DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Tough to say at the moment. I mean the UFC obviously wants Gustafsson and Cormier to challenge for the belt and at least have two interesting Jones contenders for 2014. But the first Jones-Gustafsson fight didn't do well on PPV. So they're hedging their bets that a Gustafsson win over Manuwa will help Jones get back to solid numbers with a rematch or they are more interesting in getting Chael fights than building pertinent LHW bouts.

Teixeira is already fighting Jones in 2014, so that would make for 3 interesting fights LHW title fights.  I assume that Jones/Teixeira takes place in March/April, Gus in late summer then Cormier would get his title shot around NYE if thjey want to fit them all into 2014.  I would book Cormier vs. Davis next so even if Davis does win he's still a fresh new opponent for Jones.  And even if Gus takes the belt you could book Davis as a title contender who holds a previous win over the champion.

I have a feeling that Aldo/Lamas will get moved to the FOX card in Chicago in a few weeks when they're more positive that Cruz will still be healthy for the SB card, the FW fight is only on there as insurance if Cruz's rehab takes a speed bump.  The SB card already has the BW title, Overeem.Mir and Gil/Khabib.  That's more then enough headlining fights for the card. But then again it's the first time they've held an event within the SB weekend experience so they might be overally stocking the card.

So Gustafsson now faces Jimi Manuwa in England in March 2014.

And the fight will be shown in the US on FS2.  LOL @ this company's plans.

Dammit... Comcast STILL doesn't carry FS2 (the former Fuel)... There's no College Football in March so I have no idea why they would do this... is FS1 going to carry the March Madness tournament or something?

It makes NO SENSE what so ever to put a fight that could determine the next LHW challenger on a channel that gets ratings that even Bellator laughs at.

FS1, Big Fox, PPV. That should be it. People are stupid and lazy and aside from the hardest of the hardcores they will not search hard to find something on some obscure channel (not like they advertise it anyway).

End rant.

I would imagine if Fox Sports 1 has a deal with college football games on saturday afternoons they would have the same with college basketball which is probably why it's not FS1.

They have a tripleheader of Big East hoops starting at noon. That'll take up a nice chunk of the day. If there were just two games, they could easily air it on FS1 starting at like 4 or 5 ET. They may actually have NASCAR obligations at night though, not sure.

The Machida-Mousasi fight will be on FS2 as well - how can you build him up as a title contender on there? Maybe they're banking on more carriage at the beginning of the year. I was told by a source at the beginning of the summer that a deal was reached and carriage would be coming, but here we are. 

I'm really interested in seeing Sergio fight, is his striking game as diverse as Anthony's?

Dunno, he's very adept at kicking people in the head, but as to hand power, I think he's only had one KO. Could be a very interesting fight.

Old, shot fighters never die... But I do wish that they would go away. At this point, Mirko has as much business doing this stuff as I do. Which is not at all.

I thought he already had the equiv of a Senate seat and was pretty much set for life... Did he watch a vid of the Funks return to Japan or something?

He also claimed that Jon Jones, Frank Mir, Reem, and Werdum should be fired by Dana White for going to the press conference of the Legend event and taking pictures with people.  Cro Cop is getting punchy and should retire.

Well, Reem should be fired for being an underperforming douche... But other than that, I agree with you.

• Like 2