DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Yesterday at about 11 am Guided By Voices announced a handful of new shows for the tail end of their current tour, including Detroit on 11/29.

About 4:30 yesterday afternoon, Guided By Voices announced they had broken up again, and the remainder of the tour is canceled.

That's So Pollard!

I really want to know what the fuck happened in those 5 1/2 hours.

They got in a fight the night before, went into "I Love you Man! No, I Love You, MAN!" mode.  After everyone had recovered, they returned to whatever the fight was the night before?

I saw The Rentals last night in Philly. It was great. We Still Love You Boris Yeltsin opened and were pretty bleh. Mates of State went on second and were really good. The Rentals, though, were FANTASTIC.

Their first album, Return Of The Rentals, is so incredibly slept on. I've probably listened to that and the first two Weezer albums more than anything in my life. That album's just as good as those two albums and might even be better in a lot of ways.

Their second album wasn't as good, since it had too much filler, but has a lot of really great songs. It never got the attention it deserved.

The stuff they just released is magical and fantastic.

In person, they've got a ton of personality and a great sense-of-humor. They broke out into this weird version of Ghostbuters last night and it didn't seem planned at all. Just really funny stuff.

There are so many Moog/synth bands out there these days. They're all doing it wrong.

As a radio dj, I am paid to help spoon feed fucking awful music to listeners. The present state of popular music is a travesty and it makes me sad. Then I get home and look through all of the amazing music I can find in my favorite genre (prog rock) and I celebrate the fact that, while no bands outside of the tiny corporate envelope of "stars" are making any money, EVERY BAND (including my own prog rock band) and release an album and get it to their fans via the net. In some ways, I think the main stream has shifted back to the pre-Beatles days where EVERYTHING was controlled by a small handful of producers/writers/arrangers.

• Like 1

As a radio dj, I am paid to help spoon feed fucking awful music to listeners. The present state of popular music is a travesty and it makes me sad. Then I get home and look through all of the amazing music I can find in my favorite genre (prog rock) and I celebrate the fact that, while no bands outside of the tiny corporate envelope of "stars" are making any money, EVERY BAND (including my own prog rock band) and release an album and get it to their fans via the net. In some ways, I think the main stream has shifted back to the pre-Beatles days where EVERYTHING was controlled by a small handful of producers/writers/arrangers.

Music may be less of a moneymaker these days, but it's a lot more democratic. I'm into more punk/indie hipstery stuff. I can listen to any band I want with Soundcloud or if stuff's on YouTube or the like. I don't go to as many live music show as I used to anymore (and my ears thank me for that), but I still have access via word-of-mouth on social networking and different websites and blogs and the like that can tell me what to search out. If I like what I hear, I drop a few bucks on ITunes and can listen to whatever I want on my friggin' phone. It has really made DIY possible in terms of getting content to the masses -- digital formats make it easy to produce content, and you don't need to get permission from someone to have them make money off of you anymore.

I still like going to independent record stores. I really don't miss Sam Goody and that sort of store. They were fine if I wanted to pick up bigger label stuff, but that was a matter of convenience and not like I was gaining entrance into some secret world.

It's also refreshing to know that a lot of smaller labels like Merge Records are still going strong despite the changing industry. They (and other labels) treated their artists and fans well. A lot of bands that sprung from that scene went to major labels (and I'm not criticizing that decision at all -- I would jump at the financial security a major label brings in one second flat if I was in a band that had that chance) and got buried and didn't get pushed or find airplay and the like. But so many big bands -- Arcade Fire (who I don't even really like all that much) or LCD Soundsystem or Spoon all managed to get out there and become arena-sized entities.

It's a great world for the listener.

• Like 2

Music may be less of a moneymaker these days, but it's a lot more democratic. I'm into more punk/indie hipstery stuff. I can listen to any band I want with Soundcloud or if stuff's on YouTube or the like. I don't go to as many live music show as I used to anymore (and my ears thank me for that), but I still have access via word-of-mouth on social networking and different websites and blogs and the like that can tell me what to search out. If I like what I hear, I drop a few bucks on ITunes and can listen to whatever I want on my friggin' phone. It has really made DIY possible in terms of getting content to the masses -- digital formats make it easy to produce content, and you don't need to get permission from someone to have them make money off of you anymore.

I still like going to independent record stores. I really don't miss Sam Goody and that sort of store. They were fine if I wanted to pick up bigger label stuff, but that was a matter of convenience and not like I was gaining entrance into some secret world.

It's also refreshing to know that a lot of smaller labels like Merge Records are still going strong despite the changing industry. They (and other labels) treated their artists and fans well. A lot of bands that sprung from that scene went to major labels (and I'm not criticizing that decision at all -- I would jump at the financial security a major label brings in one second flat if I was in a band that had that chance) and got buried and didn't get pushed or find airplay and the like. But so many big bands -- Arcade Fire (who I don't even really like all that much) or LCD Soundsystem or Spoon all managed to get out there and become arena-sized entities.

It's a great world for the listener.

in my "down" time, i agree with Ramsey. everywhere you go is the new big hit from One Direction or Lady GaGa.  Everything else is still there, but you have to actively search it out.

in my "up" time, i think about what a golden era we are in as far as accessibility, number of interesting sounds/band out there. want to listen to something from pre-Beatles? no problem. iTunes, YouTube, etc. want to see if there are any unreleased Led Zeppelin songs? peer-to-peer. you can find literally anything if you look hard enough.

i guess it all boils down to how much work you're willing to put into it. if the answer is zero, well then the radio will pick what's best for you.

• Like 1

Out here in the Boulder/ Denver market there's a lot of radio stations playing more off the beaten path stuff. It's great. There's an NPR affiliate called KUNC  that plays music from 9 am to 3 pm and then again from 8pm to morning. And it's really varied. They'll play an old Willie Dixon blues tune, followed by PJ Harvey, followed by Robert Plant and then My Morning Jacket, Sinatra, Hank Williams sr., then the BoDeans.. I love it.

How many times a day will rock radio play that godawful remake of "House of the Rising Sun"?  I'm in the Denver area as well and KBPI is always on in the warehouse at work and I cringe every time I hear it.  One of my favorite songs just murdered. I was hoping when i moved out here there would be a station more dedicated to punk/indie stuff, but no luck.

Out here in the Boulder/ Denver market there's a lot of radio stations playing more off the beaten path stuff. It's great. There's an NPR affiliate called KUNC  that plays music from 9 am to 3 pm and then again from 8pm to morning. And it's really varied. They'll play an old Willie Dixon blues tune, followed by PJ Harvey, followed by Robert Plant and then My Morning Jacket, Sinatra, Hank Williams sr., then the BoDeans.. I love it.

There used to be a station called WKLU in Indianapolis (the station is still there but they've changed formats several times) that would play pretty much anything.  I remember one Halloween they played Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.  That was awesome.

Every Sunday they had a blues show, a Grateful Dead show (bleh), and Dr. Demento.  Damn, I miss that station.