DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I am a bit surprised and not surprised at the Askren thing. The latter probably because Askren hasn't been in a competitive fight recently, and Bellator hasn't made the smartest moves. However, I think Askren was the most charismatic homegrown guy they had. His selling point isn't his fights, but they could've promoted his domination and ability to trash talk. Everyone else that is more Bellator homegrown doesn't have that. Either they can trash talk but clearly aren't a top fighter (Marshall, Koppenhaver) or are a top fighter but can't connect with people (Chandler, Straus, Curran). Fringe guys like Richman and Rickels aren't really going to add to your bottom line. And they just gave up promoting Shlemenko, Vegh, Dudu Dantas, and Volkov. They don't even say shit about them when they have tournaments for their belts. At least remind us who the champion is. What's the point of having a tournament if they're going to not be able to keep the tournament winner or champion around? In the same vein, how do you expect to sell someone like Shlemenko or Douglas Lima when everyone knows they got shitkicked by the guy that jumped ship? You might as well not even have title belts.

Caught up on TUF and I gotta again say I HATE BIG WEIGHT CUTS. I'll be so happy when they finally make some kind of rule about that. I just wanted to scream at that Cody Bollinger dude fight at 145 you pussy!

Cole Miller shoots the stink eye in your direction.

However, I think Askren was the most charismatic homegrown guy they had. His selling point isn't his fights, but they could've promoted his domination and ability to trash talk.

Yeah, but at the end of the day viewers would still have to endure his terrible fights.

Askren still has the WSOF to go to if the UFC offer isn't good enough for him.  Don't tell me Askren wouldn't totally mop the floor with Fitch, Carl or Burkman.  Fitch wins his fights with his wrestling and Fitch's wrestling isn't even close to being in the same league as Askren.

However, I think Askren was the most charismatic homegrown guy they had. His selling point isn't his fights, but they could've promoted his domination and ability to trash talk.

Yeah, but at the end of the day viewers would still have to endure his terrible fights.

That's sort of my point, but you can always angle it so people would want to see him get his ass kicked.

I don't think that WSOF can really match what UFC can offer Askren, just throwing it out there since they would have to be the only other place that he realistically could go to.  WSOF is still holding events in places like the Hard Rock which UFC no longer does anymore, they don't even do it for TUF FInales anymore.  TUF Finales used to always be in Hard Rock or The Palms but they've now moved those events to the Mandalay Bay.

No way that Dana will be interested in Askren.  He already feels like poking his eyes out with guys like Jake Shields. Every time he talks now it was absolute hatred toward ground and pound guys.  The only saving grace on him is that he cuts Sonnen like promos that Dana loves.

By the way, whatever happened to Cole Konrad.  I know it was probably years ago but he was a champ then poof gone

No way that Dana will be interested in Askren.  He already feels like poking his eyes out with guys like Jake Shields. Every time he talks now it was absolute hatred toward ground and pound guys.  The only saving grace on him is that he cuts Sonnen like promos that Dana loves.

By the way, whatever happened to Cole Konrad.  I know it was probably years ago but he was a champ then poof gone

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26/4148446/after-leaving-dead-end-fight-career-no-regrets-for-retired-unbeaten

I'm gonna out myself as a not-true MMA fan or whatever, but I really like Askren. His approach is just different, and that's what I like about MMA - all of the different approaches. There are guys who seem to do nothing but punch and then there's Askren, who's a great wrestler.

I'd love to see him in UFC to see if he has trouble handling the increase in competition, and I'd like to see how a fight between him and GSP would play out. Or imagine him vs. Nick Diaz. If Diaz hated GSP's "pussy" fighting style, Askren would make his head explode.

Askren would not fare well in the UFC.  His success in MMA has been a combination of his wrestling and the fact he was using it mostly against guys in Bellator.  Let's not forget a lot of people thought he lost the fight to Jay Hieron and he once got his face beat to a pulp by a guy on his back.

Posted Image

Askren would not fare well in the UFC.  His success in MMA has been a combination of his wrestling and the fact he was using it mostly against guys in Bellator.  Let's not forget a lot of people thought he lost the fight to Jay Hieron and he once got his face beat to a pulp by a guy on his back.

Posted Image

I couldn't disagree more. If he comes over, he's a favorite against every guy except GSP, Condit and probably Rory. If Hendricks beats GSP on Saturday, he might be a dog there. Otherwise, I'd take him to beat everyone else.