DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

We were dangerously close to crossing the line in the other thread.  No one did, but someone would eventually if we kept up that line of discussion.

I felt a little wrong even mentioning that Rhaegar is one of the most interesting characters. 

I typed in Rhaegar on Twitter and it's a bunch of articles from TV Guide etc... clearly written by book readers who are trying (and failing) to explain stuff without actually spoiling anything.  Problem is, I don't feel the show has been consistent enough with that mystery for it to be brought up to the show-only folks just yet.  

The hints and exposition were heavy in this one, but it doesn't really point in that direction unless you already expect it.  They need to somehow do a better job at establishing the timeline of exactly when Jon was born relative to when R runs away with L. 

I did really like that Melisandre/Jon scene because it's been established in the show that she has a thing for king's blood and the power to use it.  The best hint in the series is still probably the Oberyn/Tyrion scene from the beginning of last season, but again it had been so long since the Ned/Robert scenes that Oberyn contradicts...  I think it went over everyone's head.

Did Martin ever write that book he mentioned on Conan last year that was suppose to tell you everything that happened before the pilot episode?

The World of Ice and Fire? Came out last November time. It's good. And by everything that happened before the pilot, it's thousands of years of the history of Westeros, with the lead-in to and aftermath of Aegon's conquest (and basically the 300-odd years leading to the start of the books) in great detail. But nothing about Summerhall, because the Maester who's writing it assumes everyone will know that. You can put a lot of it together though. It was something to do with Dragons, lots of people including the King died and Rhaegar was born at the same time. But I think GRRM is saving it for Dunk and Egg episode 9 or something.

Supermebve:

"As a young boy, the Prince of Dragonstone was bookish to a fault. He was reading so early that men said Queen Rhaella must have swallowed some books and a candle whilst he was in her womb. Rhaegar took no interest in the play of other children. The maesters were awed by his wits, but his father's knights would jest sourly that Baelor the Blessed had been born again. Until one day Prince Rhaegar found something in his scrolls that changed him. No one knows what it might have been, only that the boy suddenly appeared early one morning in the yard as the knights were donning their steel. He walked up to Ser Willem Darry, the master-at-arms and said 'I will require sword and armour. It seems I must be a warrior.'

I couldn't find the 'Rhaegar was the best at everything' quote, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. Although from skimming through the Daenerys chapters you do get the sense that while Viserys thought Rhaegar was a living god, Barristan and Jorah were both kind of in the 'He was good not great' camp. 

As far as people who haven't read the books guessing at R+L=J, watch the guy in the grey shirt from about 36 or 37 minutes:

[/youbute]
  • Like 1

I liked tonight's episode. Stannis is finally leaving the North. Jorah has the greyscale. Dany unleashed some dragon justice. 

Also, did it show Barristan and Worm dead? 

Tyrion seeing the Dragon was awesome. 

I actually liked the Bolton stuff. It was very uncomfortable seeing Theon and Sansa interact which is what they were going for. 

Man, Jon better get the most harmless stabbing ever on the show. With Melissandre gone there's no one who can help if he gets sliced by them crows and that can't be a good sign for him in the books :(

Either that or Melissandre goes back to the Wall after seeing something in the fire..

I guess Jorah is kinda replacing Jon Connington?

And poor Ramsey might lose his place in the line of succession.. Of course , i doubt He would have second thoughts about causing a miscarriahe.

Barristan, dead. Grey Worm, not only alive, but some sugar too.

It was nice to be kings lamding free for a week.

OK prediction time: Cersei's arrest plays out like in the books, and Pycelle and Kevan do come in to start running the country surprisingly well in her absence. But then Ser Loras demands a trial by combat and the faith's Champion against him is Lancel Lannister - who Loras squashes in seconds. So when Mace Tyrell arrives back from Braavos all shook because Ser Meryn died, he's confronted by an angry 'Your son killed my son, and now you must pay' Kevan Lannister. And then Varys kills Pycelle, because he would be the only possible stabilising influence.

Also one of the Sand Snakes shows up to take Doran/ Oberyn's place on the small council because Doran wants to disrupt the KL power base as well. And Myrcella's wounding will have happened by now as well (but I'm not sure by who; Not Darkstar because he won't be in the show. Shame. The two great rogues have both been written out. We want our Euron Crow's eye and we want him now.)

The Winterfell stuff is way more interesting to me than King's Landing right now, but it should pick up when Littlefinger gets back.  His interaction with the Faith Militant should be quite interesting.

It's all about Stannis and Jon at the Wall.  Speaking of Jon, they just pulled off my favorite R+L=J hint of the entire series.

Master Aemon: "A Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing." *Sam moves his big head out of the shot and we see Jon standing in the doorway.* Fucking perfect.

