DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

52 minutes ago, steve said:

Honestly, I had to Google her.

As long as they nail the red hair, I'm good.

She looks more like a Mary Jane than Dunst ever did.

I can't disagree with that. Still I'm never fond of racebending characters. If the roles is done well writing and acting wise I probably will leave it alone in the end anyways.

I just think it is fucking hilarious that there seems to be so much fuss about Zendaya being a black Mary Jane Watson, but no one seems to be bent out of shape about Marissa Tomei being MILF Aunt May.

It's okay for one character to be decades younger than she should be and not okay for another character to be a different ethnicity.

• Like 3

I have no real problem taking casting choices on a case by case basis, be they race swapping, gender swapping or just a weird choice.

Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin? Cool.

Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent? Eh.

Tilda as the Ancient One? Undecided yet.

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I mean, without knowing how much of a role Iron Man ays, she's arguably one of the top draws for the film as an actor, especially as pertains to the younger demos. If she's going to be the major lady lead, may as well give her the role to match.

Why would that be Mary Jane, though? Isn't the film set in Spidey's high-school days?

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I can't disagree with that. Still I'm never fond of racebending characters.

But is Mary Jane's particular ethnicity an intrinsic part of her character?

It feels more "wrong" to me that they're (presumably) dating in high school. Peter graduated in Amazing #28, but we don't even see Mary Jane's face until Amazing #42.

• Like 1

It'll likely take more inspiration from Ultimate Spider-man.

Peter and MJ have been in highschool together there, in the Raimi movies, in Spectacular Spider-man, and in Marty Jane Loves Spider-man. I presume that's just the new status quo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I just think it is fucking hilarious that there seems to be so much fuss about Zendaya being a black Mary Jane Watson, but no one seems to be bent out of shape about Marissa Tomei being MILF Aunt May.

It's okay for one character to be decades younger than she should be and not okay for another character to be a different ethnicity.

Marisa Tomei is 51 years old. A 51 year old in 2016 is way different than a 51 year old in the 1950's. As far as I know, they never gave a specific age for Aunt May in the comics, but I'd assume she wasn't in her 80s and think she was probably meant to be in her late 50s-early 60s.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Marisa Tomei is 51 years old. A 51 year old in 2016 is way different than a 51 year old in the 1950's. As far as I know, they never gave a specific age for Aunt May in the comics, but I'd assume she wasn't in her 80s and think she was probably meant to be in her late 50s-early 60s.

Auntmay.jpg

I guess she's just had a rough life, then.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Auntmay.jpg

I guess she's just had a rough life, then.

Honestly, it never made that much sense to me that Aunt May looked more like Peter's grandma than an aunt. If Peter was supposed to be around 15 when he became Spider-Man, presumably his parents were in their 40s -- or early 50s at their oldest.  Not sure why May would have looked 20 years older than her sister (she was Peter's mom's sister, right?).  Sure, you get age ranges like that in some families, but it's not the most normal situation...

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Maybe, but her frailness is more important than her precise age. Marisa Tomei doesn't look like a frail old lady.

5 hours ago, Dog said:

But is Mary Jane's particular ethnicity an intrinsic part of her character?

If anything I think it would be weirder to have Peter living in lower income parts of NY and having the people around him be as white as the comics take. It's part of why the argument for a black Peter Parker took off so much years back. The defining traits of his life code well to black youth in the US (and elsewhere). If black Peter Parker is off the table, diversifying the people surrounding him makes a lot of sense.

It's as logical a change as Peter living in an apartment instead of a house. In the 60s it was understood that (white) families could be poor and still own a house in NY. That's not the reality anymore, so they changed it. But you won't see anyone freaking out about the Parker house disappearing from the canon.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

If anything I think it would be weirder to have Peter living in lower income parts of NY and having the people around him be as white as the comics take. It's part of why the argument for a black Peter Parker took off so much years back. The defining traits of his life code well to black youth in the US (and elsewhere). If black Peter Parker is off the table, diversifying the people surrounding him makes a lot of sense.

It's as logical a change as Peter living in an apartment instead of a house. In the 60s it was understood that (white) families could be poor and still own a house in NY. That's not the reality anymore, so they changed it. But you won't see anyone freaking out about the Parker house disappearing from the canon.

There is a bit of a difference between changing a character and changing a house, particularly if the changing the ethnicity of a character might also realistically change the personality due to differences of likely culture. You mention how the defining traits of Peter Park code well with black youth, but how true is that outside of living conditions? Flash Thompson is the stereotypical American jock. How much of that do you see in Latin American culture? I have no problem with trying to make a more diverse cast, but generally speaking I prefer new characters or changing minor ones.

4 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Why whine?  It will all be reset in five years anyway.

Heh. If that's directed at me, I don't really have a problem with Tomei in the role. I was just affirming the idea that complaining about Tomei's relative youth is a more valid complaint than complaining about what's-her-name's ethnicity.

(What IS her ethnicity, anyway? I googled her and found some images, and I have no idea why racists would have a problem with her as MJ.)

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

It's Tomei based on the Ultimate version who isn't frail?

I've never paid any attention to the Ultimate universe. Did Aunt May know Peter's secret there? If not, what was his reason for not telling her? Just a teenage default behaviour of not telling your parents/guardians about important things in your life?