DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Have you been to that place outside of Philly, where they held the US championships last year or the year before?

I went to one of the early rounds and had a blast.

A whole bunch of us went to that, too! It was SO GREAT! I was sorta in love w/ the team of punk/roller derby looking girls from Wisconsin.

Nationals are at the same venue again this year, right after the Olympics. They're looking for volunteers.

• 4 weeks later...

Sochi is in a month.  American Bobsledder and Defending Gold Medalist Steve Holcomb just updated his Facebook with this picture:

1011771_10152184610536328_536796301_n.jp

This is going to be fun for all the wrong reasons.

Anyone else watching NBC Sports? They're showing some of the Continental Cup, which is The Ryder Cup of Curling pitting North America vs. The World. Sweden made a dramatic three to tie the US in women's. But the US is looking really good, despite today's choke job. Curling may produce a national hero!

A little late, but I guess there should be a Canadian in here. Not a huge curling fan by any measure, especially for a Canadian, but it always surprises me how suspenseful a great game can be, especially in a big event like the Brier (Canada's Men's Championship) or the Olympics.

It does amuse me how much Canadians are into curling though. It is essentially a pretty silly sport (but damn fun to play), but my god is it huge up here.

Anyway, Canada is sending a couple monster teams this year. The nature of the Roar of the Rings tournament sometimes leads to surprising or unheralded teams as Canada's representatives. Case in point, MILF Icon Cheryl Bernard's team at the 2010 Olympics. She's a good curler, but has only appeared at a few Scotties tourneys (Women's Championships) and has never won it. She got hot at the right tournament and continued the good play to a silver medal.

Not so for 2014.

Jennifer Jones finally does the one thing she hasn't done in her career and won the Olympic trials. Former world champ and 4 time Scottie winner, definitely the most decorated female curler since Sandra Schmirler.

Brad Jacobs, the current Briar and World Champion made it through on the men's side. To say leaving with anything less than two golds would be a disappointment is a giant understatement.

Just a reminder again about this thread (though it seems that the Olympic Hockey talk is in the hockey folder... and that is probably for the best).

Assuming they don't hurt themselves in the next like two weeks - Lolo Jones and Lauryn Williams will be the 9th and 10th Americans to compete in both the Summer and Winter Olympics as they both were chosen for the Women's Bobsled team.

Shaun White locked up his Halfpipe spot so he is back too.

So NBC finally has "stars" it can focus on and the rest of us can ignore.

Oh - I also moved the Curling thread in here.

Curling is probably the one sport I LOVE watching in the Olympics. Of course every 4 years I forget the rules and have to re-learn.

You mean between worldwide gay athletes potentially getting very publicly arrested, the fact that Sochi is in Checnya, and suicide bombers blowing shit up left and right in Russia....

...the hell you say. 

You mean between worldwide gay athletes potentially getting very publicly arrested, the fact that Sochi is in Checnya, and suicide bombers blowing shit up left and right in Russia....

...the hell you say. 

Not to mention that the US is making plans to have two USS boats docked near Russia in case American athletes have to be evacuated due to political unrest.

We're past the 'that escalated quickly' point, me thinks.

I will admit I have serious concerns.

Have the derpfaced British media declared this "the worst Olympics of all time" yet or is that still reserved for Munich totally Vancouver?

There will be no inflatable beavers, no hockey heroes on pickup trucks, and no giant peaceful fun celebration of the home country's hockey team conquering the evil outsiders.

I expect a terrorist incident in Russia, but not in Sochi, during the Olympics.

No one would be dumb enough to hit Sochi during the Olympics.  Putin would have the offending parties shot in the street and then dare someone to say something.

As someone who watches a bit of bobsledding now and then, Lolo Jones doesn't really belong on the US team but the best US bobsledder in the world had to get a Russian vodka company to sponsor her so to anyone who complains about Lolo being there, try supporting these sports more than once every four years.