DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Well the earliest reports of him dying were apparently premature, but now he has definitively been taken off life support and passed away.  RIP Shane.  

EDIT:

My apologies everyone because Shane Del Rosario isn't dead yet.  In my defense several outlets including ESPN reported that he was dead.  And his coach even basically said he was dead.  

He's not out of the woods, but I am praying he will pull through and survive this at least.

Colin Oyama, who is Shane Del Rosario's trainer, last night wrote on Facebook, "Start praying people cause we got a shot!."

www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/97-ufc/34225-shane-del-rosario-update

I know fans feared it, but it looks like the "UFC foreign events available only online" kicks into effect next month.  The UFC show in Singapore will not be shown on TV in the US, but will be made available via the UFC's new online subscription network.  That will surely work out well for them.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12/2/5166852/ufc-subscription-digital-network-international-cards

When will they start making foreign belts, and clouding everything? 

I really hope they don't do this...  we don't need MMA to become like boxing with regional, regular, and super champions...

Since they do have sponsor taxes and whatnot, why not fucking do sanctioning fees?

Yeah.  I haven't missed a show in nearly a decade, but I'm starting to feel the burnout.  This past weekend during the TUF finale, I was watching but spent more time reading.  It is hard to let go though, as I know the second I do the first show I miss will have 5 FOTY candidates on it.

• Like 1

I agree. I have started to pay less attention to the smaller fight nights. Lately I have just been watching the main cards and skipping the prelims (baring an interesting fight or fighter that I want to see). A year ago I couldn't imagine skipping the prelims, but now I just find it hard to sit through six hours of UFC so many times per month.

Cards like the recent Fight for the Troops and Henderson/Belfort literally had ONE fight that was worth watching. The UFC is becoming what Dana always said was terrible about boxing. You get a main event worth watching and then a bunch of crap fights.

Cards like the recent Fight for the Troops and Henderson/Belfort literally had ONE fight that was worth watching. T

Disagree with that. The Henderson/Belfort show had quite a few brutal knockouts on that show and the crowd at the Troops show made it worthwhile. The pacing of it was terrible, but a few good fights nonetheless. These international shows won't have most of those aspects. You'll have the occasional UK show with an energetic crowd, but I see some of these shows being OneFC and Cage Warriors shows on HGH.

So I think I heard that one of these internet "house shows" for lack of a better term will be the Gustafsson main event.  So you went from being one of the top 5 fights of the year to main eventing a show that maybe 8000 people will watch online.    I didn't know the phrase "moving down the cards" also applied to MMA but definitely does in this case.

The UK shows won't be that much of a problem. By the time those get up and going, college football will be long over.

I think with the Asian shows, they may have to go the Top Rank undercard route of finding local draws rather than actual, legit talent. If they are picking guys that haven't fought MMA in a few years to coach TUF Nations or whatever the fuck it's called, then it's obvious they trying to be committed to a local international fanbase rather than us. You have your obvious drawbacks, but it's something I hinted back on the board a couple years ago. You can't make an indelible mark on a place running one show a year. We're far removed from having a UFC version of Tyson vs. Tubbs in Tokyo, but they're finally understanding they have to do the job the local national promotions can't.

The rumored TUF: Canada vs. Australia cast.  There are like 5 Bellator guys on there.

Team Canada:

Olivier Aubin-Mercier
Luke Harris
Kajan Johnson
Chad Laprise
Nordine Taleb
Elias Theodorou
Sheldon Westcott

Team Australia:

Priscus Fogagnolo
Vik Grujic
Daniel Kelly