DVDVR Message Board

2017 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

She sure loads up on that superkick, hah.

Man, it's going to tell us a lot about the potential of having a Chinese star because I don't see any of the male divisions producing one anytime soon at least. The guy they signed who was suppose to fight Caceres months back but got hurt is decent from clips but most of that was from kickboxing matches.

Curran at this point is just an established gatekeeper who gives you plenty of opportunity to win a fight. I don't think Mazany is much higher than that either. If you can't look decent against them and you're suppose to be the best of the bunch, then I don't have high hopes for you against the levels past that. At least some of the Mexican and Latin American fighters from the TUF LATAM got past a good number of the walkovers. We got Yair Rodriguez and a few other fighters who are solid, respectable given how they came through the ranks. I feel like 115 & women's 125 are the best hopes for finding a Chinese superstar or worst case scenario high level prospect. This Shanghai card is going to be a real litmus test.

Those three last fights you linked to are all great. I am scared for the 'Reem for the first time in his career. He's been in with numerous better fighters but nothing scary like this. This is Ngannou's big shot. 

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Those three last fights you linked to are all great. I am scared for the 'Reem for the first time in his career. He's been in with numerous better fighters but nothing scary like this. This is Ngannou's big shot. 

For some reason, I think I might have favored Ngannou over JDS without a second thought moreso than Overeem. And it's not even because of MMA math. Ngannou catching JDS on the descent along with the formula for beating JDS being clearer are the primary reasons. I just never know with Overeem. He could be on the verge of winning a UFC title like last September or he could get tagged a few times and blow away like a leaf in the autumn wind. Whether it's the PEDs or not, he has somehow escaped the notion of fighters being in their prime and past their prime at a certain career point and still perform at a more than adequate level to beat the best heavyweights. Hell, I even think not being at 1980s WWF midcarder levels of juiced up has served him better because he isn't really gassed (in the cardio sense) all to hell after five minutes. I know that it is the HW division, but that is still incredible and it's hard to get an accurate assessment of this type of fight. Overeem can still land some knees and kicks to the body and get someone hurt and finish from there or he can lay back and make it a cat-and-mouse game especially if it's only three rounds. We don't have to go back very far to see Overeem winning on some scoring hocus pocus shit. Ngannou has been able to dictate from the first second of the fight til the very end of a fight for most of his UFC fights. If he is a frontrunner, Overeem has the skills to expose that. Overeem can also get drilled in the face and just take the hype of Ngannou to the whole different level. So there is that.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 7:20 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria has added as a late addition to UFC 216.

Was excited for this, super quick turnaround for Lee and awesome to see her make it to UFC, then she got pulled out quick for not being in the testing pool.

39 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Was excited for this, super quick turnaround for Lee and awesome to see her make it to UFC, then she got pulled out quick for not being in the testing pool.

I was gonna ask why would she need to be in there and then I just remembered she had a positive test before.

• Like 1