DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

These stories about Sochi hotels for journalists are amazing. These are probably the hotels they should have built first, since these are the people formulating the world's opinions about the city.

This is just a total nightmare waiting to unfold. What's awesome is that Sochi is Russia's SUMMER resort. It's like if they had the Winter Games in the Outer Banks.

It cost them $50 billion in infrastructure. Of course, god knows how many billions of those went to Putin-friendly construction magnate oligarchs and the like. On top of it, they've had to displace longtime residents and the like to host short-track speed skating and the like.

I don't want to slag on the Olympics at all. I am legitimately a gigantic Olympics nerd. I went to Lake Placid this summer and kissed the ice in the arena there. I took curling lessons. I'm incredibly knowledgeable about team handball. But why would any city put in a bid to host these things? They're gigantic targets for terrorists. The financing is insane. There's not really any payoff.

I doubt that 99.9% of the world would go to Sochi even if it was a stray-dog-free utopia on earth.

Shaun White dropped out of the Slopestyle event and is going to focus on medaling in the Halfpipe.  Says his decision wasn't influenced by the minor wrist injury he suffered during a practice run.

These stories about Sochi hotels for journalists are amazing. These are probably the hotels they should have built first, since these are the people formulating the world's opinions about the city.

This is just a total nightmare waiting to unfold. What's awesome is that Sochi is Russia's SUMMER resort. It's like if they had the Winter Games in the Outer Banks.

It cost them $50 billion in infrastructure. Of course, god knows how many billions of those went to Putin-friendly construction magnate oligarchs and the like. On top of it, they've had to displace longtime residents and the like to host short-track speed skating and the like.

I don't want to slag on the Olympics at all. I am legitimately a gigantic Olympics nerd. I went to Lake Placid this summer and kissed the ice in the arena there. I took curling lessons. I'm incredibly knowledgeable about team handball. But why would any city put in a bid to host these things? They're gigantic targets for terrorists. The financing is insane. There's not really any payoff.

I doubt that 99.9% of the world would go to Sochi even if it was a stray-dog-free utopia on earth.

There's a Twitter account called Sochi Problems that is basically just retweets of posts by reporters and I really want to believe like half of it is just made up. But even then... oh my.

I do enjoy the media folks sorta jokingly setting up a black market of hotel items

Like Dan Wetzel begging someone to bring him a door handle in exchange for light bulbs