Mace needs to live and return to the capital to become Hand so his hilariously stupid hand-shaped chair can make the show.

Also the scene with Stannis talking to Sam about Sam's dad has rekindled my faint hope that we'll get a token Randyll Tarly appearance someday.  It's not like the Small Council doesn't have the room, it makes sense for Mace (or Olenna) to want to bring their heavy into the mix, and Game Of Thrones could always has room for one more Tremendous Asshole.

OK prediction time: Cersei's arrest plays out like in the books, and Pycelle and Kevan do come in to start running the country surprisingly well in her absence. But then Ser Loras demands a trial by combat and the faith's Champion against him is Lancel Lannister - who Loras squashes in seconds. So when Mace Tyrell arrives back from Braavos all shook because Ser Meryn died, he's confronted by an angry 'Your son killed my son, and now you must pay' Kevan Lannister. And then Varys kills Pycelle, because he would be the only possible stabilising influence.

Also one of the Sand Snakes shows up to take Doran/ Oberyn's place on the small council because Doran wants to disrupt the KL power base as well. And Myrcella's wounding will have happened by now as well (but I'm not sure by who; Not Darkstar because he won't be in the show. Shame. The two great rogues have both been written out. We want our Euron Crow's eye and we want him now.)

Great fucking prediction. I predicted the Loras trial by combat but I think that is when Qyburn debuts the new Mountain Robot. 

I'm wondering if Stannis is going to end up taking the North via Brienne-ference.  They pulled a Chekov's Candle with the "Light a candle in the broken tower if you have trouble" line that makes me think that its a Brienne signal so she comes sailing in to lay waste to anything between her and Sansa, which would distract the Bolton's long enough for Stannis to smash, or even create the opening for him.

And I'm wondering if its a curbstomping so that Melesandre has time to book back to the Wall for when Jon gets stabbed.  I'd put that as the big Episode 9 event. 

I'm wondering if Stannis is going to end up taking the North via Brienne-ference.  They pulled a Chekov's Candle with the "Light a candle in the broken tower if you have trouble" line that makes me think that its a Brienne signal so she comes sailing in to lay waste to anything between her and Sansa, which would distract the Bolton's long enough for Stannis to smash, or even create the opening for him.

And I'm wondering if its a curbstomping so that Melesandre has time to book back to the Wall for when Jon gets stabbed.  I'd put that as the big Episode 9 event. 

With Reek inadvertently causing the disqualification that prevents the title change when he smuggles Sansa to safety (she saves him, he saves her).

The North can become such a clusterfuck (and I mean that in a good way).  If Yara/Asha has any further part in the story she'll probably turn up there somehow.  Since holding Winterfell takes a Stark, The Umbers/Whatever Passes For The Northern Conspiracy can drop the Rickon bombshell.  Brienne and her mortal enemy have a common greater enemy (and of course EVERYONE has an even greater common enemy than that, which Stannis seems to be the only one aware of/caring about...)  The Boltonpowers could COLLIDE over Fat Walda being pregnant, or they could not.  I've wanted resolution to this ever since ADWD punted instead of giving it to us and I almost don't care what the resolution is since there's so many fun options.

Since Ramsay has also dropped the "The North Remembers" line, it will be interesting to see if Sansa ends up trusting that old lady or not [and if she should or not:  the fake/ringer escape option is of course Ramsay's favorite page of the playbook and now I definitely don't know what's up with that old lady].

I feel like my bile will overwhelm me if there are no Greyjoy bros in the future. Also count me in on the Randyll Tarly train, such a fucking douche.

I was wondering if we will ever see theon's sister again.

I feel like my bile will overwhelm me if there are no Greyjoy bros in the future. Also count me in on the Randyll Tarly train, such a fucking douche.

Well, Victarion's signature spot went to Jaime, so that doesn't bode well for him.

Asha got put through the WWE name generator and shows up once a season (if that).

Balon hasn't even been killed yet.

Unless The Drowned God/Cthulu/A Literal Kraken is an essential part of the Battle Royal Of The Gods at the end of the story and thus Damphair needs to summon/manage him he's probably cut.

And if they're willing/able to prune Fake Aegon (as they clearly have) Euron's probably out along with him.

As someone who "got something in his eye" when ADWD had the Asha/Theon reunion at the end (to say nothing of being a fan boy for off-brand Vikings) I'm a bit sad over this myself.

There's something poignant about Euron Greyjoy winning an election with bullshit promises and policies that will destroy his people/nation in the long term (and people being all to willing to believe a politician who tells them they're greater than they are and casting down the unpopular realist would-be leaders preaching austerity/scaling back) and I'll miss that too, and all the parallels one could draw to actual current/historical leaders, of course...