DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I didn't think Andre's behavior was as bad as advertised, but it was a really rough set and you could tell Andre was really out of his comfort zone, having been out of the game for so long. Big Boi has been a fixture of the hipster festival circuit for some years now, and you could see his willingness to roll with whatever was happening, but Andre was completely flummoxed.

Whoever came up with the idea for them to spend the first 20 minutes in that cube should be fired. I think that really contributed to killing the vibe right off the bat. It made them seem small and low-energy. It picked up for a bit, but then Andre's solo mini-set sucked the life out of it again. Then there was the weird Future feature spot. And finally the Ms. Jackson fuck-up killed it dead and Andre went into I'M NOT HERE THIS ISN'T HAPPENING mode.

I'll be interested to see if this tour completes all of it's dates, at this point.

From what I've read the Coachella crowd being awful didn't help matters. Westerberg got pissed off at them as well.

Of course if I went to see Outkast and they only did one Southernplayalistic... song and two ATLiens songs I'd probably be pissed too.

You ever have a song that really spoke to you and you listened to daily for months, and kind of moved away from, and you come back and it's a good song but it no longer means anything to you, and you can't even remember why it did?

That's how I'm feeling about Bob Mould's "Paralyzed" tonight. I put it on for the first time in several years, and I'm kind of bobbing along to the rhythm and singing the chorus, but I have no idea why the fuck it felt IMPORTANT to me in 2006.

STREAMS have been kind of w/e for the last few weeks, but that's over now!

NPR- Brainfeeder (Flying Lotus' Warp imprint) is one of my favorite labels. This guy is on Brainfeeder. Come understand what I mean. (sorry about the tiny cover)

GoodTimes_CVR-27f68685a58de62d74b5b05b1d

"Good Times" by Jeremiah Jae

1. Sunday (Intro)
2. The Heat
3. Palm Trees feat. Isreal
4. Witch Hazel feat. Oliver the 2nd
5. That N---- feat. Tre
6. Good Times
7. Father's Day
8. Mountain Rise (prod. by Oliver the 2nd)
9. Making S--- (prod. by Jonwayne)
10. Bad Times
11. Survival feat. Oliver the 2nd
12. Good Leaf feat. Tre and Oliver the 2nd
13. Get Mine feat. F.A.B.L.E.
14. Chocolate City feat. Beans da Poet and Tre

P4K- Like singing koombaya with a bunch of robots and both you and the robots are on acid. Small cover because this cover is magnificiently insane and not worksafe.

cvg-shrinkdust.jpg?1390338827

"Shrink Dust" by Chad Vangaalen

1. Cut Off My Hands
2. Where Are You?
3. Play
4. Frozen Paradise
5. Lila
6. Weighed Sin
7. Monster
8. Play
9. Evil
10. Leaning on Bells
11. All Will Combine
12. Weird Love
13. Hangman's Son
14. Cosmic Destroyer

• Like 1

P4K- Like singing koombaya with a bunch of robots and both you and the robots are on acid. Small cover because this cover is magnificiently insane and not worksafe.

cvg-shrinkdust.jpg?1390338827

"Shrink Dust" by Chad Vangaalen

1. Cut Off My Hands

2. Where Are You?

3. Play

4. Frozen Paradise

5. Lila

6. Weighed Sin

7. Monster

8. Play

9. Evil

10. Leaning on Bells

11. All Will Combine

12. Weird Love

13. Hangman's Son

14. Cosmic Destroyer

Good call. Dude's sound is stellar.

OH GOSH BONUS STREAM

NPR- I think her last album is absolutely brilliant, clever, and incredibly impressive given my usual distrust of whimsical pop shit. I think it will take quite a while for me to have a coherent opinion of this record.

Tune-Yards-Nikki-Nack.jpg

"Nikki Nack" by tUnE-yArDs

1. Find a New Way
2. Water Fountain
3. Time of Dark
4. Real Thing
5. Look Around
6. Hey Life
7. Sink-O
8. Why Do We Dine on the Tots?
9. Stop That Man
10. Wait for a Minute
11. Left Behind
12. Rocking Chair

13. Manchild

Chicago footwork legend DJ Rashad has reportedly died. While details are scarce, it is believed that the cause of death is a drug overdose. Detroit's DJ Godfather tweeted about the news, suggesting that he had heard back from a few of Rashad's close friends. Godfather was scheduled to DJ tonight alongside Rashad and DJ Spinn at the Inhale Art Expo in Detroit.

Rashad, born Rashad Harden, has been a staple in the footwork scene for many years now. His last album, Double Cup, was released in October 2013. Earlier this month, he released a new EP called We On 1. Constantly on the road, he opened up for Chance The Rapper during the Social Experiment Tour this fall.

