DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Anyone else watch the "Fighting for a Generation" doc that aired last night? I missed the first half hour so I didn't see anything about the very early days, but the rest was pretty good.

Meh, I didn't really learn anything new. No mention of Randy. Brock should have got way more praise for building the sport. They made it look like all the Pride guys got destroyed when they came over. I wasn't a fan. 

Except Brock didn't do anything to build the sport. He was an attraction for a couple of years. He made them some money with ppvs but that's about the extent. They're not doing anything right now that anyone could point to and say "if it weren't for Lesnar we wouldn't be where we are".

Anyone been listening to the Sherdog radio recaps of basically the history of the UFC?  Each broadcast is where they discuss from UFC 11-20, 21-30 and so on.  Really interesting to be reminded of all of the significant events that happened in UFC.

So far I've listened to the Sherwood, Savage, Meltzer, and Breen ones. All pretty good.

Watching the UFC doc right now. Great to see the early footage that I still remember from when I was a kid, some of which I still have on VHS. David Spade just gave the most brutal diss to Vince saying "Rebranding this must've been like whoever started the XFL selling it". Didn't even mention his name... woof. 

What happened to Pettis:

He rehabbed for 6-8 weeks after the fight with Benson and then tore his PCL checking the first kick he took coming back to practice. Could be out up to 4-6 months if needs surgery.

As opposed to signing someone new? If someone trained for two months, I would assume they would want to get compensated.

No, I meant as opposed to asking fighters who have been sitting on the sidelines for months.

They call those guys too. Being injured and/or not training (like many fighters accepting these bouts) is a good way of getting your ass whooped. Some are smarter than others. Can't blame them. There isn't one guy complaining about not getting fights unlike Strikeforce. UFC's turnaround rate is 75% better than it was two or three years ago.

• Like 1

What happened to Pettis:

He rehabbed for 6-8 weeks after the fight with Benson and then tore his PCL checking the first kick he took coming back to practice. Could be out up to 4-6 months if needs surgery.

That's unlucky. Cheers, Elsalvajeloco.

I think that fighters who've just recently fought make the best fighters to use on short notice since they're already within striking distance of the weight cut and they've recently put in a full training camp so all they would need is a tuneup for a fight in a matter of a few weeks.  While someone else who hadn't fought in 5 months mght not be anywhere near their target weight and while they might have been in the gym occasionally haven't done any serious sparring in several months.  Granted the fighters who just fought would have to have won their fights and took little to no damage in those wins to be eligible to fight on short notice like that.

Bellator has released Ben Askren.  Yes, their current Welterweight champion.  And you know what?  I don't blame them.

Yeah but do they still have matching rights?  Because I remember reading they released Eddie Alvarez as well and we know that was a crock.