

I knew Grasso would be added to the show hopefully it is either on the main show or is the featured prelim. It's a great fight and it will be interesting to see how Grasso responds after the loss.

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That fight came together rather quickly for Woodley Maia.  Is that enough time to have a training camp?

Woodley was already training. Maia had to know they were going to make this fight sooner rather than later. 

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Woodley was already training. Maia had to know they were going to make this fight sooner rather than later. 

Not only that, it isn't like we Demian Maia doesn't have a greater understanding of what he needs to do in a fight than anyone else in MMA.  Put him in the cage against anyone in the world, and he's going to try to get him to the ground and work his crazy submission game.  Who he fights, what they do, and when it happens doesn't really matter, all that matters is whether or not he can get his opponent to the ground.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I knew Grasso would be added to the show hopefully it is either on the main show or is the featured prelim. It's a great fight and it will be interesting to see how Grasso responds after the loss.

If Moreno vs. Pettis is the main event, I can't imagine that being something other than the co-main or third from the top at the very least.

Also, speaking of women's MMA, I saw that Cyborg was training with Claressa Shields earlier this week. Shields was still landing more than Cyborg obviously, but for someone who comes from Muay Thai, Cyborg held her own. I think it also speaks to her improvement in terms of boxing acumen. The Storm Samurai/Elite XC era Cristiane Cyborg would have gotten washed by someone like Claressa Shields.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Randa Markos vs. Alexa Grasso has been added to the UFC Fight Night 114 card in Mexico City. That's a pretty good fight.

Another fight with two of my favs makes for a tough choice, should be an awesome one.

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Yeah her boxing has got so much better. I hope Cyborg knocks out Evinger as brutally as possible.

I'm not the biggest Tonya Evinger, but I thought Meltzer's rant on today's edition of WOR was way, way off base. I know he doesn't like Cyborg, but Evinger is way more of a credible opponent for Cyborg than Anderson if we're just going purely off resume. Anderson just came on the scene recently. Evinger for all her faults has beaten everyone put in front in her for a much longer period of time and in more impressive fashion. Moreover, making it seem like the UFC not want signing her makes it seem worse lacks any type of context. First off, if I'm Shannon Knapp, I would be happy there was at least someone decent who the UFC wasn't gonna poach immediately. In addition, everyone (including Evinger who just stated the same thing herself) knew this was the fight she had to take to get into the UFC. Tonya isn't like some prospect. Why would she want to take a fight/the UFC make a fight that could be done on your run-of-the-mill Invicta card? Evinger fighting on the biggest MMA card of the year so far provides more upside than fighting some unknown newcomer in Kansas City with little media attention to show for it. Evinger to her credit isn't gonna fall right off the bat and will tough it out for awhile (relative to how long Cyborg opponents usually last). Whether it's right or not, she will her gain more fans from showing heart and toughness against Cyborg in the UFC than she will dominating women who are up and coming or are just middle of the road fighters. And damnit if she wins, she can say she became the linear Strikeforce featherweight champion, linear Invicta featherweight champion, and the UFC women's featherweight champion all in one night. That's way more than I thought she would do in her career prior to her Invicta run.

• Like 2

Nice to see that on the penultimate TUF, eliminated guys were trying the old TUF angle of getting into personal beef with other eliminated guys, hoping for a grudge match on the finale. But they don't really do that any more. And they were trying to build intrigue for next week as to who's actually in the last semi-final spot, and then 

Spoiler

showing Jesse Taylor warming up in the red team dressing room,which he wouldn't be doing if his opponent was from the red team.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Nice to see that on the penultimate TUF, eliminated guys were trying the old TUF angle of getting into personal beef with other eliminated guys, hoping for a grudge match on the finale. But they don't really do that any more. And they were trying to build intrigue for next week as to who's actually in the last semi-final spot, and then 

Reveal hidden contents

showing Jesse Taylor warming up in the red team dressing room,which he wouldn't be doing if his opponent was from the red team.

To replace Krause? I mean who on Team Garbrandt deserves that spot? It would have to be someone from Dillashaw's team anyway.

55 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

No Dana gave Cody the choice if Krause isn't cleared.

I don't think it's that big of a spoiler because his options ain't that great. There isn't a ton of suspense for if James Krause is healthy or not.

Now that the UFC have announced a Shogun/OSP rematch for the main event of the upcoming Japan card, it made me think about how former champion Shogun's current 3-fight win streak is the longest he's ever had with the company. So I looked up how many other former champs have an equal or lesser "longest UFC win streak". Turns out that number isn't weird at all.

1 Win - Carlos Newton, Carla Esparza (active, previous high of 4 with TUF)

2 Wins - Bas Rutten , Maurice Smith (completely forgot he went into the Coleman fight at 5-7), Murilo Bustamante, David Menne, Matt Serra (4 with TUF)
3 Wins - Vitor Belfort, Rampage Jackson, Forrest Griffin (5 with TUF), BJ Penn (!), Tyron Woodley, Sean Sherk, Eddie Alvarez, Holly Holm, Germaine de Randamie (active)