DVDVR Message Board

TNA Bound for Glory 2016 - 10/2/16

The Great War! definitely deilvered and was super fun to watch. The ending definitely felt like a proper blowoff to an epic rivalry. All that was missing was Senor Benjamin who I thought would interfere at some point in the outside chaos. Great appearances from Vanguard 1, the trucker, and the lake of reincarnation getting involved. Cracked up at Matt clubbing Abyss while saying "Delete!" with each strike, then Abyss takes control and says "Death!" with his strikes. Busting out some old Hardys double teams ruled too. This was as wild as it should've been for sure. Love Rosemary, Decay, the Hardys. Broken Matt & Brother Nero forever! Fantastic.

Really liked the main event as well. Great stuff throughout from the opening bell. Lashley is the man. Glad he retained the title and the finish was super killer, awesome looking move. EC3 looked super strong taking all the spears so the flying spear was perfect. Guessing Lashley will move on to feuding with Moose next which should have a great build too. Awesome match this was.

Thought CODY came off like a mega star in his debut. Digging the theme music. He & Brandi vs. Bennett & Maria should be a fun feud. Gail/Maria was another proper blowoff as expected, good finish for an 8 month build to Gail's revenge. Gail's induction was a cool, loved seeing Taryn Terrell appear along with Kong & Christy.

Moose/Bennett was pretty good if a little shorter but really went as it should've, both guys looked good. Rex/Edwards was ok with an obvious outcome, I would've preferred Galloway interfering here but I look forward to his eventual return. Bound for Gold lacked the fun of last year's but the right guy won and it was enjoyable enough. Eli Drake rules, always glad to see Jessie Godderz get some shine and I still dig Tyrus. DJ Z/Trevor Lee was a very solid opener as well, some great spots. I always pop for the reverse frankensteiner and Lee constantly avoiding the ZDT until the end was good work. Overall a solid show with an awesome top 2 matches for sure.

Full results:

*DJ Z def. Trevor Lee (11:16) after the ZDT to retain the X Division Championship

*Eli Drake won the Bound for Gold Gauntlet (15:26) to win a future title shot, last eliminating Tyrus & Jessie Godderz together. Also included in the match were Robbie E, Braxton Sutter, Rockstar Spud, Grado, Mahabali Shera, & The Tribunal

*Moose def. Mike Bennett (9:50) after the Gamebreaker

*Aron Rex def. Eddie Edwards (15:00) via 3 round split decision to become the first Impact Grand Champion

*Gail Kim was inducted in to the TNA Hall of Fame, including brief speeches from Christy Hemme, Taryn Terrell, Awesome Kong, & Dixie Carter.

*Broken Matt Hardy & Brother Nero (w/ Reby) def. Decay (22:33) when Brother Nero pinned Crazzy Steve after a Swanton Bomb off a ladder through two tables after Matt gave Nero the OK to indulge his addiction for one night, to become the NEW TNA World Tag Team Champions in The Great War.

*Gail Kim def. Maria Kanellis (w/ Allie) (5:22) after Eat Defeat to become the new TNA Knockouts Champion. After the match, Mike Bennett checked on Maria and complained on the mic that this wasn't how the night was supposed to go. Bennett said he was shutting down BFG and no one could stop him which was interrupted by the debut of Cody & Brandi Rhodes. Maria slapped Cody, Brandi took out Maria and then Cody hit the Beautiful Disaster on Bennett as Cody & Brandi stood tall.

*Lashley def. Ethan Carter III (16:16) after a flying spear to retain the TNA Worlds Heavyweight Championship

That was perfect. The match, on the other hand, had some hiccups but was still good and got both guys over so it worked. The Great War was silliness, wonderful silliness. A drone is one of the top babyfaces in 2016 wrestling. My friends and I popped hard for that appearance.

The Rex/Edwards match wasn't particularly good but the lights going out was straight up TNA. "Pay your light bills!" chant.

Awesome on Reby for sneaking a few bars of "Live For The Moment" into the piano intro for the Hardys.

It's amazing that in a modern wrestling company, the fucking Hardy Boys and Decay are miles above any other act in the promotion, although that's likely all on Matt and Rosemary being amazing and everyone else throwing themselves into the whole angle and playing it all straight.  I don't think it works if everyone doesn't buy in the way they did.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peterien said:

The Great War was great fun even if it was basically a glorified squash for the Hardys. 

Well to be fair, Matt can throw fireballs and has a sentient drone that can shoot poison mist. Decay was outgunned. If they added Senor Benjamin into the mix, it would've been a bigger revenge squash than Bret vs Vince at WM.

This was the first full TNA show I've watched in a long time. A few thoughts.

How long have they been piping in fake crowd noise during backstage interview segments? Was very obvious and distracting. I noticed it heavily during Gail Kim's induction as well.

I only know of the new championship and of the round system due to me being online and reading the occasional spoilers and such. Even then, I was still a little confused as to what was going on. They did nothing to outline what this new championship is, why it has rounds, or what the actual rules are. They just took it that everybody watching knew what was going on and were up to date. And was having the match go the full three rounds and to the judges decision the best way to introduce a new championship and crown a new champion? Very anti-climactic. And boy, whatever charisma the former Damien Sandow used to have seems to have disappeared with his beard.

