DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

HELLFYRE CLUB.

milo has a new record. It is released under the name scallops hotel, which is his name when he's using beats he made. It's called Plain Speaking. I happen to think it's very good, which is a function thinking he's very good. If you click on this it'll take you to where you can buy it and/or listen to it. I think that's a good idea. Also the singer from Future Islands raps on track three under the name Hemlock Ernst, and the weirdest part of that is that he has a lot of flows.

Nine Inch Nails

Green Day

NOFX

The Offspring

Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Weezer

Beck

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Pennywise

Quicksand

Fugazi

Bad Religion

Social Distortion.

Had to go up to fifteen for my 90's list..  I know Bad Religion and Social D have both been around since the late 70's, but they both had a pretty good run of good shit in the 90's.

Ahh fuck it gotta throw Primus, Lagwagon, No Use For a Name, Marilyn Manson, and Rancid in there for a good even 20.

Ok, here it goes. My top 10 of the 90s.

1. Alice in Chains

2-10 (no particular order)

Nine Inch Nails

Soundgarden

Tool

Helmet

Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Primus

Bad Religion

Sepultura

Henry Rollins

Tool is one of my favorite bands, but if we were ranking bands purely on the 90s criteria, they'd be at the bottom top five probably. For my tastes, they didn't release a really good album until 1996 with Ænima. I liked Undertow just fine, but it's never going to be my favorite Tool album. If we're talking non-90s criteria, then yeah, probably #2 actually. My favorite album of theirs came in 2001 (Lateralus), and the boxset Salival, that originally got me into Tool, was released in 2000.

I'd probably say Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam at #1 and #2 for the 1990s.

I loved Undertow,  Thought it was really solid top to bottom and a great listen cruising around in the car.  I remember that I bought that and Helmet's Meantime on the same day and those were on continuous rotation with Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power for quite sometime.

Let the rabbits wear glasses.

• Like 1

The Smashing Pumpkins take a lot of shit (some of it deserved) but "Siamese Dream" is a fucking great album.

The first time I got high was listening to "Mayonaise" and I cherish that memory to this day.

That and Gish are damn near flawless all the way through.  Mellon Colllie had a lot of filler.

The Smashing Pumpkins take a lot of shit (some of it deserved) but "Siamese Dream" is a fucking great album.

The first time I got high was listening to "Mayonaise" and I cherish that memory to this day.

That and Gish are damn near flawless all the way through. Mellon Colllie had a lot of filler.
Mellon Collie would have been a lot better trimmed down to one album. I also liked their first B-sides collection, Pisces Iscariot.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Undertow,  Thought it was really solid top to bottom and a great listen cruising around in the car.  I remember that I bought that and Helmet's Meantime on the same day and those were on continuous rotation with Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power for quite sometime.

Let the rabbits wear glasses.

Undertow was a good start. Aenima was a huge leap forward. I think it had a bunch to do with Justin Chancellor joining the band. The technical proficiency increased quite a bit.

The Jedi Mind Tricks album is indeed awesome.

This fucking Alabama Shakes song has been stuck in my head for three days now. Such a great track.

Brittany Howard is a BIG sista.

Really remembering today what an awesome band Rocket From The Crypt was.

Ditch Digger is one of my favorite 90's songs.

Bring Us Bullets is number one and the best.

• Like 1

"With a lot of these lyrics, I don’t sit and think about what I should write. Things just happen. Usually that means I write stuff that I would have guarded myself from. I would probably have been embarrassed to say a lot of these things, but I just wrote it.

This is how I think about lyrics: If I write it and then I’m embarrassed by it, maybe it’s something I really should say. People who don’t like my music probably think this is the worst rule in the world."

Jenny Hval went on rap genius, posted (almost) all of the lyrics from "Apocalypse, girl", and added annotations. They're over here.

• Like 1

Dave Grohl fell off the stage and broke his leg in Sweden during the second song of a Foo Fighters concert today. Instead of cancelling the show, they had Taylor Hawkins take lead on some coversongs while Grohl got treated and put in a cast, before Grohl came back and finished the concert.