DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

Soon as I saw the specs I knew that would be an issue, and compared to other systems it does seem like an odd decision. Since it is a handheld having a hard drive in it would be a bad idea but they could have at least put 64 GB flash. I don't play digital games but I'll probably buy a microSDXC card just in case I need it.

23 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

(I meant 3DS, not DS, if that changes your stance related to the cost since I wouldn't get something with that small a screen)

The 3DS line-up is... alright, better on the high-end but lacking the depth of either the DS or GBA.  It also, as you noted, costs more.  I'd put the gba/DS library against just about anything that isn't the combined PS1/PS2 library you could play on a PS2, it's basically a never-ending hole full of neat games.  I don't think any of the current/coming consoles are gonna touch it in that regard.

i preordered the Switch and the LE of Zelda, but i'm probably going to cancel in a few days. i preordered to give myself time to mull it over (in case everywhere sold out immediately) but it just hasn't shown me that it's going to be up my alley. i'll give it a couple years and see what happens (or at least until Mario Odyssey comes out)

Aw.  They are not mentioning the best thing about Breath of the Wild.

It will have multiple voice over tracks (ie. you can opt for the native Japanese voice work with English subtitles instead of English as the primary language) and Nintendo may make this a requirement of all games that are developed for Switch.

US PS4 and XB1 players would probably explode with glee if FFXV had been developed that way..

I hardly play games now, I own a PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 but kept my eyes on the reveals of this generation of consoles. This is my least favourite of the three for the price of everything particularly and the launch titles. This doesn't come with a game like Wii with the Wii Sports right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I hardly play games now, I own a PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 but kept my eyes on the reveals of this generation of consoles. This is my least favourite of the three for the price of everything particularly and the launch titles. This doesn't come with a game like Wii with the Wii Sports right?

As far as I know no pack in game, sounds like 1,2 Switch should be it, but alas it's not. I'm like you, I hardly play games, but have kept a relative close eye on the reveals. Part of me really wants to get back in, but the financials of it all as well as time prevent me from jumping in the deep end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Austin said:

As far as I know no pack in game, sounds like 1,2 Switch should be it, but alas it's not. I'm like you, I hardly play games, but have kept a relative close eye on the reveals. Part of me really wants to get back in, but the financials of it all as well as time prevent me from jumping in the deep end.

All well put. Thanks.

On 1/13/2017 at 7:37 PM, BL88 said:

like i've said elsewhere, the rule is 5 games before I buy a system. I am conditionally at 3: Mario, Splatoon, and depending on how it works out, I might get into that Ultra Street Fighter 2 thing once it's out and a known quantity. also I sort of figured there'd be weird motion stuff in the control, because Nintendo learns lessons weirdly.

That's a good rule, and one I think I'm at or near right now (Mario Kart, Odyssey, Splatoon, USF2, No More Heroes 3, and MOTHERFUCKING BOMBERMAN all look appealing to me). I was skeptical at first, but as a Suda51 fanboy I'm pretty sure Travis Touchdown just sold this to me.

As a heads up on Bomberman, multiple hands on reports say that it is very hard to play in tablet mode as the screen is just too small for the playfield size they went with.  If you are just gonna play on the tv then go nuts, but it was one of the announced games that seemed best suited for the "bunch of people gathering around the tablet" mode and apparently that just is not the case at all.

Since The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ randomly got announced as a Launch title, I guess I am going to finally dive into it. I've heard it recommended as a quality game for a long time but never got around to trying it out, seems as good a time as any. Although judging from Steam reviews it will have a nice sized Day 1 patch, which doesn't matter since I am playing the hell out of Zelda first anyway.

Reggie in one of God knows how many interviews he is doing dropping a teaser about possibly doing Mother 3 and/or Metroid for the Switch is really really mean if then nothing is announced one way or the other for a year. Nintendo being unwilling to capitalize on their own valuable IPs is one of the more mind boggling things about them, and that says a lot. People would lose their shit for a good Metroid game and they know it.

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Reggie in one of God knows how many interviews he is doing dropping a teaser about possibly doing Mother 3 

one time a military recruiter tried to convince a teenage me that if I joined the army, I could learn how to pro wrestle in the exclusive army wrestling league, but i'd only learn about it after i joined.

this is a more likely truth than "We're bring Mother 3 to the US." It's never going to happen. It's never going to happen. You know what's never going to happen? That. Mother 3 is a disturbing game that looks like a perfect cartoon, and Nintendo is not going to take a risk like that. There are ways to go play Mother 3 in English if you google well enough. Go do that.