I watched the prior Hardy/Hardy match a few months ago due to all the press it was getting. I thought it was cute, but never understood all the positive reaction it was and has been getting. I still don't. The backstage stuff took me out of it completely. There were a few funny moments, but is this supposed to be funny or are we supposed to be taking it seriously? Is this a death feud, or comedy act? I like the look of Decay and think Rosemary was good for what she did last night, but the bits of "comedy" thrown in to what seemed like was supposed to be a serious match was just too much for me. I guess this type of "wrestling" isn't for me.

The main event was decent. I was surprised Lashley won as it seemed like the match was building to the babyface overcoming the odds and beating the heel champ ending. Also surprised with TNA's "biggest show of the year" ending with a heel champion victorious.

Nothing else really stood out to me. Pretty mediocre show and I don't think I'll catch another TNA show for awhile again.

After watching the great war(and drinking away the pain with Jim beam), I am confused as hell about one thing. I get they have the lake of reincarnation on the hardy property and they brought some with them. Crazy Steve throws the water on Nero, who disappears. He shows up in a jester hat and goggles with a Hick accent. So, who the hell is he supposed to be? How can he disappear? How does he wave an umbrella and become willow? God, I need another drink

• Like 1

The Great War was fucking awesome.

I fucking hate the business exposing Canadian Destroyer move but besides that, DJ Z vs. Trevor Lee was far better than I expected it to be and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  It's pretty sweet how TNA has at least two belts that aren't vanity titles.

Speaking of vanity titles, we will not discuss the abomination that was Maria vs. Gail Kim.

I hated the finish of Edwards v. Rex.  Such obvious bullshit booking to force a rematch.  You bought Rex in to be a title holder. Since he's not in an angle with Lashley, put the Grand Championship on him

Moose vs. Miracle was a match.  The right man went over so now maybe Moose and Lashley can put on far more entertaining matches and beat the shit out of each other for my viewing pleasure.

Lashley vs EC3 was a perfectly fine wrestling match.  I still love Lashley's THE CHAMPION MAKES THE BELT NOT THE OTHER WAY 'ROUND attitude.

The Great War was fucking balls to the walls.  Poor Rosemary and her tiny tiny shorts.  INITIATE POISON MIST PROTOCOL~!

• Like 1

I guess Gail vs Maria was as good as we were gonna get lol

Speaing of Gail, I enjoyed her induction and it was really cool to see Kong and Taryn come back to give her props. Been a Gail fan for a while so this was definitely well deserved, IMO

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Great War was fucking awesome.

I fucking hate the business exposing Canadian Destroyer move

I understand what you mean but these two thoughts being back to back made me laugh. Everyone has their own line of what is ok and not ok in wrestling ;)

• Like 5

The Grand Championship is a fun idea with the right wrestlers, but Aron Rex is about as far from the right guy as you can get. Will Chris Hero not sully himself, because he so obviously *is* the right guy and Rex vs Hero would at least be an amusing flab battle.

They also fucked up the scorecards, as the graphics showed all 3 judges called Rounds 2 & 3 for Rex 10-9, so on that basis no judge had Edwards winning 2-1. TNA gonna TNA, but if you're gonna do this shit then do it right. And couldn't they have at least got some veterans to be the judges for the final?

The Great War was very entertaining. I think Jeff's second character is supposed to be something he did in OMEGA. It's also weird that in this context, Willow is somehow over and fun even though Jeff doing Willow before was awful. I can't really explain to people who don't like this stuff why it's good but I'll just say that they're all 100% committed to it. There's nothing half assed.

Lashley vs EC3 felt like a TV match. They spent all this time building to this big match but along the way Lashley completely overshadowed EC3. He was just too good so I don't think anyone really wanted EC3 to win and weren't really that into the match.

I think the direction might be Lashley vs Matt Hardy. I can't really see anyone else on the roster that could go against Lashley in a convincing feud. Maybe if they bring in Alberto?

The Grand Championship is a square peg in a round hole. The idea is fine if you have the right guys to execute it but they don't. Also, Aron Rex got blown up because they went hard for three five minute rounds instead of pacing themselves like a normal match.

The rest of the show was pretty average. Mike Bennett needs to stop skipping leg day if he's going to be a body guy. I hated that Allie couldn't get her big moment because they had to do the Brandi and Cody stuff. Gail's speech was nice. Although it really showed how badly TNA dropped the ball with women's wrestling and allowed WWE to swoop in YEARS later and pick it up. The battle royal was laughable. DJZ vs Trevor Lee was decent.

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

I didn't really understand why Lashley made the match a "No Holds Barred" match when that stip never really came into play.

The winner of the match gained a copy of No Holds Barred on Blu-Ray. Matthews and Pope just weren't allowed to mention it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I understand what you mean but these two thoughts being back to back made me laugh. Everyone has their own line of what is ok and not ok in wrestling ;)

All things analyzed in their proper context, Mr. Wilson. :)

• Like 1