DJ Rashad blew my fucking mind last year and just inspired me to start rethinking about how I approach my own compositions and highlighting a middle ground between dance-able and technical that made sense. Not ready for this. Damn. Rest in peace.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundposts/2014/04/28/its-official-the-battle-over-the-future-of-queensryche-is-settled/

Our long national Queensryche name dispute nightmare is over.  The "three original members, plus dude that's been in the band for like 7 years, plus new singer" keeps the name and most of the back catalog, but Geoff Tate retains ownership over both Mindcrime albums.

So, yeah, the better band won't be playing things off their best album, I guess.  Or maybe they can play individual songs, but not do the full album in show anymore?

P4K - No part of what awaits after the link is safe for work. I repeat: Not Safe For Work. 

Amazing, though! Great beats, and the MC is a lot of fun. Recession era party raps.

Heavy_Hearted_in_Doldrums_The_405.jpg?13

"Heavy Hearted In Doldrums" by Antwon

1. Rain Song featuring Lil Ugly Mane (prod. Shawn Kemp)
2. During Mimis (prod. Cities Aviv)
3. Cold Tears (prod. Matrixxman)
4. Dont Care featuring Sad Andy (prod. Suicideyear)
5. Loser (prod. Stacy)
6. Baby Hair (prod. Tulip Pezley)
7. Mr. Intercontinental (prod. Walsh)
8. Metro Nome featuring Wiki (prod. Lord Pusswhip & Vrong)
9. KLF ELF featuring Heems & Lakutis (prod. Pictureplane)
10. Stop (prod. Dayfade)
11. Break Yo Back (prod. Ohbliv)
12. 143 featuring Andre Martel (prod. Froskees)

STREAMSDAY. HOLY SHIT there is some awesome shit this week.

Before that, Antwon's "Heavy Hearted In Doldrums" is now available for free through UNIF, the fashion label that has been financing and promoting the record as well as collaborating with Antwon to make somehow even more bizarre Nature World gear than what was already out there. FAIR WARNING: They'll ask for your email to send out the download, and the first picture of that email is the one that made the stream Not Safe For Work, so maybe send that to an email account where no one will go "man what are you doing with this."

ANYWAYS.

P4K- Nothing can ever fully replace the amazing Vivian Girls, but Kickball Katy's solo work is pretty fucking close. Also, this cover is pretty dang great.

la_sera_hour_of_the_dawn-500x500.jpg

"Hour of the Dawn" by La Sera

1. Losing to the Dark
2. Summer of Love
3. Running Wild
4. Fall in Place
5. All My Love is For You
6. Hour of the Dawn
7. Kiss This Town Away
8. Control
9. 10 Headed Goat Wizard
10. Storm's End

P4K- I believe I described this as "murderous blues attack rock" to a friend the other day.

33629d9d6c39bcb884501eaa3d7d16ba.jpg

"Easy Pain" by Young Widows

1. Godman

2. Cool Night
3. Kerosene Girl
4. Doomed Moon
5. Gift of Failure
6. Bird Feeder
7. King Sol
8. The Last Young Widow

NPR- I posted those other two first so you wouldn't go right to this and ignore them. They are awesome records, but if you're gonna stream one record this week...

swans-to-be-kind-artwork-1-500x500.jpg

"To Be Kind" by Swans

1. Screen Shot
2. Just A Little Boy (for Chester Burnett)
3. A Little God In My Hands
4. Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture
5. Some Things We Do
6. She Loves Us!
7. Kirsten Supine
8. Oxygen
9. Nathalie Neal
10. To Be Kind

• Like 1

Obviously Weezer is a snooooze these days but The Blue Album is still as good as I thought it was when I was a senior in high school. Every chord progression, drum line, cymbal crash, bits of distortion, vocal register change, harmonies, etc...  This absolutely kills it in every way possible. My music interests have changed a lot over time but this album is still the best.

• Like 1

Stumbled on these ladies yesterday and I'm hooked. They have this Melodic Cat Power Quartet thing going on.

I haven't read these since I wrote them, but here's me writing on their early albums:

http://www.factmag.com/2010/01/06/warpaint-exquisite-corpse/

http://www.factmag.com/2010/11/22/warpaint-the-fool/

I know, I'm a slut, but here we are. 

[edit] Why is access denied? Can I not use links any more? :/

Edited by throughsilver

Obviously Weezer is a snooooze these days but The Blue Album is still as good as I thought it was when I was a senior in high school. Every chord progression, drum line, cymbal crash, bits of distortion, vocal register change, harmonies, etc...  This absolutely kills it in every way possible. My music interests have changed a lot over time but this album is still the best.

I was thinking of revisiting this the other day.  I'm all aboard the 'Pinkerton' train, but haven't listened to the Blue Album in years.  Actually, for being a band I dug so much in school, I think the only Weezer song on my iPod is 'You Gave Your Love to Me Softly'.  There should be more, but I'm having trouble getting back into them after their repeated awfulness over the last few years.