DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I agree with the sentiments about the Die Hard franchise but hot damn Die Hard with a Vengeance will never not be tons of fun for me.  I've watched it countless times and I still love it.

Speaking of remakes earlier in the thread, one remake I would not mind seeing would be Backdraft.  We need a firefighter movie.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, Ace said:

Saw Hidden Figures this weekend at my new favorite theatre (It's got recliners!). Everybody in this movie is on point. Janelle Monae's gonna have the crossover career Whitney Houston wishes she had.

Saw if over MLK weekend and it was tremendous.  I am digging the new trend with Fences to put out Black feel good movies with substance rather than the money grab romantic comedies and family drama that show up on Aspire and Centric

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree with the sentiments about the Die Hard franchise but hot damn Die Hard with a Vengeance will never not be tons of fun for me.  I've watched it countless times and I still love it.

Speaking of remakes earlier in the thread, one remake I would not mind seeing would be Backdraft.  We need a firefighter movie.

The franchise doesn't go downhill until the last two turds. Vengance is pretty damn good.

Die Hard With A Vengeance was all about Sam Jackson.  The buddy chemistry between Zeus and John was really good, but the BBEG's dastardly plot was kinda dumb.

Live Free or Die Hard had a king sized Timothy Olyphaunt chewing on scenery as a king sized villain but he was saddled with a laughable plot laden with ridiculous and unrealistic actions scenes. 

We will not speak of the shit burger that was A Good Day To Die Hard.

None of those movies had the thing that made the first two movies exceptional aka John McClane as enraged husband going to fucking war because some asshole was stupid enough to put his wife's safety on the line. 

Truth be told, the implosion of Holly and John's marriage being a footnote in the plot of Vengeance is one of the reasons the movie does not sit well with me.

I will defend the absurd and complex plot of Vengeance always. Yes, it's totally ridiculous and nigh-impossible to pull off, but it's so damn entertaining. Plus it's set up and enacted by Jeremy fuckin' Irons! 

I just realized in writing that that Vengeance is basically my favorite spot-fest movie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Austin said:

You even had the crazy lady who was like Karl from the first movie, I don't know why but I liked it when she just went off on that poor security guard when Irons had to stop her and say. "I believe he's already dead" out something like that

I always assumed she was the sister of Karl and his brother with the ponytail. Vengeance is fun but it sorta drags on and I never liked the death via helicopter and power line finish.

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't agree with any argument that puts Die Harder above Vengeance.

It is arguably the second best movie of the franchise and one of the better sequels ever made, but the clumsy manner in which John and Holly's marriage is conveniently data dumped from the universe really felt wrong.

The ending also really blew goats.  The ending for Vengeance sucks even more than the deus ex machina / let's wrap this up folks destruction of the getaway plane in Die Harder that was only enjoyable because Col. Stuart was awesomely callous (Admit it to yourself..  Your eyes were burning when he deliberately crashed that passenger plane..) and Stuart needed to die as violently as possible.

Katya was stellar and she deserved a much better action movie demise than convenient death via helicopter crash created by the most improbable marksmanship ever.

Mai Lihn and Thomas Gabriel in Live Free got better movie deaths than Katya and Simon Gruber got in Vengeance.  That does not satisfy my sense of proportion.

Trivia question I just saw: What movies hold the record for the shortest amount of time between the release of a movie and its sequel?

Hint: They're both from 2003

The Matrix Reloaded (May 15 2003) and The Matrix Revolutions (November 5 2003)

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

(Admit it to yourself..  Your eyes were burning when he deliberately crashed that passenger plane..) 

I have very, very rarely been truly stunned by a movie but that scene did it for me.  Truly shocked that they went there.  You could've heard a pin dropping on a mound of cotton in my theater.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Trivia question I just saw: What movies hold the record for the shortest amount of time between the release of a movie and its sequel?

Hide contents

Hide contents

My best guess

Gojira November 3, 1954 Gigantis the Fire Monster April 24, 1955

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You could argue that the correct answer is Che

Wouldn't that fall into the category of something like 1900? It's a two part film. And if you do count it, I would like to add Mesrine.

Saw Scorsese's Silence tonight. Interesting, cant say i really enjoyed it and i thought it had flaws at its core. And it really did not need to be 2-3/4 hours long. I need to research on if i had seen some of the japanese actors before. Thought the Inquisidor and the Translator were good. Garfield and Driver, not so much. 

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM, RIPPA said:

Guys... Guys... Guys...

The Raid: Redemption is really fucking good

Hell yeah it is!

Has a heel ever been built up that well for a fight in cinema history? Its a 2 on 1 in favour of the faces and they still feel like the underdogs.

They even give him a finishing move to help build the tension in the fight!

Also a man gets thrown off a balcony and you assume he will fall to his death but instead he lands SPINE FIRST ON THE RAILING ACROSS THE HALL!

Holy hell do I remember screaming at the awesomeness of this film.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Damn, I would've said Breakin' and Breakin' 2, but the Matrix beats them by a month.

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

I have very, very rarely been truly stunned by a movie but that scene did it for me.  Truly shocked that they went there.  You could've heard a pin dropping on a mound of cotton in my theater.

There were people in my theater that were in tears when McClane picked up the charred remains of the doll from the wreckage of the airplane. 

I was also surprised that the movie went there, but you can't deny that the scene was very effective in establishing Stuart as an antagonist that was serious and I was surprised how much I wanted vcatharsis and poetic justice by the end of the movie.. 

Despite all that Hans Gruber had done, I was sorta hoping that John would be able arrest Hans.  After all John is a cop and it'd have been nice for the action movie policeman hero to bring the bad guy in alive for a change.

That was not the case in Die Hard 2.  I really really really wanted Col. Stuart to die as violently as possible.

• Like 1