DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you want to watch it and you are sans premium cable, head over to a friend's house who has HBO.  It debuted last Saturday and is on heavy rotation.

Oh sweet I have HBO

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is it on Netflix or Hulu yet? I'm guessing the HBO GO thing probably cancels both of those out but I'm hanging with a friend after work tomorrow and that might be an idea for something to watch after we're well in our cups. Or if it's still available at Redbox, that too

HBO GO confirmed.

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is it on Netflix or Hulu yet? I'm guessing the HBO GO thing probably cancels both of those out but I'm hanging with a friend after work tomorrow and that might be an idea for something to watch after we're well in our cups. Or if it's still available at Redbox, that too

Most local libraries have become a good source for films in recent years. That's how I finally saw Nice Guys after never getting around to watching the Red Box rental when it released.

My library is fucking amazing more most new movies (especially if it is a Drama since that is what the old folks love)

Of course I have learned before that I am lucking in that I live in a county that supports its libraries

Our local libraries rule (of course -- college town) but since I live in the sticks and my card has long lapsed I can't check anything out. There has to be some kind of county loophole that I haven't discovered yet. 

I think the last time I was in the library I just sat down and read the entire last Jericho book in one sitting. 

Champaign's library sucks ass because they force people in outlying towns to pay an amount equal to the property tax assessment that Champaign citizens pay for the library based upon the value of their house in order to get a library card.

How much is that, roughly?  Like... more or less than $50?

I read that too quickly the first time through and thought it was straight up "they have to pay an amount equal to the Champaign property tax on the value of their house".

Thanks Mike, I knew there was some kind of money issue involved. It has to be the same for Urbana which is where I was always registered anyway. A couple years ago I just lied to the librarian to get my card renewed but I'm an awful liar and it has been way too many years for them not to get suspicious now.

I also live on the corner of Champaign, Vermilion, and Douglas Counties in any direction so who knows. I'll have to look this up

EDIT: Looks like Mike is right about Urbana (which is connected to Champaign, a la the Twin Cities). What the charge would be I have no idea, and I don't really mind paying it if it's not ridiculous, but c'mon. 

For a person with a $150,000 house it comes to about $250/year.  Additionally, even if you RENT a house, or a room in a house you have to pay the full amount, and need to get the property value assessment from your landlord.

4 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

They started charging it because the UI coaches wives got all pissy because "the poors" from surrounding towns were checking out all the children's books.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The concept of having to pay for a library card is baffling to me

But I am assuming the answer to that is "Welcome to Illinois"

jiFfM.jpg

• Like 1

Those U of I coaches' wives don't mind paying Lovey Smith a million dollars to lose games and spend more than that on a new high school football field, yet Urbana can't even sign up proper paperwork for its high school women's basketball team and they get a single loss season completely disqualified, fucking up the future of girls that have Duke looking at them. Meanwhile I have to pay $250 for a fucking library card because I live 30 miles away. Priorities! 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic