DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure I'll get flashbacks to La Sexorcisto by White Zombie when I watch it

Seriously.  All I kept hearing was, "I never TRY anything.  I just DO IT.  Wanna try me?"

I saw Zombie in concert two years ago.  He was amazing.  Started the show chiding the crowd, telling them all to put their fucking phones away and just enjoy the show.

I like how JT is yelling at me when I said I "rewatched" Spirited Away and have most of the rest checked off my list

Meanwhile he hasn't seen fucking Totoro

• Like 2

I'm not anti-Totoro, certainly, but three Miyazaki movies made my list and it wasn't one of them. The moments of wonder are wonderful but they're sure few and far between. On some level they're made all the more so due to how subdued the rest of it is and it's probably a better crafted, more powerful movie because of that, but it's a real slog. I tend to think Spirited Away is the best because I think the message and the character arc is balanced with severe amounts of imagination better than in any of his other movies. That said, i still didn't rate that highest, because such logic can't get in the way of my severe love for Castle of Cagliostro. 

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I like how JT is yelling at me when I said I "rewatched" Spirited Away and have most of the rest checked off my list

Meanwhile he hasn't seen fucking Totoro

I have seen Totoro dozens of times so I didn't feel the need to revisit it.  It is a great movie, but Spirited Away is Miyazaki's best IMO, which is why it made my GOAT ballot.

My kid still has a Catbus plushie in her room that I got her when I was in Japan on business.

I got through Akira, Snow White, The Incredibles, Inside Out, Anomalisa (ugh), Chico & Rita, and Persepolis over MLK weekend while researching animated features for my GOAT ballot.

I'm weird, I know, but I think Spirited Away is really near the bottom of Miyazaki's films for me. It doesn't have nearly the same impact on me as most of his work.

Totoro is a top five animated film ever in my book though. Maybe top three.

You're not alone and you're not weird.  Spirited Away aired out quite a bit of Japan's societal dirty laundry. 

It is considered to be a national treasure (it is still one of the highest grossing movie in Japanese history), but most Japanese politely avoid open discussions of Miyazaki's cultural criticisms and prefer to treat the movie as Japan's answer to Alice In Wonderland..

It receives a grudging admiration and society as a whole is still in a state of denial when it comes to Spirited Away's central themes.  Most of my Japanese friends are far more fond of Mononoke-Hime than they are of Spirited Away.

In a recent poll of movie critics worldwide, Spirited Away ranked 4th in their list of GOAT movies.

Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! was the best. Russ Meyer trying to reign himself in in black and white was a little weird, but it worked because Tura Satana and Haji are forces of nature. Good lord. The underlying lesbian subtext between the two was pretty ahead of its time. Of course I will now be mumbling "Get in" and "Let's go through the back door" all night now at work.  

Take in mind, when I'm saying "reign himself in", the Russ Meyer work I'm most familiar with is Up!

• Like 2

So I was going to rewatch 2001 for the GOAT poll since I honestly don't remember if I have seen it from start to finish.

Turns out I took out 2010 from the library. Whoops!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Control said:

Why don't people discuss John Huston more when the topic is great directors? 

I dunno.  Maybe some people are still trying to recover from Pink Flamingos?

It's hard to be empirical with directors you're not "into," I suppose. 

I have night duty and am working on only four hours of sleep.

I am also old.

As for John HOUSTON, I have no idea who would not consider him to be a GOAT director since his very first assignment was the GOAT movie candidate, The Maltese Falcon.

Houston should get even more creds since two prior treatments of The Maltese Falcon by Warner Brothers were box office disasters and Houston knocked it out of the park with his adaptation.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I forgive you. I did a year of third shift and quit in complete panic one night, no showed and shut off my phone for a week. And I had a week of paid vacation coming up too. That's life

Being a bit tired and still having to be keenly alert is not easy.  It also does not help that hot like lava Nelly Furtado is on the Seth Meyer's Late Show shaking her ass.  Distractions...

Thank goodness my mental gaffe was board related and not task related.  The coffee is doing its work and Soldiers are receiving their proper training.