DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I'm assuming you mean Five Finger Death Punch's cover?  Because CHRIST that thing is awful.

And I actually kinda like FFDP outside that, but good lord.

Thankfully that FFDP cover died a quick death on the station Iw as on when it came out and has NEVER been on the new station I'm on now. I concur, Brian. Back to the Shack is easily Weezer's best radio single. Hooky, well produced, over all good stuff.

The new Weezer album is a really good return to form. Their first two albums are probably my two all-time favorites. I also really like The Green Album. I think this is better than The Green Album but not as good as the first two, but there are only a handful of albums I think approach those. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 after a first listen.

Contentious music statement warning:

Back to the Shack is the best radio single Weezer has ever released.

I still think "Say it Ain't So" maybe holds that distinction. Although, was it ever truly released that way? Obviously, that album came out long before I was aware of "Weezer." (Hash Pipe was my first exposure to them).

Also, I picked up the Hozier album off iTunes this week. I am slowly falling in love with this record, and I highly recommend that everyone checks it out. To me, it has a definite Jeff Buckley/Van Morrison vibe to it.

Contentious music statement warning:

Back to the Shack is the best radio single Weezer has ever released.

I still think "Say it Ain't So" maybe holds that distinction. Although, was it ever truly released that way? Obviously, that album came out long before I was aware of "Weezer." (Hash Pipe was my first exposure to them).

Say It AInt So

Island In The Sun

Buddy Holly

Beverly Hills

Undone

Hash Pipe

... and THEN maybe Back to the Shack

Bold statement, but it could possibly be top 5

It's probably worth pointing out I'm not a huge fan of Weezer, and the only songs on that list that I can even really say I like are Say It Ain't So and Buddy Holly (and maybe Beverly Hills if I'm in the right mood) but I don't find any of them nearly as good as Back to the Shack.

That's part of why I'm so surprised...  They aren't a band I have ever really cared about at all, so for them to release a song I really love 20 years into their career is surprising as hell.

• Like 2

The singles and other tracks off Maladroit are forever underrated. Last album from them I enjoyed, but I guess I'll check the new one out to see what all the fuss is.

This seems like as good a time as any to post my favorite cover of all time:

• Like 2

The new Weezer album is really, really good. I haven't liked anything from them save for a track or two since the Green Album. The first two albums are my most listened-to albums of all-time. I've listened to The Blue Album non-stop lately and it's as great as it was in 1994 when I listened to it while playing Road Rash with my brother in his bedroom.

I really don't like the single. I think the single's the worst song on the album. It's not bad, though.

I think some of the songs sound like a power-pop Queen.

• Like 1

It's probably worth pointing out I'm not a huge fan of Weezer, and the only songs on that list that I can even really say I like are Say It Ain't So and Buddy Holly (and maybe Beverly Hills if I'm in the right mood) but I don't find any of them nearly as good as Back to the Shack.

That's part of why I'm so surprised...  They aren't a band I have ever really cared about at all, so for them to release a song I really love 20 years into their career is surprising as hell.

This is me. I'm not what you would call a Weezer fan at all. I tolerate them but never actively seek them out. With that said, as a radio dude who has heard all of their "hits" one million times, "Back to the Shack" is my favorite of their singles.

So I'm making music again.

a1008926559_2.jpg

This is the cover of my new EP, under my new name, and the explanation of what is coming from this new name.

Releases under this name will be very, very rare, as it's meant to be a writing exercise until my new band can get all their shit together and we can start writing. For now, I have too much time and energy on my hands, so, songs.

Not so much a collaboration, but Fanclub's Maharishi Dug The Scene which features sound clips of an old Chilton radio interview is a pretty good song too.

Unfortunately, lousy ass YouTube has a version without Chilton's intro. So unless you own the What You Do To Me EP, you're out of luck.

**edit** ...aww yeah...

http://youtu.be/VN8IglhnVKA

Took my UK 12" version to remind me it was retitled. Anyway, uhh...yeah.

As a musician, I agree with Alex. Just do what sounds good to you, fuck anyone else's opinions that contrast from your own. It's art.

Conform

Also, for fellow Fannie fans; opening riff resembles the great Thirteen closer, Gene Clark, no? Another fantastic song. As are all of their outputs (especially that '89-'94 era, my fave).

• Like 1

Yeah, just read the Alex Chilton bio, A Man Called Destruction (HIGHLY recommended, btw, if you love Big Star/Chilton), and have been on a Chilton/Big Star kick lately.

I had totally not even thought about Teenage Fanclub in years and the book doesn't allude to much work with them - just some palling around.  So when scouring youtube yesterday I found all this Chilton/Teenage Fanclub stuff and completely marked out.  I honestly had no clue Chilton did stuff with them.

I can clearly see I am going to go on another Teenage Fanclub bender soon.  Man, I totally forgot just how freaking great Bandwagonesque is.

• Like 2

My Halloween "costume" this year is being a fake band called Sophisticated Mannequins. The story behind this is at the link below:

http://pedroboyd.tumblr.com/post/101400133988/ladies-and-gentlemen-here-is-my-halloween

And I came up with a Youtube playlist for the project here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkL29Xq5lVahl1LYWG-mKgUZwAjgMukYr

• Like 1