DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Askren's response to the Hieron criticisms:

Ben AskrenTo anyone who points to my Jay Heiron WIN to discredit my abilities consider this. At that point I was LESS than 3 years into my career and relatively inexperienced despite already being the Bellator Champion. I had a tough fight against the #16 ranked fight in the world(at the time) and was able to get the job done. I have learned and progressed significantly since then.As a point of reference the man fighting for the WW UFC Belt this weekend Johny Hendricks LOST a Unanimous Dec fight to Rick Story(who wasn't near the top 16 at that point) after fighting for MORE than 3 years.Moral of story high level wrestlers progress rapidly through their career. Despite my inexperience at the time I was able get the job done against a high level experienced fighter. I am significantly better than I was then and will continue to get the job done against any WW put in front of me.

I think if UFC is going to add another womens division that adding 115 is much smarter to add then 125.  Since adding 125 would just draw fighters away from 135 which in effect would just weaken that division.  I'm sure theres plenty of 115 women fighters there for them to sign, even some 105'ers who're willing to come up to get into UFC.

• Like 1

The thing is that it's going to do that anyway as far as weakening the women's bantamweight division. About three of the girls that already fought (or have been booked for the next few cards) in the UFC should be at 115. 125 barely exists in female's MMA so the only way to go was 115 where some of those girls should already be. I think the Sexton-Andrade fight had something to do with that decision.

Askren's response to the Hieron criticisms:

Ben Askren

To anyone who points to my Jay Heiron WIN to discredit my abilities consider this. At that point I was LESS than 3 years into my career and relatively inexperienced despite already being the Bellator Champion. I had a tough fight against the #16 ranked fight in the world(at the time) and was able to get the job done. I have learned and progressed significantly since then.

As a point of reference the man fighting for the WW UFC Belt this weekend Johny Hendricks LOST a Unanimous Dec fight to Rick Story(who wasn't near the top 16 at that point) after fighting for MORE than 3 years.

Moral of story high level wrestlers progress rapidly through their career. Despite my inexperience at the time I was able get the job done against a high level experienced fighter. I am significantly better than I was then and will continue to get the job done against any WW put in front of me.

in what world is Jay Hieron ranked #16 in the world but a Rick Story who had won 4 in a row in the UFC isn't near that?

moral of the story i like Askren even less now for putting someone else down to attempt to build himself up.

• Like 1

Maybe he's talking about now.  But at one point our own rankings on the old board had Hieron ranked at 10.  I think Story was as high as 8 or so at one point.  Point being that Hieron and Story are probably fairly close and Askren actually won his fight that he gets criticized for.  

• Like 1

Lima may or may not be able to be a fringe top ten fighter in UFC.  Problem with Bellator is even if they have a few top fighters is they're fighting in Bellator so they can't really beat the guys that you need to beat to get into the top ten.  To get into the Top Ten you generally have to beat other top ten fighters but if 99% of the top fighters are in the UFC you can't go about proving if you're for real or not.  That's why when ranking UFC fighters I try to only pay attention to the UFC rankings since they're all fighting against each other and in this modern era of MMA, it's too hard to rank fighters in the UFC to the rest of the world.