(also do that because it's fucking excellent and everyone who likes RPGs- or the idea of a video game having a story- should play Mother 3. don't buy a Switch thinking "maybe!!!")

It's really funny, that with all the stuff Nintendo did right to resurrect the console market after the crash, that they've made so many boneheaded moves in the last few generations.  Almost as boneheaded as Atari, but not quite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

The only problem with articles like those is 1. most are completely optional and 2. most of those aren't "hidden" costs.  I don't think having to buy games and an extra controller is a "hidden" cost, I think anyone that has ever purchased a video game console is aware that they have to spend money to play games and have to spend money on a second controller. Spending $150 on extra controllers is certainly optional and certainly not hidden.

The only thing on that list I am buying that could be seen as a 'hidden cost' is the charging grip. Other than that, I am just spending money on games. Speaking of which, I did a quick count and it looks like seven games are coming out this year I will either buy or be tempted to buy and have to talk myself out of: Zelda, Binding of Isaac, Mario Kart, Disgaea 5, Sonic Mania, Mario, and Xenoblade 2. As someone that already owns a PS4 and XBox One, no complaints from me yet. But 2018 needs to have either a release or an announcement for Metroid/Brawl/Pokemon game to keep the ball rolling.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Speaking of which, I did a quick count and it looks like seven games are coming out this year I will either buy or be tempted to buy and have to talk myself out of: Zelda, Binding of Isaac, Mario Kart, Disgaea 5, Sonic Mania, Mario, and Xenoblade 2. As someone that already owns a PS4 and XBox One, no complaints from me yet. But 2018 needs to have either a release or an announcement for Metroid/Brawl/Pokemon game to keep the ball rolling.

I mean... I'm sure you see the obvious thing that sticks out.  If you are that intrigued there's really no reason to wait, heck Disgaea 5 even has a free demo.

I think Nintendo will bother to bring over Mother 3 at some point only because if they don't I then have no clue why they bothered bringing over Mother 1.  As far as Metroid goes... I played Other M.  Perhaps we are better of without.

50 minutes ago, username said:

I mean... I'm sure you see the obvious thing that sticks out.  If you are that intrigued there's really no reason to wait, heck Disgaea 5 even has a free demo.

I think Nintendo will bother to bring over Mother 3 at some point only because if they don't I then have no clue why they bothered bringing over Mother 1.  As far as Metroid goes... I played Other M.  Perhaps we are better of without.

If you mean it is obvious that I can't bring my PS4 or XBox One to work but I can bring my Switch to work, then I guess it is ;) The Switch has a different function for me than the other systems, I don't expect Nintendo to get some of the big third party games so I'll still get those on PS4/One. But any AAA title I want to play that comes out on all three, I'll likely get it on the Switch for its dual capabilities.

Probably the last... big announcement they could make in the next five weeks is about the Virtual Console. It could either be really good (more games, not starting from scratch, tying accounts together, and of course allowing for SNES/Wii games to be played on the road), or really bad (starting all over, still not tied to previous accounts, just a couple random games a week). Naturally The Internet is assuming the 'bad' which is understandable considering the VC has never been good. And I can't decide if the fact they have been so tight lipped about it is a good thing or a bad thing. Either they aren't saying anything because they know it will piss off everyone, or they aren't saying anything because they plan on having a Nintendo Direct about it to try to excite people before launch.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

It looks like outside of FIFA,  EA probably won't be supporting the Switch unless it posts huge numbers.  I'm okay with this.  I don't buy Nintendo for 3rd party gaming usually. I need more 1st party drops.

I agree with you in general as I am sure they are doing the 'wait and see' approach which is why more hasn't been announced, I just wonder what publisher's 'number' is for sold consoles before its worth porting. Since the Switch apparently isn't as hard to port over for as the Wii and Wii U since it supports Unreal Engine 4/similar engines, in theory it wouldn't require as many units sold for it to be worth the trouble of porting. And how long do they wait, as I don't think we will know for sure about the Switch's success until the holiday with Mario coming out and probably Black Friday bundles. Unfortunately after having two oddball systems in regards to functionality, most companies are just waiting to see what happens, creating that loop of consoles potentially not being sold due to catalog -> publisher's not making games due to consoles sold -> etc. I would think they would have already had to decide for Madden one way or the other since it comes out five months after launch, which doesn't bode well for it this year.