DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Yeah I don't think this year has been quite as good as last year, from what i've heard.  But that makes me think i'm missing a lot of stuff that people here might be digging and i'm not aware of it.  So I was just curious what some people have as their albums of the year so far, because my list is pretty short.

1.) Black keys – turn blue

2.) Phantogram – voices

3.) Eric church – the outsiders

4.) Jack white – lazaretto

5.) Lana del rey – ultraviolence

6.) Tom petty – hypnotic eye

7.)  Banks – goddess

8.)  St Vincent

9.) Beck - morning phase

10.) Taylor swift – 1989

those numbers can all change. plus i liked weezer, coldplay, jason aldean, little dragon, run the jewels...but after that i need a lot more reco's

my whole list with explanations, sample tracks and download links is over here, but so far here's my top 10

1. B L A C K I E - IMAGINE YOUR SELF IN A FREE AND NATURAL WORLD

2. White Suns - Totem

3. milo - a toothpaste suburb
4. Carla Bozulich - Boy

5. Lil Ugly Mane - The Weeping Worm EP

6. Young Fathers - Dead

7. Jenny Hval & Susanna - Meshes of Voice

8. clipping. - CLPPNG

9. Busdriver - Perfect Hair

10. Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

Thanks that a good start.

Oooh a new La Sera album, I liked their last one so i'll def check that out,

I want to listen to FKA Twigs also, heard a lot of good things about that one

I def need to get that Thom Yorke too, that came out of nowhere

I'll probably even check out that Riff Raff too

Totally disagree that this year hasn't been a good one for music, and I'm in if anyone wants to do it.

Need to do some narrowing but I've enjoyed stuff this year from Spoon, The War On Drugs, Single Mothers, fka twigs, The Hotelier, Merchandise, Cloud Nothings, Dads, The Men, Future Islands, Hospitality, Nothing, Sharon Van Etten, The Black Keys, Code Orange, Pianos Become the Teeth, Death From Above 1979, Ryan Adams, Blonde Redhead, The Rural Alberta Advantage, Owls, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Xerxes, Jessica Lea Mayfield, Diarrhea Planet, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Against Me!, Perfume Genius, and Every Time I Die.

• Like 1

But is that really punk music?    I usually lump Green Day with Avril Lavigne and Blink 182 as sorta punk gimmick.

As far as historical importance, it took the Ramones YEARS to be inducted, and they have way more importance in the history of music.  I'm not a Green Day basher or hater, but I just don't see what made them special.

I think it was their late career resurgence that put them in. If they had gone away after their 90's pop-punk heyday, there's no way they'd be in. But they successful reinvented themselves as a more "serious" rock band and sold a bunch more records in the 00's, and that kind of longevity + sales = IN.

Because American Idiot is a towering masterpiece of pop-punk rock with traces of Queen and The Who effortlessly blended in to their Ramones tribute act, and maybe the last rock record to be both great and massively successful.

(Also, they have 3 or 4 other very good albums)

/Green Day fan

• Like 1

Yeah, saw the Green Day thing in the paper this morning. Made me feel old as fuck. :(

Picked up The Pinkprint by Nicki Minaj (clean version). Shut up. Big fan. Anywho, one of the more annoying things about Nicki's music is the total disconnect between the verses and chorus. It's like they merged two songs. I do prefer when she's more 'popish' over 'rapish.' Overall, too much Drake, too much Lil' Troll and I am not the biggest Beyonce fan, but fucking hell if that song isn't some lazy shit.

Favorite songs: All Things Go, Trini Dem Girls, Bed of Lies, Win Again.

And fuck Buy a Heart. It's like every other hip hop song on the radio and it's total shit. Even for Nicki.

What's weird is I went into the Pinkprint being a fan of Nicki the rapper and not the popstar, and ended up feeling pretty much the same way except for liking the Beyonce track and not liking Bed of Lies. I guess leaving the best rap track she made this year off the album (Yasss Bish) should've been a warning for me. I assumed this record would be doing more for the pop fans so it's interesting to see that's not entirely true either.

One criticism Nicki is always getting is that records don't sound like her old mixtapes. I think The Pink Print has a lot of sounds to shut people up about that. Esp Win Again.

Tho I want see what would happened if she worked with a decent producer. None of that Cash Money bullshit because they are all terrible these days and she's the only one with flow that isn't embarrassing to listen to.

Can someone explain to me what makes/made Green Day so great that they're being inducted into the HOF?  I just don't see it.

Well they had that one song that has been played at about 60% of graduations from 1997 on. The other 40% feature The Sunscreen Song.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kanye West dropped a new song with Paul McCartney and I don't like it. This is coming from a guy who likes The Beatles, West, and McCartney's solo stuff. MBDTF is a classic rap album and if Kanye would have removed 3 tracks it would hands down be the rap/hip-hop version of Thriller as every song remaining would have been straight fire. Anyways, the new song has elementary lyrics, good piano, and a lame auto-tune heavy chorous that makes the worse auto-tune user on MBDTF sound like gregorian monks and Ladysmith Black Mambazo singing haramony. Kanye should have let Paul sing the chorus and the track might have some more bite to it. As it stands right now, the only people praising this song are stans. Again, I love both of them, but I thought this was going to be some 21st century 'Say, Say, Say' shit, but nope!

Re: D'Angelo

I always liked the guy and its good to see that his album (despite being released in dec 2014) has popped up in a ton of 'best of the year' lists. Not only that but the album is cracking the top ten in most cases. I listened to the first track some time ago and wasn't feeling it- but I know with D'Angelo I have to let it simmer. I LOVED musicology when it came out so if there are some comparisons to that- Its definitely a listen I am looking forward to.

Re: GS9

I don't like ignorant asses. I don't. If they did it, I hope they all go to jail and the states throws away the key. Scum needs to get off the streets as its messing up with young people's mind. We don't need anymore criminals on the streets and we also don't need anymore garbage ass rappers with nothing to say. Migos, Trindad James, GS9, Cheif Keef, etc. all need to disappear from the rap game forever. I feel like 95% of rap and rappers are worthless anyways. Anyways, back on the top- it looks like the evidence (thus far) definitely show that these guys did it.