DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 16/05/2016 at 1:35 AM, TheVileOne said:

There was a time where Emily Blunt almost became Black Widow  Wonder what that would've been like.

I'm happy the way it worked out for the best with Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. Emily Blunt is my current favourite for Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. The other names I've come up with: Katie Sackhoff, Leslie Bibb (hang about, wasn't she the reporter in Iron Man?), Brie Larson and Kristen Bell.

For Captain Marvel, after seeing her in Live Die Repeat, I think Emily Blunt can certainly pull off the action bits, but I'm not sure if she has the look. Brie Larson and Kristen Bell both have the look, but I'm not sure how they would come across in an action flick. Plus, ever since Forgetting Sarah Marshall, whenever I see Kristen Bell on screen I see her as a character playing a character. It's just something I can't unsee now. Gillian Jacobs may be a good choice if she can put on some muscle or bulk up. I only say that because she looked so skinny on Love. Not to say that she didn't look healthy, but I'm just envisioning someone more athletic looking. I suppose that also applies to Larson and Bell.

• Like 1

Easter eggs are now being noticed.

The Bluth Staircar from Arrested Development was in the airport fight scene.

One of Bucky's codephrases was "Daybreak", which was a recurring song on Community.

On 20/05/2016 at 8:57 AM, Casey said:

There's a rumor going around that Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin will be in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Yes please.

On 20/05/2016 at 8:33 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

I like the sound of all this. Good to see Karl Urban in another comic book film. Shame Dredd didn't perform like it deserved to at the box office. I watched Dredd in the cinema and bought it on DVD.

On 21/05/2016 at 2:12 AM, Casey said:

Deadline is reporting that Michael Keaton has officially joined Spider-Man: Homecoming (most likely as The Vulture).

I approve. Michael Keaton won't have to go method:

michael-keaton-in-BIRDMAN.jpg

Urban is in the wrong Marvel movie.  Mother fucker needs to go and get fitted for his Cable outfit for Deadpool 2.

Good continuity move by keeping Vince as the Kingpin for Spidey: Homecoming.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

1. Valkyrie is not a new hero.

2. Why do they insist on using Brynhildr's title as if to imply that she's the only Valkyrior?

3. I cannot wait for Jeff Goldblum to chew on scenery as the Grandmaster.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

Urban is in the wrong comic book movie.  Mother fucker needs to go and get refitted for his Judge Dredd outfit for Dredd 2.

Good continuity move by keeping Vince as the Kingpin for Spidey: Homecoming.

Fixed that for you ; )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Some Fans Want Cap To Come Out Of The Closet.

Ooookaayyyyy. 

So two grown men who are childhood friends and have fought in a war together as brothers in arms cannot have a relationship that isn't quasi-sexual. 

*shrug* It's way less weird than him frenching Peggy's niece like, hours after the funeral. And queer audiences want a gay or bi male lead *somewhere* which they aren't getting. Thus far there have been a total of zero confirmed LGBT characters in nine years of Marvel movies. And it's not that there isn't an audience for them.

Basically, as with any marginalized group seeking representation, it's not that the characters can't be the thing you said, it's that the default is the thing you said and some audiences would like another option. It's like the Donald Glover for Spider-man thing.

21 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

*shrug* It's way less weird than him frenching Peggy's niece like, hours after the funeral.

The kiss wasn't that weird if you put it in context with the events in Winter Soldier.  Cap already had a thing for her when she was the cute and nameless tenant in the apartment across from his, not knowing that she a SHIELD agent there to keep Cap under surveillance..

Fury set it up that way.  He correctly deduced that if 13's cover were ever blown and Cap figured out what was going on, the fact that she was a Carter would cushion the blow.

It does not bother me that the LGBT community wants representative characters in the movies they find entertaining, but I just think it is idiotic to equate male camaraderie with attraction.  I mean, shit, Thelma & Louise worked without them being lesbians, right?